Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poppet
Could you please clarify this sentence from your article?
"Just one point to make, if you are taking NSAIDs and commence taking Omega 3 Fatty Acids research has found that there may be a rise in your CRP which they have indicated could be due to a rebound effect."

Does that mean that you should not take Krill and Omega 3s in general together? I have been taking Fish Oil capsules. I would hate to be making it worse. When I finish the bottle I will switch to Krill.

I have been taking Turmeric with NSAIDS (Mobic 15mg) for about three weeks in the hope that I can switch to Aleve, and eventually eliminate the NSAIDS. I have been taking them for two years, for my knees and thumbs. My thumbs are starting to improve. Would the Turmeric have the same rebound effect?

Thanks so much for the article. Very informative.

Lenora
 
Hi Lenora, LeeApril26..

Definitely finish off your fish oil caps first, I would suggest you do not take both together.

Lee, have you had your kidney function tested having been on Mobic 15 Mg for two years? Not to alarm you, but it was the NSAID Mobic that caused me to lose kidney function (within the space of four months) and resulted in Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) as in my signature. I lost 60% kidney function in both kidneys and the first surgeon wouldn't do my surgery... I am now under the care of a Renal specialist who is passionately opposed to NSAIDs.. his opinion of course. I am not ever permitted to take any form of NSAID for the rest of my life.

It is a simple blood test, to get your GP to test for kidney function and the eGFR and Creatinine are the two main ones they check, although there are other tests in the suite of bloods for kidney function. I stress this is not to alarm you, more about knowledge is power :).

Also Aleve (naproxen) is a NSAID, not sure if you are aware of this?

With the regard to Tumeric I don't know the strength or dosage you are taking? So cannot comment without that information.

Disclaimer: This post is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. All reasonable care has been taken in compiling the information. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
Poppet. I am not sure if my kidney function was tested. I hope they did it prior to surgery, though. The exam was comprehensive. I am aware that Aleve is a NSAID, but understood it to be less risky for the heart. Also hoped to just take it occasionally, if the Turmeric works. Tylenol kills the liver and NSAIDS kill your heart, stomach and kidneys. What is one to do about pain? Can't have all my joints replaced.
I tried white willow but got no relief.Have taken SamE for a long time, and pain increases when I stop it.
I am taking two 720 mg capsules of Turmeric daily.

Thank you for any guidance you can offer. My brother lost a kidney to cancer so I need to hold on to both of mine in case he needs one. Both of his children are ill and unable to donate.
 
Hi Lenora, LeeApril26, I wrote a very long reply to you on my iPad and have lost the lot.. Unlike my MacAir, the iPad does not have the restore auto-saved content.

So my apologies, I will reply to you next time I am logged on. It is getting late Sunday night and I have to log off now ready for work tomorrow :)
 
ByGosh Peaches zauberflöte Songlady sandpiper@bottomshollow Liveringer Littlejem Elosarabrab Kim22 Poppet Liveringer Maeve octopus and apologies to anyone who I didn't include. Hope this is helpful to someone someday.

Had my almost 12 week check up with the surgeon's PA today.
All went well
  • The xray taken six weeks ago showed the implant sited perfectly so she said it is unlikely to dislocate from my tripping over a sidewalk. She said the most common ways she's seen dislocation are from skiing accidents or heavy surf. Will decline to boogie board on future trips to visit my son in LA.
  • My gait is fine and range of motion excellent, so I do not need another prescription for PT. She said too much PT is counterproductive, as injuries happen. I'll complete my last two sessions scheduled this week, and then I'm done.
  • Regarding infections, she said that as I get further from the surgery, they recommend checking with a primary care physician when I have a fever from a cold, pneumonia or any other infection. Otherwise, antibiotics for dental work and UTIs.
  • No restrictions except the breast stroke, and sitting with my knees turned in and feet out. So, no bending over the outside of my operated leg to buckle a shoe. Foot up on knee is fine when I can do it comfortably.

A few more good things:
  • I tactfully referred to my surgeon's rant about sandals and "wondered" did he mean that just after surgery or did I have to avoid them forever. She smiled and said, "Oh, he must have just been worried right after surgery. Everyone wears sandals. Yeah!!!
  • And, as of last week, I can finally swim. The leg stopped feeling like it was going to pull the implant out of the joint, and it all came together. Swam laps for 11 minutes twice, after exercising in the water. Will take it slowly, but very excited.

Been following Maeve in her mantra that she was more unstable before surgery and can do more things now. Gave up cane as well last week in the country. Just walked 3/4 of a mile through a busy rush hour commercial street with no cane. Very excited.

Thank you all for your support!
 
Poppet Where is the article about NSAIDS and Omega 3s ? I take both :yikes: I was prescribed naproxen 500mg twice a day, but my GP told me to go really easy due to the kidney damage link so I never took more than 500mg three or four times a week, even if I was in agony. She also said recent research shows they are really bad for bones and blamed them for the fracture I had and said they enhance AVN . I still take 250mg 3 times a week for my knee as there is no valid alternative, but wish I didnt have to.
@leeapril22 where did you get the SAMe from? Ive been tyring to get some for ages. Ive heard it is really good.
 
TeeEm. I buy the SamE at a discount store, Costco. The brand is Nature Made, and in the US they are available on Amazon, too. I started with 400 mg a day-2 pills. Now mostly take one daily.
 
LeeApril26 - Yay! What a great report - and how good that you have had the sandal issue put to rest! It sounds as though you are doing beautifully! Yay for no cane, too! Although I did without for much of the past few days, today was "iffy" for me in that regard (more discomfort after sitting for prolonged periods) so I am remembering my experience from 3 years ago and thinking that occasionally I'll still want to use the cane - and I'm trying to feel OK about that, also.
Pink toenails - !!:egypdance:
 
LeeApril26 Great report from your visit today. Everything is right on track for you - and you can wear sandals, too! :yay: with pink toenails as well. How happy you must be for all of the good news. So glad you can now walk without a cane, too. Good for you!

Poppet - Now I'm curious about the NSAIDS and Omega-3s. When you're able, would you please let us know where the article is? Thanks! Or do you know LeeApril26.
By the way, that was an interesting link you posted about the research in the UK for OA. I wish they had that figured out now.
 
ByGosh and TeeEm The article is in the Library. Pull down the icon, and you'll find a list. It is in the Nutritional section.

Thanks for the good wishes.. There is OA in the "good hip" but the PA said I hopefully have two years or so.
 
LeeApril26 Thank goodness you have a few years left on the other hip! Whew. And thanks for the info on the article. You're always so helpful. :)
 
zauberflöte Thank you! I think my OS would disagree with the PA, but she is more realistic, it seems.
And yes, I would like to show off my pink toes, ByGosh.
 
Poppet LeeApril26 I just read the article about Omega3s and NSAIDS thanks to LeeApril26 's rapid response to my question on how to find it (she's so helpful!) and I don't quite understand what they mean by 'rebound effect' when taking both together. i.e. - is that a bad thing, or only temporary and harmless? Should we not take them both? Anyone who know the answer, please be so kind as to advise/explain. I appreciate it! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom