Guest viewing is limited

TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh boy. Pain is at an 8 plusssssss.

Got hubs from work. I think all the driving, banging my knee and PT for a 45 minutes session has caused me to sa WHOA. Taking it easy tomorrow!!! I have one more hour till pain med.....this is intense. Babes is like I am going to give you a full body massage after I finish eating. I keep staring at him. LIKE can you hurry lol....see

[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath
 
Oh, I'm soooo pleased for you Karringtyn, what a wonderful post. I know exactly how you feel, my first week driving (which wasn't until 8'weeks) made me feel so free and independent, I was so happy. I probably did too much, but nothing extra meds couldn't cope with.
I'm down on the very tip of England at the moment, in a gorgeous granite cottage. We are out walking every day, on the cliffs mainly, a bit on the beach, but walking on sand is tricky, if the knee twists I know about it.
[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath
I think this should enlarge if you click on it, just to give you an idea.
Take care and keep happy xxx Ellejay
 
Ooh, I meant the great post about driving, not the level 8 pin - that came in whilst I was writing. xxxx
 
Really tired out today. It's an up and down kinda thing huh? Today was a good day...stuck around the house...got all the bills paid and spent the evening sleeping lol....who takes a nap at 6:00 PM? I am hoping my sleep tonight isn't affected. Usually I can sleep at the drop of the hat so it doesn't matter, lol. Pain is about a 5 right now. Watching a lifetime movie and chilling out. This is my weekend with no kids, hubs is working the entire weekend his second job. I think I will continue on wedding scrapbook as my goal. It is suppose to be very nice out tomorrow like I have been saying, so I am excited just to have fresh air in my lungs.

I was getting dressed today and putting on my shirt and hubs said....WOW babe! I said what???!! I thought something was wrong. He was like you have lost so much weight and your body is getting defined. It's weird how much my body has changed strength wise! I feel every part of me changing. Mind, Body, and Soul. I get it. From a knee replacement.

Surgeon said yesterday my identity has been my knee for the past few years.

AND now that's all changing. :)
 
Dear Karringtyn,
I hope you don't mind me popping into your thread :) I know it is hard on you right now :console2:
You have so many key ingredients for a wonderful recovery.
A wonderful husband, who truly loves you, a great P.T ( hold onto him for dear life) switch if
You have to:yes!: Also your friends on "Bonesmart" who care deeply for you. Don't compare
Yourself to others, you will only bring yourself down. Also, call your G.P for a prescription
For an anti- depressant, I did & it made all the difference. :SUNsmile: Now, if we could do something
About that :puppysmooze:Of yours. We would be heading in the right direction :heehee:
Better Days are ahead,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Karringtyn,
I realize I am popping into the middle of your thread but so glad to see you back on....
You mentioned it was so hard to stay on Bone smart when it feels that you are not making the progress they are or that you had hoped to see.
Please keep in mind when you read the threads that there are probably two groups that are underrepresented:
Group one- that are progressing slower than your pace and are not writing or
Group Two- a group that is doing well and not taking the time to write.
Sometimes I find if I log on and read and leave my measuring stick out of the room I am better off. Part of the truth is that somedays each of us may find ourselves with a foot in both camps. Glad you have a counselor that is also there for support. You are blessed with many people who care about you each day.
 
@waitingtogarden It made me do a lot of thinking. Everything about my life has been ALL about how the knee is feeling. What we did that day, how much I worked, where I went, what family vacation we had.....heck even my wedding last summer was based on my knee. I wanted to get married NEXT to the falls, but couldn't make the hike up there....so we got married at overlook.

And now, well even this early on.....things aren't quite as dependent on my knee.
 
t made me do a lot of thinking. Everything about my life has been ALL about how the knee is feeling. What we did that day, how much I worked, where I went, what family vacation we had.....
This was me too!!!
 
@Karringtyn my whole life revolved around my knee pre op. At the moment it's still a bit like that for me personally. However, there are little things happening now that make me realise I am improving. Like being able to bend my knee when I pick something up off the floor or being able to walk short distances like going round to the corner shop without my stick. I'm in pain today, I'm due to see my GP this morning.

@pippi you are absolutely right about people who make slow progress don't tend to write. The reason being that if they read super duper recovery posts by Alpha males and females who try and outdo one another, it makes them feel inadequate and feel like that they are not progressing as they should.

However, I have to say I'm nearly at twelve weeks and mine is a slow recovery. I have been honest and written about it. My friend Dogloverx3 is further on still than me and she is having a rotten time with her recovery. Again, she has written about hers too. Our early posts are a completely honest, frank, blow by blow account of a slow recovery. Like Karringtyn we used to compare ourselves which was a big mistake. Recovery is an individual process because we are all different. In the end I totally avoided 'Alpha male and Alpha female' type posts that made me feel inadequate.

I do not ever begrudge anyone a speedy recovery I applaud it, I embrace it, I always cheer people on, even when I might be having a really awful day. Unfortunately, some people have a way of writing that makes anyone who is a slow recoverer feel as though they are not normal , inadequate or a bit of a fraud, which just is not true! However, when I found myself in that situation I just simply withdrew myself away from them. It's not hard to do. I have a lovely group of friends on here including Karringtyn. Some of these friends have recovered fast and not once have they ever made anyone feel inadequate or slow. It's just the way some big headed people out there write I'm afraid. Like I say it's avoidable, it's life and if we were all the same, life would be so boring wouldn't it?

Officially, I should be back at work next week but I'm nowhere near well enough yet. I wish I was. I know that once I'm back doing my jobs, I will start to feel some kind of normal again and my mental recovery will improve too.

@Karringtyn keep on posting with your honestly and frankness, it helps lots of others to understand how up and down this recovery process really is. This is why I write as well as trying to support people too!

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Your on going honesty helps others to see that it is okay to write whether they are having a good day or a day of wrestling alligators day. Good luck with your GP appointment. Here is to you for reaching some new milestones (bending knees to pick something up, walking corners without sticks). Just think prior to surgery that would have been a major "woo-hoo " moment and now you can do it as you wish!
It will be interesting to see how we define ourselves now not around our knees. We can start to answer PO, "what is our new normal?".
 
Hello @Karringtyn. Just thought I'd drop by and see you how you are? I wanted to make a further comment about knees. Something occurred to me today. I posted pictures (I know how you love them!) of my grandchildren today. If you look at my face on the pics on the ones graduation pic and compare it to my new Avatar selfie I took a few days back, you can so see the pain in my face. So although my knee has been a pain in the rear, wiout realising it there are other benefits that we often overlook or don't realise.

Please have a lovely weekend. I hope that the scrap booking goes really well.

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxo
 
[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

I never do full length...but wow! I am standing so much straighter!!! My knee is very swollen...but it's getting there.....but sooo tall!
 
You look great in all the photos, but WOW, that third photo. Well on you way to recovery, with all the bumps and lumps along the way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom