Guest viewing is limited

TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karrington, Sorry to hear about your troubles. I really believe in power in prayer and will certainly send warm wishes and hugs your way. Are you still in hospital . Maybe they can monitor you for a few hours and adjust your meds. Than they can send you back home to your family or they can monitor you overnight to make sure the medication is effective. Does your knee still get numb when you elevate?? I really believe that could help. Please know that we are hoping your recovery takes a turn for the better!


As for your naughty doggies, im glad you were able to talk to the teens about this. Birds and the bees. That was the toughest talk I ever had with my son. I started sweating and stuttering. Apparently he wasnt paying attention as he made me a grandpa at 45. And he just turned 17. So get THAT talk in whenever you can. Post when you can , sincerly ivan .
 
@icep707 no I have been home a week!

I have to elevate more!! I can't find a way to do it that doesn't hurt. ANY suggestions???
 
By any chance were you given an Ace bandage type wrap when you came home? My doctor suggested that I wrap and unwrap my leg as often as every 10 minutes if need be. Said to wrap starting at the ankle and go up towards the thigh as tight as you can stand, leave for a few minutes and then unwrap. Repeat as often as you feel able. It is supposed to "milk" the fluid out of the leg. This combined with constant ice and elevation has kept things pretty under control. I know I can feel the swelling almost instantly when I get up to standing after elevating and icing. It is an odd sensation but it helps me understand just how much the elevate and ice are vital. I also feel like I have a throbbing or "dead leg" so of speak. Today had all of my kids home, their significant others and the grand kids for my grandsons birthday party! 13 people added to the mix. Even though at first I thought..oh I don't know if I am up to it, the day went great. Distraction from pain and people to help my husband out were all great. End of day I am exhausted with a bit more pain than the days before but so, so worth it to have the laughs that we did. Let people help you and laugh with you!
 
Hello @Karringtyn - sending hugs and much love across the miles to you.
I am so sorry that you are in so much pain.
As everyone else has said, you cannot compare your progress; pain level etc with anybody elses ........... that way leads to despondency and feeling a failure. I had horrid swelling which hampered my progress at the start, and ladies much older than I were bending their pristine new knees, all free of bruising and puffiness without a care in the world, whilst my ROM was the pits! As I have mentioned to others, my physio kindly pointed out that often the state of your knee before the op has a lot to do with your speed of recovery. Mine was rubbish and it sounds as if yours was a mess too. The 'bendy ladies' at my hospital freely admitted to being able to use their knees quite normally before surgery - it was the pain that made them have it done.
As for others on this site doing all sorts of 'normal' activities - from what I have seen, most of them are a lot further down the TKR track than you are. And lots of them post what they have done, and then just the next day confess that they have paid for it in pain and discomfort.
As for elevation - everyone here keeps singing from the 'How great is elevation' hymn book - I am just so pleased (whilst sympathising) that at long last someone else has said that it hurts! I found it SO painful and tried every pillow combo known to man to try and get something that I could put up with for a mere 10 mins. The first 2 weeks were the worst, and then I managed to get a combo propped up the head of my bed that worked for me and wasn't painful. I think you just have to keep shuffling until you get it right. I needed my whole leg and just under my butt supported, to make it comfortable. My place were not big on elevation, so I did the 'above the level of the heart' thing, 4 x p day and the rest of the time sat in the chair with my knee above my hip level. Also I initially slept part of the night with just one pillow under the operated leg, which felt good for me. Any properly supported elevation is good elevation.
Hang in there - it really does get better. I am willing to bet that in just a few weeks time you will be supporting somebody on this forum who is in exactly the same boat as you are now!
X
 
@Karringtyn
I was reading your thread & had to reply :console2:I am 9 months out from TKR.....Please stop
Calling yourself a baby...If you are in pain, you need to call your O.S. & get your pain
Under control. If you can't elevate tag Josephine & see what she recommends.
Everything you are going through is normal, " Why did I do this ?" Never thinking you will
Get back to your normal activities :beg:My husband was wonderful & I yelled at him a few
Times ( Felt terrible ).
You have a wonderful Family, you have us on "Bonesmart":friends:You are very early in your
Recovery, things will get better :) Is there anything you can think of to make you feel better ?
A special treat ? Maybe your daughter could give you a manicure ? Some flowers in your room
To cheer you up ?
My guilty pleasure was watching "Big Bang Theory" on Percocets, I never laughed so hard in my
Life :rotfl:
I hope you feel better,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Hi, just read your tale and so sorry you are having so much pain. I am 6/7 weeks post LTKR still have some discomfort but so much better than before op, and improving every day. For me the first 3 weeks were the worst with awful cramps and spasms in the knee. I am also a side sleeper but found with one of those V shaped pillows and in a semi upright position I could get 4 hours relatively comfortable sleep. Also I use 2 bags of frozen peas and the Cryo cuff in rotation, which seriously improved my swelling. By week 5 I could sleep for shorter periods on all sides, so that should be happening for you soon, as we are only a couple of days apart in our dates I think.
The advice here is fab I was really hard on myself at the start and pushing my exercising but once I was told to take it easy things started to get better, all the advice you get is right and invaluable.
Good luck and just think it will soon be summer and we will be skipping everywhere!!
 
Darli. Karringtyn is not quite 2 weeks in ! Still in the "why did I do this stage ". Hello Karringtyn, Hope today is a better day . Its very tough. And honestly if I were a girl id be crying all day, however ive been raised since 1st grade to be faster and stronger and not to ever let anyone see me cry, my dad was brutal and older brother got his kicks beating me. Than at age 13 starting running around with a group of boys that made lord of the flies look like boy scouts. In and out juvenile detentions and incarcerations till the age of 22, strengthening my body and mind to not ever be a victim or to let anyone see me as anything other than one bad mofo. All this obviously a facade. I turned my life around , mentor troubled young men (yet cant reach my own son ) and treat everybody by the golden rule. Havent even sipped anything in 15 years. My life now is better than I could of dreamed . Purchased a home in Californias wine country and even bought 2 new cars. All this as a 8 th grade drop out. My point is anything is possible , Now! Please elevate your knee toes above the nose and plop ice on that sucker !! Hope that this helps.
 
Six weeks, hardest thing I have ever done, I'm a career soldier, retired, seen and felt many bad things over a twenty-year span, though I was a bad azz, this hurts, period!!!. My inner strength pulls me through as I cannot undo what I decided to do, so the battle rages on, it is a fight ever day, but I can and will win, loose battles som day, but will win the war. My freind use all tools to help mange your knee pain both physical and mental, hang in there you will win. My mental battle is more of a challenge than the physical, I was use to goin a 100 miles per hour and now I must run at five miles per hour, something I knew would be extremely challenging for me, but I refuse to quit, is my motto.
 
Good for you @Billy . This IS a BRUTAL surgery and recovery for most. I'm impressed that you're up to 5 mph - I still hover around 3 :umm:
 
Good Sunday afternoon my friends.

Yesterday was a bad, bad day. Mentally I had it. Physically I was exhausted with the pain.

Today I am better. I changed meds around a little bit. Last night I drank prune juice. I ate a few bites of dinner. My cousin came over. I bit hubby's head off and then fell into a fit of tears. Not sure who I am being in these fits of pain, but it certainly isn't the level headed sweet person I usually am. I don't like it.

I don't want any stronger pain meds. I get stitches out on Tuesday and I plan to ask if I can be switched to Norco. That is what I like. My stomach can handle it and I get relief from Norco. When I broke my knee I wouldn't be on pain meds...I fought through the pain...I had a problem with taking too many pain meds years ago and it's not a path I will go back down.

I am not playing martyr I am just being real. I think pain meds for me have messed my body up, they certainly haven't helped with the pain, and only mask it for a bit. For me it's a mind over matter. I know it hurts, but I can't give into this pain...I CAN and WILL handle it.

So it's still early...but I lay here doing ok...been cutting coupons (yes I am one of those...I even have a huge fan page on facebook...)...and focusing on all the good that I have in my life.

Thank you to each of you!!:flwrysmile:
 
I take Norco and it works for me. It also helps me sleep. I am able to sleep 6 or 7 hours straight. Had terrible nausea for awhile but found out it was another med in combination with Norco that was making me sick. Now that I quit taking the other med, I haven't had any nausea and my appetite it coming back. We all go through the ups and downs and the downs are pretty low. I keep telling myself it is going to get better. When I think back to surgery for torn meniscus, I didn't think I would ever walk normally again and I did. Things will improve!
 
I got a text asking me to be a matron of honor in my friends wedding for next April. I honestly had to really think about it. Will I be ok in 14 months? For three years every step I have taken has been brutal and had to be well thought out.....but after I fought the fear...I replied yes. Just don't hope I have to wear a big bow on my butt. I will share here a pic of my hubby's and my wedding day...me walking down many stone steps...this was this past summer. I am surprised I did the stairs as well as I did.....
[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath
 
You look beautiful @Karringtyn ! How wonderful about your friend's wedding! Quite the honor and something to absolutely look forward to! Your biggest fear about this should be about the dreaded butt bow. I was MOH at my best friends wedding and although she put us in lovely pale pink column dresses, they had the hugest flippin' bows on the butt!!! What's up with that? ;)

@Texan , you're 6 weeks out and able to sleep for 6-7 hours a night?! I'm soooo jealous! I'm 10 weeks and am lucky if I can piece together enough 20 Minute increment to total 3 hours.
 
@DogLoverx3, I am 3 1/2 weeks out and I have slept most of the night since surgery. It has to be the Norco. I don't normally sleep well at all. I have even been taking little naps if I have had much activity during the day. Definitely one of the lucky ones!
 
Oy, apparently my lack of sleep has affected my crack ability to do math as well @Texan :groan:Now I'm TOTALLY jealous! I'm off all pain meds aside from Tylenol and the occasional Tramadol and although I've never liked Norco (nor has it liked me), if it would help me sleep, I would certainly give it a whirl. I so miss sleep. And naps. And being able to do simple math. :heehee:

Good for you for being lucky enough to be getting some good rest! I bet that helps you to avoid a lot of the 'blues' and total frustration with this process (i would hope)!
 
@DogLoverx3 , Oh no, the blues hit big time and I have days of total frustration. I am really worried about my ROM as it seems my knee has gotten really stiff over the weekend. I've been icing and elevating most of the weekend but it hasn't seemed to have helped. PT tomorrow.
 
Not too bad of a night sleep. I know I overdid it yesterday and I am completely swollen today, moreso than I have been yet. Just popped my last oxy. I go to docs tomorrow. I am hoping the staples come out! Anyone want to give me feedback on how that feels? I have 31 staples in. One I could almost dig out.....(makes me cringe as I just reread that!)

@Bluetechseeker been thinking about you all morning...saying a prayer....xoxoxox

@icep707 How are you?

@RickSt I owe union dues....and I am SO GLAD I DO!

@Foxmyster1967 you have been quiet...how goes it??
 
Hi yar Karringtyn,
I'm as sweet as a nut walking around house and village unaided, halved my meds, doing PT at home, took ofmy water proof plaster today knee scar looks great. Thing is I'm not one for Facebook Twitter any of them sorts of sites, I came on bonesmart to find out about TKR but now I've had it done I'm all good I think the post op site is like Facebook really just people chatting about anything. I still have a look around from time to time but I'm just concentrating on getting back to my normal life. Chat soon my love and hope you are doing well. Foxy.
 
Not too bad of a night sleep. I know I overdid it yesterday and I am completely swollen today, moreso than I have been yet. Just popped my last oxy. I go to docs tomorrow. I am hoping the staples come out! Anyone want to give me feedback on how that feels? I have 31 staples in. One I could almost dig out.....(makes me cringe as I just reread that!)

@Bluetechseeker been thinking about you all morning...saying a prayer....xoxoxox

@icep707 How are you?

@RickSt I owe union dues....and I am SO GLAD I DO!

@Foxmyster1967 you have been quiet...how goes it??

Pulling staples out isn't painless but you can handle it . They use a neat little staple puller . I had 45 staples . Thanks for the dues . I booked our last excursion in Alaska yesterday, a flight completely around Mt McKinley with a landing on a glacier . All dues appreciated . LOL
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom