Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeeApril26 I suppose you can understand the PT wanting you to learn to do the stairs correctly, rather than have to relearn it later, I hope that it's not been too discouraging for you? I think you are wonderful to be trying the subway and the escalators, it's a really big deal that you have managed to do it!! :)
 
Maeve. I was glad she had the opportunity to watch me, though not so thrilled that the elevator went out and I had to toddler step down four flights of stairs. I find the physiology of all this very interesting. I am a die hard NYer, so I am anxious to get back into the insanity. Subways and crowds are a challenge, but I guess there are challenges everywhere.

nmscienceteacher. You're right-reading about those who are ahead have me has been and still is so helpful. Not that our recoveries are all the same, but there is so much to learn here. And lots of new vocabulary words,

TeeEm. Your booklet is great. Helps me make sure I am doing exercises correctly.
 
Littlejem. I don't mind at all. The OS corrected what was a lifetime of uneven leg length. I have always walked incorrectly, and have had strain and wear on my knees and hips. If I can a avoid developing new odd ways of moving that sounds fine. Of course, I am eager to be able to go down stairs normally, but just have to develop the muscles that control it a bit more. Patience is not one of my strengths!

I think going down escalators is more of a mental thing. I just can't bring myself to step on and go down. Have managed up though, so thinking of myself as a work in progress. :)

How are you feeling?
 
Littlejem. Glad it's coming together. Do you find your right side is strong enough to handle the strain? I am wrecking my non-op side from the cane and stress to the arm, hand, hip and knee. But I am a large person, so more stress. Hope healing is smooth and uneventful for your second time.
 
LeeApril26 I think my right hip is really proving it's worth and standing up to all the extra work I've loaded onto it. I seemed to have strained the top of my right arm though, I guess it's from pushing up on it when getting up from a chair or bed, I'm rubbing some of Poppets recipe into it though so hopefully it'll ease soon. I can still feel my first hip so it's really no wonder that you can still struggle sometimes as you are still only 8 weeks post op, you'll get there I'm sure.
 
LeeApril26 You mentioned sandals. What do you think the reason for that would be? I have been wearing sandals since surgery. Such a big variation in recommendations by different surgeons. I'm sure they all have their reasons but wonder why there isn't more consistency. No PT for me, but most others have received it. I will be sure to develop a list of these questions for my visit on the 9th.
 
Upstater. My OS is concerned about infections from blisters or debris from the street. No one else has this restriction. My PT has not heard of it in fourteen years of work, and none f her colleagues have either. Josephine said everyone should be concerned about infection from bare feet and sandals, and to be careful if you have a cut or blister.
If you ask your surgeon, please let me know what you discover. Thanks.
 
LeeApril26 Okay I suppose that sandal explanation is somewhat logical. But I'm thinking there's a lot of ways to be injured besides having our feet exposed. I will be sure to ask my OS Tuesday. With no PT and wearing this annoying brace he will...just my luck tell me that's a good idea and I shouldn't wear them either!
 
Leeapril26 Oh ha ha I'm going to ask! I've been a perfect rule follower but that's crossing the line! Then what? No gummy bears?
 
Most likely the discussion around sandals is because they don't provide good support..

This wasn't a lifetime suggestion by your OS though was it?

I wear Crocs and go barefooted inside all the time..
 
Littlejem
Hi -- I was reading an older post of yours talking about the surgeon correcting a lifetime of uneven leg length. I have had uneven leg length, too, and I think it is at least the partial cause of some of my hip and knee stuff, even though I've always used leg levelers in my shoes. I'm going to talk to my surgeon about this (not scheduled yet, but soon) and see if he can even mmy legs up while he is at it.

Thanks for the tip!
 
Poppet. Oh, yes. No bare feet or sandals, ever, because of the danger of infection that could spread to hip implant. But, strangely, according to his PA, pedicures are fine. I have been fairly compliant so far outdoors, but wear crocs flip flops indoors. I HATE enclosed shoes, wait all year to wear sandals. My PT wants to call him and ask for documentation. She has never heard such a restriction.
 
Wow that is being overly cautious LeeApril26, definitely check that out..

What about going down to the beach and walking on the sand and tiny shells... Is he worried about that?

Mmmmm!!!
 
I was reading an older post of yours talking about the surgeon correcting a lifetime of uneven leg length.
No my leg length difference only occurred after my first surgery, when my OS put my hip back where it should be knowing I would be coming back very soon to have the second one done. I only had LLD for 3 months, as he corrected it with the second surgery. I think it was LeeApril26 had the longer LLD.
 
LeeApril26 Poppet Just for fun I researched the sandal issue. Logically it is explained as no flip flops but other styles are okay if there's a support strap around the ankle. We hear this all the time about flip flops. This would involve me having someone buckle my sandals AND ankle straps make legs look fatter! What about our self esteem? Lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom