Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,
How helpful you all are.
I've been pondering why I need the 'security blanket of my cane and all the posts here over the last few days have put it all into some sort of perspective. Thank you all LeeApril26, Elosarabrab, zauberflöte, TeeEm,Songlady, glynis, Poppet.
Proprioception it must be!
I have just bought a collapsible cane. Just to carry mostly...as I tend to do with the regular one but will now practice all the suggestions posted by you wise and helpful hippies! :martini: ...Sober of course! Lol.
 
LeeApril26 Wow. Well done for doing escalators. I think that is a really 'big thing' . Im not sure if Im ready for that. I hate them at the best of times. It will be interesting to see if your aches and pains ease off without the PT.

Maeve I take my cane out with me everywhere as well as a security blanket. Its a bit like having to have your mobile with you all the time - just in case you need it. And I think it makes others more aware of you. I worry about being knocked into . I suppose eventually, we will all have the confidence to do without them.
 
Thanks, Elosarabrab. The haircut felt great. It was hot and frizzy in our humid weather. Hadn't had a cut since Feb. the movie was Man of Steel, which was dark and very violent, ending in a almost half hour battle scene that nearly destroys a large part of downtown Metropolis. I should have read the reviews. Very dark interpretation of the Superman story. Guess they wanted something like The Dark Knight. I was looking for light and silly. Oh well,

As for cooking, I try for healthy-lots of veggies included, healthy fats, but we sure do love pasta!
 
Hi Maeve, no, I gave my walking stick up around 7 weeks..

It was when I went back to work. I took my walker and my stick with me, but suddenly one day I trotted off to the bathroom without either. I was a bit shocked at first, thinking how am I going to get back to my desk.. But I did and from then on I realized, I wasn't limping or needing it and for me it was all a matter of confidence. I used to carry my pillow around like Charlie Brown though until at least 14 weeks.. Took it to meetings.. My colleagues got so used to seeing it so much so that if I did forget it one of the young guys would race back to my office and get it without me saying anything.. The young ones are very kind at work :)

When I say I am still wary in crowds, what I mean are the lunch time crowds in the city.. someone bumping me.. So I remain protective of my right side.. Not a big deal really, just something I seem to have got into the habit of. :)
 
Poppet. Yesterday I was doing tasks in the garden and realized that I'd left the cane indoors. No problem weeding, watering, hopping over slightly crooked slate slabs. But, when I go out on the street, I fear getting tired, or being knocked over. Meanwhile, when I'm home I keep my hand in a brace because of the pain from using the cane. I have to find the confidence you found.

Have nice image of you hugging pillow at work. How is you cold doing?
 
Hi Lenora, sounds like you are well on the recovery journey.. Wonderful! Yes, the confidence will come it is all about time. I even find that the way I was taught by the PT in hospital for the steps, I seem to have that ingrained in my mind, second nature now I guess.

Thank you for asking, I treated that virus very quickly.. Next morning, swollen glands were down and sore throat gone. :)
 
Thanks@Poppet.
Good to get reassurance ! As you say confidence builds up. It's all,in my head as I don't use it anywhere locally... Just seem to think I might need it when I plan a bigger excursion by myself! :)
 
LeeApril26, great report! I am about to go give my weekly update, too. One of my bullet points could be cut and pasted from one of yours! Guess which one?? I think mentally, by now, we are so ready to just get on with our old lives, it's hard to slow down and pace oneself. Of course, for most of us, "our old lives" goes back really far--not just the couple of months prior to surgery, but ... years, really, before we adapted to the increasing pain and lack of mobility, deciding if we must go through with the surgery. It influences me, I know, and makes me sometimes think I have "low standards." The fact that I can walk much farther at all outside, even with a cane, makes me think I'm doing well. But I'm still walking with a cane outside because I feel I need it for the ups and downs of the sidewalk, getting tired later as the walk progresses, etc. But compared to how I was walking 7 years ago, no it is not progress.
Anway, you must feel so great to have climbed Mount Subway! I know this has been a big goal for you--and for me, too--and now you can go in more frequently for your swimming, is that right? How did you find the steps to be?
 
Peaches. good to hear from you. Look forward to your post. Going downstairs was more difficult than up, but doable. I was also concerned about the platform, changing trains, etc. but all was fine. Did too much in Manhattan (haircut, Marshall's: Easy Spirit slides in beige!) so took a cab home-expensive. Not sure I would have the energy to go in, exercise, and then take the subway back, so I am delaying a bit more on the pool in Manhattan. My membership is frozen until August 1st, so hopefully by then.
The PT told me to keep using toddler style to go downstairs, after she watched me try it normally. Hips are supposed to stay straight, with hip muscles and glutes moving legs. I was thrusting my operated hip forward to go down. big no, no! She didn't want me to have any "weird adaptations" to unlearn.
You're right about our feelings about progress being influenced by the pre op status. When we opened our cabin in the country last week my son called and couldn't figure out why I was so happy I had been vacuuming. I was thrilled because I could. Not a good baseline, I guess. Maybe we should post mobility goals?
 
Maeve hey there! You're hosting the coffee klatsch today, eh? :)
The young ones are very kind at work :)
I think the 20-somethings nowadays are very kind people, and it floors me-- I don't think I was anything like that when I was my kids' age!
with hip muscles and flutes moving legs
Love the typo-- of course we have a marching band going here LOL Thanks for the PT hint-- I'm not doing stairs "right" yet, except once by accident on the shallow deck steps, but I will watch out for this!
I'm still walking with a cane outside because I feel I need it for the ups and downs of the sidewalk,
I would too! All that unevenness is very much more tiring than just a flat surface like the road outside my front door. It's like walking on a wobble board-- you are working twice as hard!
 
LeeApril26 ... tell your son I was happy when I first was able to change the sheets on the bed. I am very much in the "I Hate Housework!" mold, but even I would feel giddy about doing some housework I haven't been able to do earlier. I think PTs are so used to looking at things as having to be perfect, they aren't always realistic. If they could analyze everyone's movement doing every activity, they would have a complaint or criticism. It's kind of like an editor who knows every single grammar and punctuation rule and tries to apply it to all kinds of communication, forcing people in ordinary conversation to say "That's me on TV !" instead of "That's I on TV!" But you know me (I): I am very grouchy on the whole PT subject. Please don't mind me. I just hate for you to not feel good about tackling the stairs. You have done great! And you now have your maiden voyage on the USS Subway under your belt! That's a huge deal. You are right in that it's not just the subway stairs; it's all the other "mishegoss" that goes along with it. Not to mention how STINKY AND HORRIBLE it has to be right now. Pizza-oven hot. Man, yesterday was nightmarishly humid, wasn't it?

Congratualations on your haircut, too! Must have felt great in this heat.

Would love to see a pic of your easy slides! The ones I have, which are Easy Spirit, are actually a bit too tight. I couldn't have worn a bigger size, though. They seem to not have much "give"--that's the problem. I really need to find some type of substantial shoe to wear on long walks that isn't as open as a sandal but not as closed as my sneakers. And, yes, I am wearing BLACK SOCKS with my sneakers. Which means I can't wear anything but pants. No skirts or dresses.

I am very far behind on reading what my Bonesmart Mates have been up to. I feel terrible about that. Life (not as in My Fabulous, Fun-Filled Life, but as in, my Horrible Work Life) intrudes constantly.
 
Peaches. Can't type too much now as newly tattooed (OY!) son and bride(no tats that I can see ) arrived on red eye and went to sleep on arrival. I hear awakening noises. Love your report! You are doing a lot. I would not have done the subway at rush hour without a first run either. Off hours it wasn't bad. I went down the pit at 10:45.

Did not feel criticized by PT. she was just worried about me straining more things if I walked down oddly. She is fine with my two-week PT vacation and encourages pool walking. For years I have "walked like a weeble " (son again) so I would like to get it right and maybe not hurt so much.

Will look for a photo of ES slides, but since they were at Marshall's they are not current. Beige fabric. I still have not purchased new sneakers and my old ones hurt my toes. Have been doing PT in the Keen's athletic sandals, with socks, of course.

Okay, TattooBoy is up!
 
LeeApril26 you sound as if you are doing really well and your progress report gives me hope that I will be able to handle school starting August 6 th. it really helps to read the posts of the folks a month or so ahead of me to see how much more progress I can hope for before the start of work.
TeeEm thanks so much for posting the 6 week booklet...I am going it without out patient PT until after I return to work and accommodate to the physical demands of teaching and this is just what I needed to find, and had actually hunted for on the web unsuccessfully...THANKS!
 
Hi LeeApril26. Re your post...
" The PT told me to keep using toddler style to go downstairs, after she watched me try it normally. Hips are supposed to stay straight, with hip muscles and glutes moving legs. I was thrusting my operated hip forward to go down. big no, no! She didn't want me to have any "weird adaptations" to unlearn."
That is so true and worth remembering when I just do it anyhow!! Trying to prove to myself that I can, when in fact it's better not to do it at all rather than incorrectly.
I had such a great mental picture of your day out in Manhatten. We just LOVE NYC,... Such a dynamic city...bet it's a challenge for a recovering hippie!
 
wow you're good Maeve ! Google translate tells me that gossip is the English translation of the German Klatsch! I never knew the literal translation, thanks for getting me to look it up. :)
 
Ha! ha! Just a lucky guess but I love the word so will try to find opportunities to use it. With a group of close women friends who coffee at least once a week and meet for ,movies, gym etc, I think I will have plenty of opportunity.
Apropos of nothing really I love the word doppelgänger....rolls off the tongue.
I also realised a few years ago I had been using the expression hoi polloi totally incorrectly...I had the upper class defined !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom