Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Songlady so far, so good. My husband seems to be doing okay. The brace on the right knee seems to help. I don't know how you stood on that cement for an hour. I find standing still, even on a store line, much harder than walking.
It's good they warned your son about bringing essentials in a backpack. When I visited my brother in OR it took three days for my bag to be delivered! I learned the hard way.
 
LeeApril26 I'm glad the knee brace is helping your husband! No one wants to be hurting, especially on a trip away!
My kids were very lucky; their leader for that trip was extremely experienced in leading such trips and to that part of the world. They learned a lot from her and from going on the trip!
We once went to a family wedding and our suitcases took the scenic route in joining us. Not fun - but we didn't have to wait 3 days! Goodness!
I can report with happiness that whatever hurt yesterday was restored with a night's sleep! :sleep:
 
Walking on the beach sounds like a nice break from city sidewalks, LeeApril26 ... probably a good workout of different muscles, too. Those rolling bags are annoying when they clog up city sidewalks, but they were the best invention. Hope you don't have to do a lot of heavy lifting, as that can cause the lower back to hurt almost instantly it seems. I also think standing can be worse than walking. I do use the word 'screaming' a lot, don't I, Songlady ... I don't use it for minor blips and "age associated" aches and pains. The lower back pain is very difficult and thus seems to scream, and you know how it is one someone screams--it blocks everything else out and you can't ignore it. If we could ignore pain, we wouldn't have had the surgery in the first place. I celebrate the moments when I have low pain and can move around a lot. Yesterday at lunchtime was glorious. Walked steadily and just enjoyed "being in the moment" without debilitating pain or mobility problems. Not concerned about the distance, pace, wining any kind of race. Just living and walking and enjoying the sun and not hampered by the screams. Walked up stairs without holding on, which is still a challenge for me to do. I almost always use the railing, but practice going without it sometimes. I revel in it when I can. Today the lower back is screaming so much I can't focus real well and ignore it. Kind of blue about it today, actually. I had a cousin by marriage who had horrible back problems, lots of surgeries, needed a wheelchair frequently. Whole life revolved around Band-Aids to manage pain. It drove him up the wall, and I couldn't appreciate it quite until now. I'm glad your good night's sleep got rid of your standing pain. Standing is hard! Hope everyone has a good weekend. We've had lovely Sept. weather in the northeast......
 
Hi, LeeApril26 ... hope you haven't gone all Hollywood on us. Or Santa MonicaHood. Hope you are having a wonderful time. I'm sure you don't miss the cracked and irregular sidewalks. Did you pack your magic heel pumps for the plane ride? Take care and let us know how you're doing when you have time. Give my best to the Kardashians.
 
Peaches. Just got home from LA this evening-no Kardashians or Larry David, but we did have a lovely time. I feel like I ate my way thru LA. The Santa Monica pier made NYC streets look good! Pieces of metal and nails sticking up from corroded boards. But, in general sidewalks are smooth and mostly empty, except in tourist destinations. On Saturday we went to the former Graumann's Chinese Theater to see the newly released 3d Wizard of Oz in the place it premiered. Very cool, but the crowds in Hollywood were as bad as Times Square , plus traffic.
The airport security was interesting. At JFK I went thru the scanner with no problem. My line at LAX had no scanner so I warned them when I went thru the metal detector. The alarm rang, and I had to wait for a female TSA staffer and have a pat-down she was professional, but it was uncomfortable to be touched all over. I think I'd rather risk the scanner if I have a choice.
Sorry to read that hip #2 is misbehaving so badly. Mine acts up occasionally but not as consistently as yours and Kim22 .
 
Lenora, if you tell the first TSA person....the one who checks your boarding pass and ID...that you have metal in your hips, he/she will direct you to a line that does have the scanner. I opted for the pat-down a few times, but mostly I take the fastest way through. Crazy world we are livng in!

Sharon
 
Thanks, sharonslp. I'll try that when I plan another trip. It is a very odd situation, being patted down.
 
So glad you had a great time, LeeApril26 ... though a pat-down from someone you don't have the hots for doesn't sound too good. I guess there should be a Nurse Ratched name for those pat-downers at the airport.
What kind of food??? I always imagine really good seafood when I think of California. Haven't been to Santa Monica. Who would have thunk it that it is more On the Waterfront than NYC (aka Disneyland East) ...
"If only I'd had that THR years ago, I coulda been a contender ... I coulda been somebody!"

I would have loved seeing a movie at Graumann's! (I always want to go to the movies at the Ziegfeld, but they rarely seem to show anything I want to see.) Is the Walk of Fame--the place with the stars' foot/handprints--outside of Graumann's? I was there years ago (Hollywood Blvd.?) and have completely forgotten all the details, except the sidewalks were not filled at all with tourists and I loved that. I took the bus from LAX to somewhere in Hollywood, then their "subway" (LOL), then a commuter train way out to the desert. It was a long schlep. Like taking the bus from a NYC airport to Manhattan, then a subway to Grand Central, then a MetroNorth train way out to the burbs. This was in my prehistoric pre-hip-pain life. I can't imagine doing it now, all that lugging and tugging of a bag and carry-on up and down stairs, etc., onto and off of various trains, planes, automobiles so to speak.

But you did great! And the mystique about flying and pat-downs is behind you. Hope you are doing well and had a good week. Can't believe how lucky we are to have had this streak of nice weather.
 
Peaches Your trip to the outer reaches of LA sounds strenuous. We were also there many years ago, and Hollywood was very different then-we saw Scientology recruits sleeping on the sidewalk as some kind of penance, and there were many fewer tourists. Now Jimmy Kimmel's theater is across the street from the Chinese theater, and he has concerts on the sidewalk that draw visitors and clog traffic for blocks. There was no concert when we were there but the place was packed. Much less "sketchy" than it was last time we were there. The Walk of Fame was interesting. Hand and foot prints in cement, and signatures of so many people we've seen in films and concerts.

As for food, we seem to have eaten everything: Mexican, Japanese, Italian (lots), seafood and burgers. Oh well.

You're right about the weather-it has been gorgeous. I hope we don't pay for it in blizzards! Can't remember the last time I was in the Ziegfield - maybe the first Star Wars movie circa 1978?
 
Josephine Tomorrow will be six months, and in general I am doing well. However, today I woke up with what I think are the early symptoms of an UTI. This is the second time since surgery-very unusual for me. The last time, just a few weeks out, I contact the surgeon's PA, who sent me for a urine analysis, and after a two-day wait, no antibiotics were needed. I started drinking lots of water this morning, and took some cranberry supplements. Also, yesterday I was taking antihistamines for an allergy for the first time since surgery, so may be somewhat dehydrated.
Do I have to see a doctor? I have read the articles in the library, and am still somewhat confused. Any suggestions? Thanks so much, Josephine.
 
Josephine Yes, I was a bit worried about infection. I have a VERY conservative surgeon, and he scared me a bit.
Many, many thanks.
 
I know ... it's to do with the consent form. There is legal requirement that it be 'informed consent' which means the patient has to be appraised of all possible complications from stitch infections to death! Otherwise patients or their surviving relatives can sue for not being made aware. But it's still scary to be told all this stuff before the op and still have to sign the form just after being told.
 
Hi, LeeApril26 ... very sorry to hear about your UTI concerns.
Have you contacted your OS/his "team" or are you afraid he will be too alarmist to be of any help?
For whatever it's worth, my OS is as liberal sounding as yours is conservative, but that is not
particularly reassuring, either. I always feel I have to play "twenty questions" with him. Which makes
BoneSmart even more helpful as our adjunct, silent members of our OS's "teams."
 
Yes Peaches, that's exactly my concern. Would rather not have to take more antibiotics. I am still having minor symptoms, but not fever or real pain. If it continues I will call my primary care doc and go in for a test.
I can't say how much I value the information I've gotten from BS.
 
Six month and two day report
My new hip is doing quite well. For most of the last month or more I have been living like a normal person, making several appointments or plans in a day, and the occasional evening, doing subways, walks and buses like a normal NYC resident. It is wonderful to once again do subway stairs with alternating legs, rather than toddler-style. I have not yet achieved my goal of walking over the Brooklyn Bridge, but try to walk frequently, and can once again carry packages and books home from the library.

Last week I was overambitious and had lower back pain, muscle pain in the front of both thighs, and knee pain in both knees. I have been doing knee exercises to stave off surgery for many years, and continue to do them, as well as the hip exercises, but when I get busy I slack off, and the pain reappears. I try to get to the pool twice a week, yoga once a week, and do exercises at home the other days. When I don't, I hurt, but not because of the replacement, just overall arthritis and joint issues.

The new hip is becoming the forgotten hip. I can bend over easily, garden, tie shoes, and everything else I could do before I needed the surgery plus some. I know the "good" hip will need replacing eventually, but not right now.

The real test will come at the end of November when I cook and prepare for 20 Thanksgiving guests. Last year it was really hard-could hardly get the turkey in and out of the oven.

For those of you reading threads before a THR surgery, please know it is worth it. You will not turn into Wonder Woman or Superman, but the end of bone on bone pain is really quite miraculous. And, the support on BS is a huge help.
 
LeeApril, with all the busy, normal, active things you are doing, I am quite certain that cooking a thanksgiving dinner will be no challenge at all. Great to hear all this. :)

Sharon
 
Thanks, @sharonsip I hope you're right. It involves a lot of standing and lifting. Looking forward to it, though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom