Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeeApril26 That certainly sounds very scientific to me! (You're so clever, looking that up) It sounds like we're losing the benefits of the supplements when taken together, as the CRP becomes elevated, which isn't good....:what:
Better hear what Poppet explains about this, but elevated CRP is indicative of inflammation, and those things in the blood that mean CRP are damaging to us, right?
By gosh, by golly - time to shut up! :tada: I just want to know if we shouldn't take Omega3s if we take NSAIDS.... Because I take them both, and don't want to do any damage.
 
ByGosh. Thanks. My science and math education ended in 1965. In college I studied rocks and logic instead. Yes, I have been taking both, plus turmeric and Sam-E, and NSAIDS because I have been told Tylenol kills the liver. Did not know about kidney risk until Poppet explained. Knew about heart and stomach but have never had those problems. It is a dilemma. Can't replace thumbs, knees and now,shoulder. Probably can but would much prefer not to!
 
ByGosh, A rebound effect, or rebound phenomenon, is the emergence or re-emergence of symptoms that were either absent or controlled while taking a medication such as the NSAIDs, but appear when that same medication is discontinued, or reduced in dosage or a treatment that may assist in reducing the symptoms, such as the Fatty Acids is taken. It is about tapering off one to add one, if that is one's intention.

It may only be a temporary phenomenon, however, as I always indicate the taking of supplements with any other prescription medication needs to be discussed with your treating physician as it is very individual.

All medications have side effects and contraindications whether prescription, herbal treatments or self medicating supplements. I am not a fan of reading information on the www or obtaining the information from a friend and then self medicating. Everyone's health situation is different. It does worry me when I see so many rows of supplements on our supermarket shelves.

As a practitioner I purchase 'practitioner only' and know that they are standardized, approved and compliance monitored to contain exactly what the label indicates. I also know that the manufacturing facilities of my products go through extremely rigorous auditing processes. We are lucky in Australia to have such oversight.


Disclaimer: This post is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of medical conditions. All reasonable care has been taken in compiling the information. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
LeeApril26
By gosh, by golly - time to shut up! :tada: I just want to know if we shouldn't take Omega3s if we take NSAIDS.... Because I take them both, and don't want to do any damage.

Check with your Doctor.. :)

I never prescribe or suggest the taking of supplements on BoneSmart, it would be illegal for me to do so!

I am more interested in providing nutritional information. I am writing other articles on which food sources provide Fatty Acids.. as always in the pipeline :)

I also prefer not to discuss members prescription medications.

ByGosh, LeeApril26.
 
LeeApril26 that was a great 12 week check up, I bet you are so happy with it?? So good to get the silly sandal situation sorted as well, I'm sure your PA was being much more realistic about the situation! You have no real restrictions any more, well not ones you can't live without like surfing!! :) No more PT either, which is wonderful, you lead an active life anyway, with swimming and walking so you are doing more than enough. All sounds like you are doing just fine!! :)
 
LeeApril26 Great report and you can wear sandals :yay: You now have the perfect excuse to go shopping :heehee:
The swimming sounds good. You are able to do so much. I am glad you got sensible advice on your last visit. Your surgeon being over cautious gave you so much to worry about. You can put that behind you now (dont twist too much)
 
Elosarabrab. Littlejem octopus. Thanks! I am ecstatic about ending PT. my last two on my prescription are this week and then no more! I will be wearing sandals when I come home and promise not to do the twist. It's too hot anyway,
Now if I could get rid of the OA in the other hip, thumbs, knees and right shoulder . . .
 
Poppet. Apologies. Did not mean to put you on the spot. My primary care physician is lovely but seems to have no concern about my being on NSAIDS and looks like a deer in the headlights when I discuss supplements. How does one fine a skilled advisor on these issues?
 
LeeApril26, no need to apologize honey :)

I appreciate it is difficult in the US, I have had this discussion before. My understanding is that you may not have qualified and registered Naturopaths. Here in OZ we have to be registered. We have Provider Numbers like Dr's and are able to write natural medicine prescriptions and even sick leave certificates. Our patients can claim for a visit with us through their health benefit etc. It is very different. Our medical Dr's are starting to become familiar with natural medicine and often will suggest a particular herbal treatment. But they may not know about the pharmacology, side effects or contraindications. When I studied, I had to know all of this for well over a thousand herbs.

The best I can offer is 'Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food'. I will be writing more articles, but I appreciate that doesn't help you now. But I will help as much as I am permitted without breaking the law and losing my registration without recommending or suggesting supplements as that would be perceived as consulting and we have strict rules around practicing.
 
Poppet Thanks for your reply and the information. I understand perfectly that you're a licensed health care professional and you have rules and regulations you need to follow. I'm a nurse, and it's the same for us.
So thanks for giving us the resources to educate ourselves, and the advice we need to consult with our doctors so that we can make informed decisions about these matters.
You're always very helpful! :)
 
LeeApril26 Today I met a lovely lady ages 84 very fit and sprightly. she was telling me she had a THR 30 years ago - she had to fight to get one in them days as she was in her 50s and was told she was too young . She also had both her knees done 20 years ago. All surgeries went well and she has had no problems with her implants since. Anyway, we started talking about restrictions and how strict they were 30years ago -, so I asked her if she was ever told not to wear sandals AND SHE WAS :yikes: she was told not to wear open shoes or sandals for one year !!!!!
 
Thank you Poppet. I have not come across a licensed and registered Naturopaths here, but it is possible they exist. Will search. Since my husband's heart attack I have done a lot of reading on the subject. His diet was the stereotypical American corporate male diet-steak, bread and butter on all business trips. NOT in our home. So teaching him to be heart healthy was the first challenge. But, I know very little about pain, OA etc. another project, I guess. Will look forward to your articles.
 
TeeEm That's an interesting story! Imagine that, LeeApril26 Your young surgeon is really an old-timer! I wonder if his Dad was an OS, too, and that's where he got that idea from? It goes to show that things were very different 30 years ago. I wonder what else they told her - like about antibiotics for the dentist? It would be fun to know - I bet they didn't let her out of bed for a week, too. I seem to remember that kind of thing. She was probably in the hospital for at least two weeks. I wonder if she could bear weight on it, or had to use crutches, etc? Times have sure changed. Major surgery now, and we're home in a day or two. Amazing.
 
LeeApril26 ByGosh Yep, in hospital for nearly two weeks. She was told to sleep on her back for ever and never ever to cross her legs and she has trained herself to do that. 90% rule she thinks was for 6 months, but was allowed to break it briefly after 3 to tie laces, but that was all. I think its marvellous that her hip has lasted 30 years. I didn't ask her about antibiotics, but I presume she would have had to take them.
 
Hi LeeApril26,
Such a great report. I'm so happy for you.
I phoned the PA at my Os last week. I'm nearly 4 months now and was so sick of the pillow between my legs rule. She has now lifted all restrictions. Says the OS is super cautious as most of his patients don't seem to follow through with all the Physio etc and there is the chance the capsule around the joint will not strengthen but following the report they had from my Physio I get a gold star and am now restriction free....except now squatting down on my haunches.....as if I could!!
I'm feeling great! No cane, fit and ready to jet away in four weeks or so! It's a great feeling.
Mind you I am still very focussed on my exercise regime. The sessions with the Exercise Physiologist and my focus on doing three hydro sessions a week, plus my other classes have paid off! The glutes are working.
I had bought a fold up grabber, a collapsible cane and a very neat sock aid but I don't need them.
So, a bit of hard work and a positive attitude has worked for me ....and you too by the sound of it.
Enjoy the swimming and strut around in those sandals!! :cheers:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom