Guest viewing is limited

TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't even know in home PT was 'a thing'. Glad you knew to ask about it. Awesome that your pain is under control! Be sure to time your pain meds to be working when PT gets to your house though on Monday. I think most people take them about 1/2 hour prior. Not so that the PT can push you too far, but just so you have a better chance of doing well. Sounds like your at home routine is working great as your OS is so pleased! Keep up the great work!
 
@DogLoverx3 thanks. I am hurting this afternoon. Kids are off to their Dad's soon and it's snoozing time for me...just took some meds......
:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:
 
Sounds as if " you got this ". Way to go ! We are still early on. Take your time. Try not to stress on getting back to work. That can be a mistake. Make sure you are good and ready. The Iceman :loll:
 
I love how much better your mood and outlook are today! Keep up the great work! :)
 
@DogLoverx3 it's crazy right???? You are actually meeting ME! This is how I am normally.....well months ago before the knee got as bad as it did. I know I will have good and bad days...but I am savoring this day.

I never did get that nap!

Pain is a little higher tonight....but I got this.
 
Yes, there will be ups and downs, but hang onto the good days and enjoy them when you can! I hope you sleep well tonight! :sleep:
 
Before long you won't be taking hardly any pain meds . I take a couple of generic Tylenol PM's before bed then maybe 1 or 2 regular Tylenol's during the day, maybe . My PT is exactly the kind you want . There are exercises that are going to hurt a little but they're usually the ones where you're stretching your muscles back in shape for extension . Piece O Cake .

Rick
 
Unlike Rick, I had to take pain meds consistently until @ 8 weeks out when I could finally start cutting back. I tried, and failed (painfully) several times to cut back before I was ready to. At 10 weeks now, I take only Tylenol and the occasional Tramadol (or stronger) when I overd0, but it took me a good while to be able to cut down. :-( I'm lucky to have a good PT as well. I'm sure you'll do just fine! xoxoxo
 
It's a rollercoaster.

Today has been hell. I cried most of the morning. The pain is so throbbing. I iced, took meds, relaxed, read, tried to sleep....nothing has taken the edge off....I am going to take an oxy here in a bit......that should help. I know I overdid it yesterday. My doc told me that just because I see something that needs to be done...it doesn't NEED to be done. Hubs is sick. He is still working. He is a mess. He just slept and slept and I cried quietly. He is probably worn out taking care of me. A friend stopped over today with an iced coffee...my favorite.....and we chatted...she kept telling me how good I look, but there is pain in my eyes. Yes. I can't hide that well, huh?

Pain right now? A 10. I am camped in bed for the rest of the night/day...whatever it is.
 
Oh sweeite, I'm so sorry. You had such a good day yesterday! This happens a lot. It is the roller coaster effect and the. Step forward, 2 steps back syndrome. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Up your pain meds is you need to. I didn't even try to cut back on mine for over a month. Truth be told, I cried every day for the 1st 41 days (yes, I counted) at least once a day

I'm sorry you're having a bad day. :(

i'm.es, i
 
Hubs has the flu, had to go to work....he worries about me so much, he got a verbal warning for quality control......(he is a welder)....and I feel guilty...he can't focus cuz he is so worried about me.

SUCH AN emotional day.

And I feel like I am coming down with the flu...it's hard to tell if it's the flu...or just being run down from surgery......someone just tell me to GET OVER IT!
 
Nope, there's nothing to get over sweetie. You are ALLOWED to be emotional and in pain. You're allowed to worry about your husband and his job. You're allowed to see a sock laying on the floor and leave it there. ;-) YOU have been through so much and there is SO MUCH pain involved with this recovery. It's exhausting and hard to deal with. Please allow yourself to feel blue or down. Please also know that it will get better.

I'm sorry hubs is sick and I hope you don't get sick, but maybe it would take your mind off of your knee? ;-) I threw my back out @ week 4 or 5 and was like, really?!?!? How much more can I handle? I got through it though. This surgery and recovery sucks, plain and simple. You've got all of us here on BS behind you though.

You're doing great!!!! You'll have a great day again here very very soon and eventually, the good/great days will outnumber the bad ones. I'm glad you're taking an oxy (or 2) to help with your pain. xxoxoxoxo
 
Unlike Rick, I had to take pain meds consistently until @ 8 weeks out when I could finally start cutting back. I tried, and failed (painfully) several times to cut back before I was ready to. At 10 weeks now, I take only Tylenol and the occasional Tramadol (or stronger) when I overd0, but it took me a good while to be able to cut down. :-( I'm lucky to have a good PT as well. I'm sure you'll do just fine! xoxoxo
Same here. Just quit the Norco at the end of Week 8. @DogLoverx3 , did you suffer any withdrawal symptoms? I was barely taking any Norco when I stopped, maybe 2 pills in a day, but I sure felt it.

@Karringtyn you are doing great for 2 weeks out. I had the same roller coaster, think we all did. I am the worst patient in the world and even knowing that, I still try to do too much. The pain is temporary and it will pass. You will be looking back on these early post op days in a few weeks and it will seem silly. Everyday and every week it will get better.
 
Karringtyn you are doing fantastic! Please take care of yourself so you don't come down with what your hubby has. But, if you do, you will get over it so don't worry. I'm glad to hear your in home PT will be starting next week. My Physical Therapist (torturer) was here today and put me though my paces. Says I'm doing good, but a long ways to go. Starting on some harder exercises now. I am 2 weeks out today, so guess it is time to step it up. The Oxy is starting to bother my tummy, so have to keep crackers with me to eat when I have to take pills. Otherwise, I am doing well or as well as can be expected in the cold tundra of Minnesota! YUCK- it is going to be well below zero again tonight. I don't have to go out I go to my first post op Dr. app't next Thursday, so hopefully it warms up by then. Ok, going to bed to ice and elevate now. Hang in there. Mimi
 
Karringtyn. Sorry to hear that the meds are not as effective as you would of hoped. Did you talk to your OS about pain control while he removed the staples? How often are you elavating and iceing ?? That usually should give you some relief. Up until Monday I had my knee iced and elevated 20 hours a day. Swear to God!!!! I am not exaggerating. Kid, I hope it turns for the better very soon . Adios !!
 
@icep707 I agree....I have spent almost the entire past 2 weeks with my toes above my nose and connected to my ice pump. I know it sucks and is even uncomfortable but I think it has been my salvation. I asked my doc today if I should keep it up and he said...if it ain't broke why fix it. So I am sleeping on ice again tonight! :groan:
 
@Karringtyn ,

Wow!

Finally finished reading through your whole ordeal, and you are doing wonderful at this stage in your recovery! With a new Hubby from TX to help you, you get the merits of learning "a whole new language" as you recover!:rotfl: Hope "y'all":heehee: have a wonderful life together!:happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom