Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Maeve. I think you're right. I have benefitted from all the PT and the work in the pool. Your mentorship in this has been really helpful for me. I carry the collapsible cane but have not needed it yet. I guess it's muscle building to carry it. Thanks again. When you posted that you were telling yourself you were less stable pre-op, a lightbulb went off for me. Enjoy your travels.

TeeEm. Yeesh! The 90% rule for six months. Poor lady. How lucky we are! Thanks for sharing. Makes me feel lots better about six week precautions :)
 
LeeApril26 TeeEm Yes, blood clots... I remember those heavy white surgical stocking they all had to wear. She was probably on heparin, too. Well, the good new is - she and her hip have made it for 30 years, and it's serving her well.
Maeve A big congratulations to you, dear girl, for your wonderful recovery, lifting of your restrictions, and your ready to travel outlook. You did a lot of work and have a very nice outcome. Enjoy your new hip and all the joy that being pain free will bring you. Have fun on your trip! Take care.
 
Maeve Fantastic report. I bet you are so glad to finally get rid of the pillow and great that all precautions have been lifted .

I went into our town centre today and saw a lady a good bit older than me jog across the road to avoid being ploughed down by a bus - got me thinking if it was me crossing could I have moved quickly enough to get out the way? so I tried a bit of jogging in the garden. It was a very odd sensation like my body had totally forget what to do and how to do it. No pain or anything, I just didn't remember how to do it . it did click eventually and I ran a few yards just enough to know I can if I needed to.
 
LeeApril26 I'm looking up Belleruth Naparstek and wondered if this was the CD you found so helpful? Thanks!

[Bonesmart.org] All Done
Ease Pain - Health Journeys
by Belleruth Naparstek
 
16 week update
Just came home from what was supposed to be a Tai Chi class-my first, but turned out to be yoga as the Tai Chi instructor is on vacation.
Now that I can get up and down from the floor yoga is doable-took a class last week with a different instructor-that was my first since surgery.
  • I'm doing more every day, but still have not made it to two miles, walking. I have done 1.7 with a break in the middle.
    My gait is okay until then but if I go farther my left foot slides out, and I get back pain.
    My right knee still gets painful, especially going downstairs, so I assume my left glute still needs work.
    Still icing after activities, and sometimes still get a wave of exhaustion
    I have been totally off NSAIDS for a week, after taking them for more than two years.
    Have been taking turmeric for a couple of months for inflammation, and have just end added Danish rose hips.
    My thumbs hurt, and have started using a stylus for the iPad. I think I have "gamer's thumb" like the 12-year-old boys playing Game Boy.

I'd like to be walking further and faster, but compared to February I'm doing well, and very pleased that I can take subways again.
 
Awesome update, Lenora! I know you still have goals that you are working toward, but look how far you've come!

Can I tell a story about me? I started a walking program when I was eight weeks post-THR. I'd been so immobile before surgery and really couldn't walk at all. So, eight weeks out, I couldn't even walk ÂĽ mile before I had to stop and rest. Then I slowly made my way back home.

I had this goal to climb a hill near my home, but I could barely make it to the next block. Well, I kept walking and, by the end of that summer, I made it up that hill. It wasn't pretty, but I did it. You will too. Whatever your hill is, you'll get there. Just keep walking... and resting and icing and taking OTC pain meds if needed and appropriate for your situation.
 
alexthecat Thanks so much. I do feel I've come a long way, and I am very grateful. I am so happy to be swimming and doing water exercises again, and the two yoga classes have been good. I know I have OA in the other hip, so would like to get as strong as possible before it goes. My goal is to walk 3 miles. I used to do it regularly, and go further, but it has been a while. Kind of like your hill, I just keep trying to go farther.
I am nervous about all the medications I've taken for knees and hips over the last two and a half years, but I sure do miss the Mobic. I have an appointment with my PCP at the end of the month and will request kidney and liver function tests. Again, thank you so much for your support.
 
Hi Lenora, I have been MIA for almost a month with double pneumonia so am trying to catch up slowly..

16 weeks... Where has that time gone!

"I have been totally off NSAIDS for a week, after taking them for more than two years...... Fantastic.... That is such a big milestone and your kidneys will thank you!

Have been taking turmeric for a couple of months for inflammation, and have just end added Danish rose hips.... Excellent addition, Rose Hips.. I attended a Webinair on the benefits of RH with OA... I have always taken them as a tea or tincture... Good for you!... I am impressed :)
 
Thanks, Poppet. I'm glad to hear that you are emerging from the pneumonia. Sounds dreadful. Hope you get warm sunshine to finish healing.
 
Thanks Lenora.. it sure has knocked me around, but hopefully Spring and warmer weather is on the way. We are having blue skies and sunshine for part of the day, but bitterly cold winds.. You know those lazy winds.. Go right through one rather than around. Take care honey :)
 
Songlady. Peaches. Thank you both for your support. I am drinking water like crazy, and took two Tylenol this a.m. before tackling JFK on my first post-surgery trip. It was fine. I pulled my carry on and had a large bag, and could do it. Flight was also easy-got up every hour to walk a bit, then managed LAX and the car rental shuttle. My husband has a newly torn meniscus and bruised and pulled hamstring in the other leg, so I did my own lifting, etc. I'm tired but not wiped out. Felt good. I'll probably be hobbling tomorrow.

How come I never see old people or large people in Santa Monica? They must be somewhere?????
 
Hi LeeApril26 I am glad to hear that you managed really well getting through JFK, the flight and coping with renting the car and that you have made it to LA.Enjoy your holiday.By the way how did your poor husband injure himself ? His injuries sound nasty.
 
Kim22. Thanks. He probably wore/tore the meniscus over time. He used to be a long distance runner-18 miles or so regularly, and he played tennis. His knees hurt about ten years ago and he gave up the running, and continued tennis and very long walks. This summer tennis was painful in his knee. He wore a brace and played anyway, and badly pulled the hamstring in the other leg, twice. Bruises the size of my hand. Finally went to the doctor and started PT before we left. At least the trip is forcing a break from tennis. I hate to see him in pain. I think he hurt the left hamstring compensating for the weak right knee.

Hope your visit with the physio goes well on Monday. I know you need to figure this out.
 
LeeApril26, so glad to hear you survived the odyssey from NYC to LA. I will have to get your advice about suitcases, bags, and navigating it all. Lugging heavy stuff really makes my lower back and other hip scream. It must be a wonderful feeling to have managed all of what's involved getting from here to there. No small feat. Wonder what kind of wwalking you'll do? Do they have sidewalks?
Very sorry about your husband's injuries and I hope it doesn't derail him too much during your trip. I hope you have a great time out there. Give my best to Larry David.... :)
 
Thanks, Peaches. I am taking a break at the moment, as I walked on the beach this morning while my son surfed, and that was tiring. (Looked like the surfing was tiring, too!) Not much sun because of the "marine layer." We are staying in Santa Monica, so there are sidewalks, but few people walked on them. I can never get used to the idea of driving to take a walk. No Larry David in sight.

I used a carry on suitcase with wheels and a largish tote with a small handbag inside. I always carry any meds and a change of clothes in the tote, because I have had times when I was forced to check a bag at the last minute and wound up separated from it for days. I also have lower back issues at times, but this trip was okay. Have been doing a reasonable amount of walking with minimal pain. Climbed up to the roof of an observatory yesterday after a bit of exploring and was sore on the op side. Time for another excursion.
 
Yay, LeeApril26 I am glad youa re there and doing OK! I think for me the trick has been not to get too alarmed each time something hurts. My lower back has been "Screaming" to use a Peaches term I believe because I stood on a cement poolside and watched someone swim for an hour this morning - but, ho well! I'm sure a good sleep will help it. So I hope you deal with the aches that come and go.
Sorry about your husband's issues! Gosh!
Carrying meds in a handbag is so smart! When my kid went on a wortrip to Honduras they were told to bring meds and a change of clothes on board in a backpack in case their luggage didn't make it on the same plane, and that proved to be good advice!

Great to hear from you! Congrats on making the trip! :cheers:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom