Guest viewing is limited

THR Aloha From The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recovery continues on status quo with very little to report. Going out for a couple or three hours about every 2 days, for lunch or dinner. Last night went to a concert, AND dinner, so that was a big one. I get plenty of rest always, afterward. Today, dressing up and going to a wedding, where I'll see lots of friends I've not seen since my surgery. Very excited, but have set myself a 2.5 hour limit. The wedding is outdoors so I know I'll have to be very careful! Walking (still with one brace) is pain free, but the hip does start feeling "tight" after an hour or so. Tomorrow I may try to go to church, we'll see how fatigued I am from today's festivities.
 
Wow Deb, what just 3 weeks or so post op and all these activities and social events.. At that stage of my recovery I was still sleeping heaps, lots and lots of naps..

My first big outing came at 4 weeks post surgery when we went to our beach hour supposedly for a few days and stayed two weeks.. It was glorious, but I still spent lots of time snoozing .

Good for you, and I am so pleased you are placing time limits on your activities and reassessing how you feel after a busier day... It will only get better from here :)
 
Passed my 4 week post-surgery and feeling a little bleh. I've been walking a fair amount (1/2 to one mile every couple of days, resting the others or doing light stuff and light PT), still with one brace. The brace is starting to annoy me, as it hurts my hand, which may mean I'm leaning on it too heavily. I am experimenting with using my cane around the house for the first time today. One thing is for sure: the pain in my operated leg has increased as my muscles and nerves are knitting back, so I am a little uninspired to do too much; I feel occasional sharp pains in my incision (normal?); and both of my knees are complaining a lot. It is two more weeks until my post-op appointment, so is it normal to feel that my recovery is a little "on hold" until the doc prescribes a round of PT visits for me to move to the next level? My incision is very close to 100% healed, so I plan to head to the pool to do some deep water walking and maybe a gentle water aerobics class (maybe the one for arthritis sufferers). Did you guys feel a little 4-week leveling off? My first weeks felt like I was progressing so fast, now I feel like I might have to be patient from step to step. Pain meds wise, I'm taking a couple of 5mg oxycodones during the day, and two before bed. Sleeping has not been a problem at all (I know I'm very lucky in that way, from what I've read on other folks' threads). Maybe: I should do a little more walking? I'm driving now, too, but only if I haven't popped an oxy in recent hours.
 
Hi Deb, I had that 4 week slump. You progress very quickly and suddenly feel like things have come to a grinding halt. Truth is you are still progressing big time. Keep up the walking but don't push things. Your mind is now clear and you want to get on with life. But you still have lots of healing to do. This is the critical point in your recovery. Do too much and you are back to square one.

Be sure and get your OS clearance to get in a pool. Then take things slow. You'll get there ... just a bit more patience.
 
Hi Debkakes. I'm also almost 4 weeks post op and am experiencing the same symptoms that you are: muscles and nerves sore (but they seem to get that way if I don't stretch enough or become too sedentary), and soreness around my scar. I think it's all normal. Keep reminding myself to be patient. I think that the water exercise is a fantastic idea. I will start with it next week also, and feel that it's a great way to strengthen our muscles by non-weight bearing exercise.

I have been walking with one crutch/cane around the house and it's working well. Let us know how that goes for you.

We'll both get there, and before long we'll be skipping down the street :-)

Have a nice Sunday,
Desiree
 
I went on the prescribed (by Jo) 30-minute walk around my neighborhood today using my cane (partner brought along the brace just in case), and felt absolutely great! I think I had been really "leaning" on my brace, but the cane won't allow it, so I used my new hip (carefully!) more naturally - no leaning into the cane, balancing out my weight on both legs. Resting up from it now with a cold pack, but feel like this is the right timing. Keeping the brace at hand, tho, and the walker still for night journies to the loo. Calling my surgeon's office tomorrow about heading to the pool. It's been pretty warm here (tho thankfully we are not in heatwave territory, being on the Central Coast in CA), so that should feel pretty durn good.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Aloha From The Other Side
 
oooops! Thanks! Wasn't sure since it was kind of a new topic, but you're right, it's pretty much a continuation.
 
I think there must be something about the four week mark... When I was at that point, a week ago, I was definitely down, feeling more discomfort, and discouraged about lack of progress. I just kept doing what I was doing, and now in the last week have strengthened enough to go to a cane full-time! I'm glad it sounds as though things are turning around for you now, too... Hang in there... Every day you are healing a little more. :)
 
So now I know: for now, cane 1/3 day and use for "big" walk. Return to Old Friend Brace rest of day.
 
Congrats on the recovery so far! I'm also just past the 4-week mark and today have noticed a little more soreness "inside" the hip...not just at the incision site. Nothing unbearable, just enough to warrant another dose of pain relievers. It's nice to know in advance that a little bit of a slump may be on its way. I
 
Everything sounds perfectly normal, Deb. Two steps forward, one step back. Around four weeks I was beginning to forget to use the cane around the house. I kept it with me outside and used it as I tired out. I would have a great day....busy, going places, seeing people, walking....and the next day whammo! Sleep a lot. This was also the point where I thought I could cut back on pain meds since I was doing so well, only to find out that I needed those meds to do so well. That's okay...two months of pain meds is not a bad thing. Isn't it lovely to get in the car on your own to go someplace?

The incision stuff is normal. Even now, I will get occasional twinges at the incision site. (Hope it's not scar tissue!!) So much trauma has been done to tendons and ligaments and nerve endings and whatever else makes up the soft tissue, along with the muscle and bone.....it's amazing we all recover as quickly as we do!

When you start PT you will move to the next level. I started PT right after surgery, and only once did I fee like they pushed me too hard. Mostly it felt good to get some structured movement, and I could see visible progress from week to week. Funny how different everyone's protocol is. I was finished with PT by the time you'll be starting. No matter....we all get pretty close to the same place eventually.

Sharon
 
debs, you are doing exactly the right thing. Use that cane and work to build up those muscles. Then back to the brace (crutch) to rest. You may feel a bit tired at first but rest and try again. Don't forget (like I did) that you have to go only half as far as you feel comfortable walking. I kept forgetting that the return journey was going to take some energy as well! :heehee:
 
Hi Debcakes,
Reading your post and it sounds like you are doing so well! I am impressed that you are able to do so many social thngs so early!!
I think it is a constant balancing act with the supports and of course, it will change daily. That balancing act seems ot be the same with the exercise,as well as the kind of exercise. The only thing that seems to be given so far is that I need to get up at least in 30 minute intervals or "bizarre" sensations and stiffness start happening in the hip area.
Thanks for the heads up on the 4 week mark, everyone!
Warmest,
Elle
 
I think you are doing really well. I remember improvement slowing down for me around the 4 week mark with my first hip. A little disappointing, but good things are still going on inside and you are still healing.

Dorothy
 
The only thing that seems to be given so far is that I need to get up at least in 30 minute intervals or "bizarre" sensations and stiffness start happening in the hip area.

Very common complaint Elle. It took me months to be able to sit for any long period of time. Meanwhile keep moving - it's better for your back anyway. Get up at least every 20-30 minutes.
 
Had a lovely day yesterday. Rested up for an outing to a local pottery decorating place with my husband. We spent a couple of hours painting (I was sitting on a very comfy high stool), then had a light sushi dinner, and went to see the new Pixar movie "Brave" (HIGHLY recommended!!). I used the cane the whole time I was out, and only started feeling shaky at the end of the evening. Today I am going out to lunch and a stroll in our lovely downtown area with a friend. Energy has been good, and I've been sleeping well.

The only glitch in this sunny scenario is that my husband is very worried about some recent "quirks" and is getting a colonoscopy on Thursday. I should say he is very worried. I tend to be the optimist between us, but he really feels there is something serious going on, and is smart enough to have put a lot of evidence together to convince himself. I cannot dismiss his fears except by reminding him out dangerous self-diagnosis can be. Anyway, we will know on Thursday if his fears are grounded. Please send up good thoughts for us!
 
Hi Deb

Pleased that your recovery seems well on track and that you are doing some normal activities.

Sorry, to hear about your husband, Thursday will reveal all, I will be sending prayers both of your ways :)
 
Hey Deb

Good thoughts coming your way, and your husband's especially, from Alaska! Hope all tu runs out well for him on T hours day. Your recovery sounds as though it is progressing beautifully. Good for you!

Suki
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom