Guest viewing is limited

TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
@susanne Unfortunately hubs had to work and it was my weekend with kids....but next weekend...WOOT WOOT...I gots some plans
 
[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath
 
Hi @Karringtyn I just read your post where you say your scar is puffy. Mine is too today but that is because my knee has swollen. It's also a bit sore too x x x how are you feeling? X btw love the poster it is sooo right!
 
FYI. My therapist the one I love said 15 minutes of icing is enough. Not to sleep with ice pack. He said because the knee is numb in. Those 15 minutes anything more isn't worth it.
Opinions??
 
I know. I've been waking up with this heavy wet ice pack tied to my leg until I realized I didn't need for mor than 15 mins. What ever happened to common sense???
Had mani today and a 10 minute massage heaven!
 
@susanne Has that therapist had a knee replacement. ? I ice minimally a hour at a time. And if im not walking, im laying down elevated and iced. Which I do most days. Im 6 weeks in and I have 6 more weeks to go till I go back to Costco as a butcher. As long as a barrier between skin and ice is used, it cant hurt to ice more. I believe this to be a major reason my recovery has been not very painful. In fact I drop the oxys after week 1 and elevated and iced even more. If you think about , practically every bonesmart on the recovery side emphasizes, proper med management, elevation and ice. The only debate is for how long , which Is very valid. My opinion is more ice , less pain. My 2 cents. @Karringtyn hello little sis. Hope all is well . You have made huge improvements in your recovery and im so proud of you. It aint easy as you know, I overdid like no other on Wednesday. Im still sore ! In the bone sore !! From all that standing . Lesson learn. My GF s son and her niece spent the night Friday night. We had such a great time , laughing , eating, watching movies . They even were intrigued by my electric stimulator. We were rolling on the floor while I demo it on them !! Ha ! Thats all ill say . Best wishes
 
@icep707 I wonder if this is where I've been going wrong? I've not iced anywhere near as much as you. I've elevated but not iced every time. I think I'm going to try this. Unfortunately I don't have an ice machine. So I have to rotate ice packs. This means umpteen trips up and down my wretched stairs! I'm good with meds. Mmmm you've made me think. Trouble is I tripped over an ottoman yesterday and hurt it all over again! Thanks for the info. Love Nana moon 27 x
 
@Nana moon 27 I would bet my dollar to your nickle that this very well may be a factor. I spared no expense pre op. Well I did but I didnt . I got most everything second hand. Even my ice therapy machine on e bay for 65 dollars. Which was a steal. I purchased 2 quality ice packs for 20 dollars from my chiropractor, but if I remember correctly, she gave me one , if I would talk to her family member about a serious situation. Than I bought a old school cloth like bag with a lid and screw on cap, where you fill up with ice cubes for 4 $ brand new on ebay. What a life saver. Nighttime can be more frustrating but if your ice things are melting in 15 minutes they are ineffective. I really thought most bonesmarties were icing religiously, as it is a natural pain reliever. If you need to purchase gel packs , multiple ones to stock in freezer. Than you can switch them back and forth. Its a tough ordeal and I noticed you have kept a great attitude, sense of humor and great empathy for others. Even during your down days. Along with good pain meds management and constant around the clock elevation and iceing, I do push my limit at times , especially very early on. I work hard at Pt. Maybe to a fault. But overall any damage I inflict on myself , is treated with hours of ice and elevation. Of course it gets cold and wet, but ill take cold and wet ovet throbbing pain . BTW your thread with doglover and the other girls is hilarious.. Bon Jour , oui oui?
 
Lol @icep707 oui oui you 'ave been reading ze posts non? Ha ha. Glad you like them. Doglover and me misbehave frequently but we change words so as not to offend anybody. Like you see us talking about mars bars a lot? Think mars bar floating in water, that will give you a clue! :whistle::heehee:

I will sort out the ice issue starting tomorrow. Thank you for your help Icep I truly do appreciate it. Keep up the great support you do. I like reading the posts between you and Karringtyn.

Take care it's a pleasure to chat to you x

Love Nana moon 27 x
 
I need to put a picture of it on here, it's puffy. It's UGLY. I had pride in my scar.....it was BEAUTIFUL.....it's nasty now. And about ice...I iced my knee so much I had to buy another ice machine! LOL I Sleep with the ice pad on it and then switch out...(I don't use machine anymore!)....any thoughts of calf pain? Anyone else? I talk to doc tomorrow about it
 
Unfortunately I don't have an ice machine. So I have to rotate ice packs. This means umpteen trips up and down my wretched stairs!

@nana moon Have you thought of buying a real small cooler? You could keep it by your bed full of ice and some extra Ice packs!

My therapist the one I love said 15 minutes of icing is enough. Not to sleep with ice pack. He said because the knee is numb in. Those 15 minutes anything more isn't worth it.
Opinions??
I sleep with mine and, haven't had any problems with it at all as a matter of fact I keep icing my legs 24/7.....It just depends on the day for me because the icing makes me feel so much better :)



Of course it gets cold and wet, but ill take cold and wet over throbbing pain
:iagree:
 
Icep707 I've been getting bad leg cramps also. A few other people I spoke to has the same thing...I try and stretch before going into bed which is sometimes difficult since I love laying in bed....also iron pills, potassium like bananas help. My neuro suggested tonic water a bottle a day but I only like that with vodka. I bought in health food store called LegCramp which really seem to help
I too ice my knee all night. I have the frozen gel in a case and strap it to my knee. When I wake up repeat with another ice pack that's my exciting evenings until therapist said 15 mins enough!!
I guess we do what's good for ourselves but nice to hear others ideas
 
I've only iced a few times during the whole process so far . My limp is almost gone and my knee isn't very stiff when I stand up and it goes away in a few steps . I must be an anomaly . Whatever that is .

Rick
 
@susanne oh dear goodness I can't stand tonic water!!!!!!!!! wow. The cramps hurt so bad.....

Anyone have any input on my scar and why it is puffy?
 
Hiya sweetie! Your scar looks good and is probably just healing, but glad you're seeing your OS tomorrow so he can put your mind at ease. Potassium and Iron are the best things for leg cramps I think. Keep up the great work, K. You're doing awesome!
 
I think your scar looks fine. Wait I'll send you pic of mine. This could be our BoneSmart family album. I have no idea how to do it maybe from my thread?? I'll try again
 
[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath
here's my log knee don't mind the mess around me. Once I'm tucked in here I can't move Ive got ice on knee heat on my shoulder and on either side if me a kitty and cookies. What could be better!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom