Guest viewing is limited

TKR Almost 8 months later...the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
@icep707 I agree....I have spent almost the entire past 2 weeks with my toes above my nose and connected to my ice pump. I know it sucks and is even uncomfortable but I think it has been my salvation. I asked my doc today if I should keep it up and he said...if it ain't broke why fix it. So I am sleeping on ice again tonight! :groan:

My Physical Torturist says she just doesn't think I should be icing all the time! HA, she doesn't have a clue how much it helps! I pointed out that the ice isn't in direct contact with my skin and it continuously circulates cold water, but not frozen! I love my Polar Ice machine. I always have a cloth between my skin and the inside of the kneepad. Keep on icing everyone!
 
@Mimi2u, same for me and my machine actually works a bit as a compression sleeve as well as the water pumps through it, depending on how tight I put the Velcro straps on. I would be lost without my ice pump!
 
So here I am. Thanks to those that messaged me! Yes I went a day not on here. I have been so very sick with the flu. It hit me like a ton of bricks. It's been good to sleep and sleep. My body needed it. Knee is doing good. I will include a pic. I LOVE how good it looks. Pain is about a 4 today. I did a bit around the house and I am back in bed. Watching a lot of Netflix and working on my couponing fan page on Facebook. Hubby works both jobs today and the kids are with Dad this weekend...so I have a lot of ME time.....which I truly think will include sleeping. I have never fallen asleep mid sentence, mid text, mid tv show...until now. It's crazy.

I think it's neat to look at this picture and see the spot where the staples were...and the very faint line of where the incision was. I don't think I will have much of a scar. Not worried about that too much anyway. I am not vain.

Oh home PT? Well they called. My insurance co pay is 33% which equals out to about 50 bucks. So I asked her "tell me straight up what you will do for me as far as PT." She laughed...she told me...I told her...well my hubby is a body builder...big time work out kind of guy...and is my PT and I am doing all of that....and she said "yeah...I will be honest...this will be a waste of money for you!" So Monday I will call and figure out where to go get PT once I can drive. My ROM is great....I can walk awesome with the walker and without it I almost don't limp...which is odd...because for 3 years I have limped bad...Not sure how I am going to feel WALKING normal lol.

I am back to bed soon. I just feel so wiped out and it's time to ice...the knee is swelling....

[Bonesmart.org] Almost 8 months later...the aftermath
 
So sorry to hear that you had the flu...yuk! I told my husband this morning that it is a good thing that I loved my bed and sleeping as much as I already did or I would be going nuts right now. He could never do it....he sleeps about 5 hours tops and is always on the go....this would drive him nuts!
Sleep, sleep and enjoy. Feel better (flu) son!
 
Hi @Karringtyn, I am ever so sorry you're not well and hope you make a full recovery soon hon! Poor you. I had a virus the other week and felt so ill and sorry for myself because I felt I was going through enough with the knee with having to contend with that!!!! Please get well soon and hope to hear from you when you're feeling a little better. Love Nana Moon 27 xoxoxoxo (hugs)
 
Your scar looks great. Great that you were able to have a frank chat and find out the best PT plan for you. :thumb:
 
I am positioned in bed right now, so comfortably I could cry. HAPPY tears. I was rearranging my wine glasses a few minutes ago as I got a new wine cabinet and I saw my peach schnapps and I was like...OMG I have OJ...that will hit the spot. Then it hit me. Duh....You are on pain meds....There are moments that I forget that I had this surgery, that I am feeling THAT good, and walking THAT good, that it is the last thing from my mind. It is in these moments that I feel so much hope. I thank God for those moments.

I have said before that hubs moved our bed from guest room down into our living room. It is so cozy down here....we have a huge house....but we have it in the corner....hubs has been lying in the inside since I got home from hospital. Well last night we switched....me on inside. I slept AMAZING. I slept on my left side...RIGHT leg swung way over...positioned the hip just right...he held me oh so close.....massaging my right hip...(that side has been untouchable for weeks)....and I slept better than I have in a LONG LONG time. I felt so safe, so secure, and so pain free. I woke up for the first time NOT stiff at all! He said I cried out a couple of times in the night and I had tears streaming down my face (I don't have ANY clue)....but he said I looked so beautiful and so at peace and he watched me sleep. He should have been sleeping as today he had to work 15 hours.....but to him he said it was more important he watched me and could soak up in the peaceful look I had on my face.

I am getting there. Day by day. Some days it's moment by moment.

But no regrets. The pain has been HELL. But it will be worth it. I can see it now.
 
@Karringtyn...other than the flu, you are kicking some butt girl! Awesome. Even though you are not going to do home PT, please do outpatient PT. Your husband may be a beast/weightlifter etc. but, the PT people really know how to get you where you need to be for the best long term outcome. For me, as I can be in surgery 12-16 hour days, I need to be able to fully extend my knee. When you are flexed at the knee, the muscles in the thigh are firing non-stop. That will cause significant fatigue, pain and wear one out. If one gets to full extension, then you are standing on your skeleton so to speak. The bones are taking the brunt of the downward forces, but that is what they are supposed to do. With flexion, it is to be able to walk downstairs and upstairs etc. my PT today got me to 112degrees of flexion!!! It hurt, but then I was able to get on the recumbent bike for 9 minutes with resistance. Yes, the PT does hurt at times. However, they are always asking me how it feels and if they need to back off. So, Karringtyn, my friend, get over your flu, get to PT and so them you are one tough chick with a neurosurgeon friend in Tucson that will come out there and kick their butt if they treat you bad! Sounds like your husband is like my wife. Hard workers, always going, but there to make sure we are okay
Braindoc
 
Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing better than having a wonderful supporting partner! My husband has always been a wonderful, helpful guy and but he has proven that even more during this journey. He never says one word even when I was waking him up almost every hour! Luckily for us our master suite is on the first floor..we designed it this way so when we are old we can stay in this house forever.....now I wish I had a reason to have my bed in the living room by the fireplace....sounds wonderful
 
aww braindoc my friend you ROCK!!! I am calling Monday and getting it rolling !!!!! How are you feeling?? Big plans this weekend?
 
@Nana Mo I LOVE our bedroom on the first floor right now, when we sell this house and buy our home....I think I want one level...I really do. Two months ago we thought we found our dream home...things fell through...and I know things happen for a reason....and well now I know that reason...it was a home that was 2 stories...with lots of steps....all things happen for a reason. I was devastated at the time...but honestly our closing date would have been today...and I am in NO shape to be moving, unpacking...etc etc
 
Oh LUCY LUUUUUUUUUUU ! Other than the flu sounds as if you turned the corner. Im so happy for you. My inhome PT was a waste of money but it got my butt out of bed . Out patient starts Tuesday . All things happen for a reason , like the house. You will find a dream house enough. Are you in upstate NY or by the Burroughs ? Im a lifelong california guy. Me and cold dont along. You will notice very soon some milestones. They are great ! I actually got in my car , drove to safeway and did grocery shopping all alone. That to me is a milestone. also got a refill of my tramadol which was getting low. OS called in refill within 30 minutes. I was actually surprised. Well one day at a time.. my sleep is terriable.
 
The top of the stairs.....holds the beautiful bathroom with a nice tub/shower. I decided today would be the day. 16 up and 16 down. Those steps were a piece of cake.

SO proud. I did it. Wiped me out the rest of the day....but I felt so accomplished!

We changed the sheets to the satin sheets on the bed....ahhh wonderful feeling.

I did the stairs. Not one. Not two. 16 twice. 32. Big stairs.

:yay::happydance::egypdance::yay::happydance::egypdance::yay::happydance::egypdance::yay::happydance::egypdance::yay::happydance::egypdance::yay::happydance::egypdance:

Mind over matter. Yes it hurts a little. But you push yourself a little. Once I did the first step...I knew I had it

Pain is about a 5 today. Tolerable. Slept a lot. Now off to watch some movies with hubs.

A good Saturday. 18 days out. Knee looks great. No matter what pain I feel, I still feel solid and secure on that puppy!

Life is good.

@icep707 @Nana Mo @Nana moon 27 @Mimi2u @dogwheels @braindoc @Bluetechseeker @Billy Can I please get an update on my friends????? How are you?
 
Hey@Karrington, 17 days out from surgery and I bathed and groomed my 3 Yorkies today! Of course, I did sit and have a good cry when I was finished because I was just so exhausted. Good for nothing else, but sure was good to get that done! They were getting stinky! I've got to go after my exercises very hard tomorrow and then next day cuz no PT until Tuesday this week. Doctor's app't on Thursday and want to have a decent ROM when I'm there. Still snowing and cold here in MN. Take good care, Mimi
 
Hey, everything is fine out here in Kentucky, except pending ice storm, released by the PT and OS Thursday, getting back to normal, thank god. Hang in there and you will do fine, just a time consuming process. Always live forward and not backward. :)
 
@Karringtyn, you rock girl!! Doing all those steps. That is truly an accomplishment. I am happy for you. I had a so-so day. I think I was overdone in PT yesterday. We did new exercises and my flexion went to 112. Big jump, but I felt it. I woke up at 3:15 and never went back to bed. Needed a refill on my meds. My son drove me to Target. I got a cart, bought some **** for the kids etc (my wife was working all day). They did not have my meds. I walked next door to the Albertsons (3/4 mile). It started to pour!! Obviously, I can't run so I got drenched! First rain in 2 months...comical. Albertsons was quizzing me due to usually filling Rx at Target. I showed them my scar, told themI was a Surgeon and asked if I could help expedite things. They were ultimately quite nice and I got my prescription filled. Just a lazy day for me, I guess. My friends are playing in a member-member golf event that I LOVE to play in. I have missed it 2 years in a row due to my knee. I rode around yesterday with them and had lots go laughs and some adult beverages. We will all look back in 4-6 months at these posts and chuckle. I am confident that we are all kicking some butt on this knee replacement gig! Enjoy movie watching with your hubby. My wife and I watched Wolf of Wall Street last night. Ssshhhh, my secretary had a pirated copy! I had read the book, movie followed it very closely.

Enjoy your satin sheets!
Braindoc
 
In one word BLESSED! Not much to report. I do start out patient therepy on Tuesday. So im somewhat looking forward to it. Isnt it great to NOT hear your knee any longer. All the bone on bone noises gone !! Congratulations on the stairs , and to take that shower is heavenly . I think recovering here in Sonoma County has been a blessing. All the greenery , blue skies and bright yellow sunlight cant help but to be motivated and excited about the next couple of months . What meds are you taking ??????????? and are you iceing alot..I know its a pain in the butt but iceing really really helps . You enjoying the weekend without the kids around . I bet it gets quite when they are gone . Well my friend , remember "WE GOT THIS ". Lucy LUUUUUUUUUUUUUU !!!!!!!
 
Yay, Karringtyn!! Those stairs are a HUGE accomplishment! Now - just don't over do it!! :ok: It's truly wonderful hearing how positive you are, and how nicely you're moving through your recovery. I always felt each little step of "normal" took me a huge step towards "healed". Keep doing what feels right to you, but listen to what your knee tells you - it's kinda tricky sometimes to be active but not TOO active and pay for it later!

I've had a lot of forward strides this week, totally amazing to me :happydance:I'm at 105 on the CPM for each knee now!! That's a tremendous improvement for me - I never could've dreamt last week I'd have such improvement after the MUA's on Monday. Yesterday and today at PT, I swear I've had Attila the Hun - nice enough girl, but wow her boney little pokey fingers HURT when she's working on me! I told her today that's what I was calling her and she had a good chuckle out of it. I can actually RIDE my recumbent bike now, too!! Sat there tonight for a good fifteen minutes just pedaling along, wow, it feels great. :bicycle1:I have a "day off" tomorrow - um, yeah, just not driving to official PT, I'll be on CPM and bike off/on during the day.

My thighs are so sore from the muscles actually working - it just really shows how successful I was at over compensating before the MUA's - good thing I'm limber, I think that's the only reason I was as mobile and self-sufficient as I was. I have my FUP with OS on Friday, my personal goal between now and then is to get to 120 on the CPM for each knee - I dunno how realistic THAT is, but I like having a goal :cheers2: I will say, though, all this PT and recovering from the MUA's have left me utterly exhausted - every day when I get home I take a long nap. It reminds me of the early days with it's energy drain, eesh, just gotta give into it and do what my body is screaming out for.
 
Way to go @Karringtyn !!! I'm so proud of you! I bet a shower never felt so good huh? Well, besides the satin sheets, that is. :) Remember that with each new victory, to try and minimize any 'kickback' by icing and medicating. Soon you'll have more and more victories and not have to worry about after effects! Keep up the great work sweetie!

@braindoc , I'm in Phoenix and we had the crazy rain/drizzle/hail/sunshine/thunder/downpour that only Arizonans can relate to! Sorry you got caught in it but did you really walk 3/4 mile to Albertsons instead of driving? Hmmmm. Glad you got to play with the boys yesterday. Even if you didn't get to swing a club, you got to be a part of things!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom