Guest viewing is limited

TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 17 and if anyone had told me I would be walking by now I would have called them a liar! I am supposed to use a cane but that just ties up a hand that could be carrying something so it usually ends up over my arm or something! I am easing up on the icing quite a bit now mainly because with the frigid weather outside I just can't stand being cold anymore! Have decided that after tomorrow I am going to try to be a bit more productive because the inactivity is driving me nuts! I promise I will not over do it but I have plenty of small projects I am always saying is wish I had 10 spare minutes for that I am going to tackle...all from a seated position! Want to get something out of this time off of work besides a great knee! After 19 years of a wobbly leg it is nice to feel confident with it...even if it is with a cane in the ice and snow of Wisconsin. Now if I could just sleep.....
 
Hi @Karringtyn I hope that you are feeling better now. I did a stupid thing and tried to walk upstairs "normally". It happened quite by accident and at the point of no return in the bend with all my weight on it...ouch, ouch, triple ouch! And had to jump back onto my non op leg. Then I seemed to be ok. As the day went on the pain started again and OMG did it hurt. I had it checked by the physios who said to do. No weight bearing exercises and rest, elevate, ice!!! Josephine thinks I have Tendinitis and I am inclined to agree with her because the symptom and the location of the pain match perfectly!!!
 
Sorry posted before finished. I wanted to say congratulations on doing so well you are so strong. You also have an emotionally supportive husband which is great. So stay strong and I'll chat with you soon x x x x love Nana moon 27
 
Hi @Karringtyn - I have been so happy to read your recent posts - not the ones about your flu, poor thing - but the recent ones that have you feeling better, more positive and moving forward. Who knows, perhaps the evil flu knocked you out and gave you some much needed sleep?
All is good with me but the last few days my scar feels as tight as a ....... well I don't know quite what it feels as tight as! Not very comfy but healing so well. Like you, I am not precious about having the scar (I already have one that goes around most of the knee cap) but the fact that it is neat and tidy makes me feel a bit better.
Cant chat now as I am off to visit my old Mum. Hope you have a good day - don't overdo things and get too confident - just little steps. Every day in every way you are getting better and better.
Take care
X
 
It's neat because it use to be all steps back....for the three years leading up to surgery I never made progress....yes now it's 2 steps forward and one back....but it's still one in the right direction. Yes I am stiff. VERY stiff. Did exercises this morning and they seemed a piece of cake. I am ready for the next step. So how is everyone walking? With walker? Crutches? Cane? nothing?

Would love to hear. There are some days I NEED my walker to get to the bathroom...
 
What a roller coaster ride @Karringtyn ! You paid for admission and have certainly gotten your money's worth.

The typical recovery thread I read generally goes like this: procedure performed, optimistic post-op, discharge, pain onset, limitations realized, uncertainty onset, doubt/question, a turn in recovery, pain manageable, positive results, optimistic outlook once again.

So where does BS come into play on this road to recovery? Every aspect of course, but most importantly during those times of hardship when your spirits are down and you're in desperate need of motivation (ie, the bottom of the roller coaster). We should be proud and honored, as the BS community, to support you in your time of need.

It was a pleasure reading your thread and seeing your progression, thank you!
 
Hi, Karringtyn. For me, I still use my walker out in public - more to protect me against the people around me than anything else. I take it to outpatient PT because I feel like jelly legs afterwards and need the support. In the house, I'm using a cane. I've started alternating the sides I use it on since I had both knees done. You could transition to a cane or crutches but I certainly wouldn't recommend going solo quite yet. And, of course, on the days you feel you need the walker - USE IT!! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Karringtyn we are all different in recovery but I have only been off my crutches for the last week but back on one because of what I've done to myself. It was my 5th or 6th week when the PT told me to stop using crutches around the house and that I could go out without them if I felt able but to hang on to them in case I went out and was nervous or my knee gets overtired.

I've only been round the corner shop and visiting family without it. I am still a little nervous and have to get my confidence back. This is a total shock to me because confidence was my name before this op!!!!

@Bluetechseeker is absolutely right about protection from other people !!!!!

I would suggest you speak to your PT first x x x x
 
@RedRider thank you! With me it is always honesty.

And with me, nothing comes without lots of obstacles.

I am sitting here with ice on my knee as I suddenly had some knife jabbing/stabbing pain on the inside of my knee suddenly. I was just sitting here with music in my ears and BAM...the pain hit. I don't even want to call it pain, more of a KNIFE being jabbed in me.

The ice is calming it down.

I am not one to be around today. I am moody BI%^&. I just want to get dressed up, get in my car, and go drive, Go hiking. Go shopping. GO ANYWHERE but look at these chocolate brown walls and the darn laptop.:hissy::hissy::hissy::hissy::hairpulling::hairpulling::hairpulling::hairpulling::hissy::hissy::hissy::hissy::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:
 
My solution when I feel that way? I just sit here and burst into tears :tantrum::hairpulling::cry::boohoo:throw a nice little hissy fit, give a full-on pity party for myself, then dry it all up and try moving forward again. For me it's worse if I just try holding it in, I've got to vent and let it all out or I WILL be a raving lunatic. 'Course, it doesn't change a dang thing, but it sure makes me feel better for a while :tada:

Hang in there, it does get better - especially when you can cut down on the pain meds and you start doing regular stuff without being wiped out or causing more pain/swelling. Even getting back to a more normal/regular diet did a world of good for me. It's all just baby steps towards full healing and recovery :friends:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath
I had one bad night in the hospital after my second replacement done 2 days after my first. After that I was one of those disgusting people that never had the blues, never felt discouraged, and just rolled with the slow, slow flow of TKR recovery. But I am a cockeyed optimist, and I had had my left hip replaced 11 months before my knees and had a pretty good idea of what was coming my way. Plus I had found the forum, believed in the mantras and followed them. But I understand how and why others have those bad times and feelings. I'm so glad we're here to give everyone a place to be understood and to vent when they need it.
 
Calling everyone and ANYONE! I need YOUR help. Please be honest. As honest as you can be, it will help me. Tell me about your day, a typical day when you wake up, till the point you go to bed. PLEASE be as descriptive as you can be. Tell me how much you do, walk, eat..... I will gain so much from it you have no idea. PLEASE and THANK YOU! Please include how many weeks out you are as well!!:puppysmooze: that's me...kissing your cheek!!

@dogwheels @braindoc @Nana Mo @Bluetechseeker @Nana moon 27 @Mimi2u @DogLoverx3 @RickSt AND anyone else that would like to share. I want to see what others are experiencing on a day to day battle. I will explain more after. Please if you would take a few minutes and share with me, it really will help me so very much.
 
Calling everyone and ANYONE! I need YOUR help. Please be honest. As honest as you can be, it will help me. Tell me about your day, a typical day when you wake up, till the point you go to bed. PLEASE be as descriptive as you can be. Tell me how much you do, walk, eat..... I will gain so much from it you have no idea. PLEASE and THANK YOU! Please include how many weeks out you are as well!!:puppysmooze: that's me...kissing your cheek!!

@dogwheels @braindoc @Nana Mo @Bluetechseeker @Nana moon 27 @Mimi2u @DogLoverx3 @RickSt AND anyone else that would like to share. I want to see what others are experiencing on a day to day battle. I will explain more after. Please if you would take a few minutes and share with me, it really will help me so very much.

Pretty boring actually . My wife made me retire way early .

My typical day is... I get up and decide if it's a shorts or a long pants kind of day, usually shorts . We're going up to 81 here today . I fix a bowl of cereal, a cup of tea or coffee, maybe some juice and a banana . I go take my morning maintenance drugs then hit my recliner with Miss Lu at my side . I do this . I check emails, FB, weather, BS get my 8 Ball points. This morning Claudia has a meeting at the club house . I don't have anything today . When she gets back we're going to TJ Maxx in Clermont to return a box of wine glasses that I forgot to open and see it was missing a glass . We may do some other shopping . I don't know yet . Then it's back home , the recliner and TV or I may go down to the billiards room at the club house and bs today . I'm not up to playing yet but I'm getting close .. That's about it . I have a very boring life but at least I don't have snow .

Rick
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom