Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
zauberflöte NYC did not have legal segregation, but de facto segregation did and still does exist. Putting a price on a rest room in a public place is exclusionary, whether it was people of color or homeless people being kept out. Haven't seen one in ages, so I'm thinking that with greater diversity and awareness the pay toilet went away. However, I've heard some airlines are planning on instituting a pay toilet policy. It was on the news a few months ago. Don't know if it really happened. They're just greedy.

I have about twelve percosets left, and I know my OS will not prescribe more, so I've saved them, but you were right. It was a great idea to take it preventively. I ached for 24 hours before I took one. Foolish.

We are a collection of "wrecks" in various stages of falling apart. I did not ache so much right after surgery. Of course, I wasn't doing anything then either.
 
LeeApril26, I completely understand, in regard to the cane. At my choir picnic yesterday, I left the cane leaning against a fence for a good part of the evening (we were on a deck, so... even footing, not uneven ground) but by the time we were going home, I REALLY needed that thing to walk straight! (Oh, goodness, zauberflöte, I wrote that and could hear your laughter all the way from my part of the country :rotfl: .....) But it's like..... I don't need the cane until I DO need it.
I believe I'll continue with my trusty uncollapsible cane for the moment.......
 
Songlady I will try to check out the collapsible one this week and let you know. On Sunday we are having a NYC party for my son and his wife, who live in and were married in CA in March. (I barely made it to the wedding. Thank heavens for wheelchair service at airports.) I would like not to be leaning on the cane at the party, but maybe bringing the collapsible one would be wise, given your experience at the choir picnic.
 
I don't need the cane until I DO need it. I believe I'll continue with my trusty uncollapsible cane for the moment.......
I'm still trying to figure out how touching the cane down is a help to me at the end of a street walk. I don't put weight on it, I'm just swinging it along and tapping it down. It helps, or I think it does, but HOW????
 
LeeApril26 I phrased that all wrong, didn't I? I was speaking of what actually happens with me! :) I'm trying to figure out why I can walk with less sensation of fatigue and/or pain when I only touch down the cane-- it must be some very sensitive muscle/balance self-awareness or kinesthetics or some word I can't think of right now. just....odd! :)
 
zauberflöte I think this may be the word:

Proprioception
Pertaining to proprioception, or the awareness of posture, movement, and changes in equilibrium and the knowledge of position, weight, and resistance of objects as they relate to the body.

I was told that if a person spends time on a walker/cane/crutches, they lose proprioception and have to rebuild the ability. I've been given balance exercises in PT.
 
The biggest single tip which helped me to get back to "normal" walking after so many weeks of using crutches and a stick, was to remember to move my shoulders and swing my arms. You just get used to moving along in Straitjacket Mode, and forget how you used to move your arms. I found it made a tremendous difference.

Regarding queues - as we so quaintly call them - what always fascinates me is when you are sitting comfortably in an airport lounge, and there is an announcement that the flight is ready for boarding. In the blink of an eye, people are up on their feet, seemingly thrilled to be in that lovely, snaking queue. Best to be on that plane asap... after all, you're only going to be on it for several hours...

To use a good old Northern UK saying: "There's nowt so queer as folk."
 
have you used the collapsible cane yet, and if so, how do you like it?
LeeApril26
I use a collapsible cane/stick it has an elastic cord through the middle and you just pull to separate the sections to fold it. It is very stable when using it as the pieces slot together when in use. I got one in bright pink with coloured spots on. It is more cheerful than the regular metal ones.
 
zauberflöte, no our T-box is provided by our telecommunication provider. It does not give us access to lots of channels, only the normal free to air. It is part of our ISP bundle with our phones.. Have to be careful though renting the movies can mount up..
 
LeeApril26 I use a collapsable cane as well. Mines black with flowers on. I would love a bright pink one though. Mines a bit 'old grannyish' I think.

zauberflöte The 'walking in a line ' exercise on here is really good for balance.
broken link removed: https://www.nlg.nhs.uk/IfP/single/IFP-0497.pdf
 
Elosarabrab and TeeEm - thanks for the words regarding the collapsible cane. I have to spend some time at a conference next week, and I guess I'll just bring my regular cane; but, wow, a collapsible one sounds as if it may be handy.
glynis - yes!! in regard to walking. My massage therapist had bilaterals done some years back and loves to talk about how she "learned to walk again" using her whole body. She recommends envisioning how a toddler walks for balance pointers. I will have to ask her more; it's been a few years since we had that conversation.
 
Oh, boy, glynis, you are so right about using the whole body. I am so stiff when I walk with the cane that my entire right side hurts. I've been walking like this for five months-I'm sure I carry myself that way without the cane as well. I have been trying to walk with swinging arms in a pool whenever I can get to one. It's even hard in the water.
TeeEm Thanks for the booklet. I am already doing some of those exercises, but will try walking in a line.
And Elosarabrab you and Tee have much more attractive collapsibles than I do-plain gray for me. But my regular cane is swirling shades of dark blue to match my outfit for my son's wedding in March.
 
In other words, zauberflöte, it's really just all in your mind that it helps---like a placebo.
I did wonder about that! :)

Proprioception
AHA! yes, that was certainly one of the words that I couldn't find, probably due to unbalanced mind.... teehee

move my shoulders and swing my arms. You just get used to moving along in Straitjacket Mode, and forget how you used to move your arms. I found it made a tremendous difference.
ah glynis you are going to be my walking coach forever, aren't you? :) :heehee: Last time you told me to strut out was two weeks ago. I'm 5 weeks tomorrow and am still not walking fast-- it hurts in the groin, whether over-stretching the scar area (anterior) or other worse stuff I don't know. I think I'm going to have to unfold the treadmill, as it is now WHAM summer here. Humidity 900%, temps to match, and the dang cats will walk with me up the street in the abominable heat, which I can't prevent unless I chase each of them down, ha. ha. ha. and lock them inside. They outnumber me!! Also I'm hoping the treadmill will prevent a bursitis-like or else IT band-like pain on walking on pavement.

The 'walking in a line ' exercise on here is really good for balance.
TeeEm thank you! I'd bookmarked that page the last time you mentioned it, now I'm going to have hubby print it at the office.

Wow, Thanks Everybody! :)
 
I've been thinking that old fashioned deportment exercise of walking with a book on your head might help banish our bad habit walking and limps ? :umm: I'll have a go later and let you know how I get on.
 
Week 9
I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone else, but I find documenting progress (or lack of) to be useful.
  • This week I rode the subway to Manhattan, one way, to get my haircut and shop. It was a big deal for me, even though I was so tired I took a cab home.
  • I rode two escalators up-still terrified to go down
  • Went to a bad movie
  • Cooked a lot more than I had in the past.
  • Walked and stretched in a pool for 40 minutes, twice
  • Went to PT, twice.
  • Seemed to recover from activity in 60-90 minutes, with massive amounts of ice
On the other hand,
  • My right side (non-op) is still really sore, from the knee to the neck, and the "good hip" is achey most of the time.
  • My knees are not great
  • On PT days I am still really uninterested in doing much else. and my non-op side is even more sore afterwards.
I have another PT appointment on Tuesday, and after that I am taking a two-week break from PT. Our son and his wife are visiting for a week, and then I am going to the country to walk in the pool. I want to see if the soreness eases. Will do PT exercises at home, but not as intensely.
 
LeeApril26 Good for you doing so many things :yay:
Getting your hair cut must have given you a boost.
Riding the subway is a big mile stone. All the stairs and busy with people is a lot to handle.
Riding the escalator I haven't tried that post op. I avoided them for so long pre op they are scary so well done for achieving that.
Going to a movie, I presume you only found out it was bad once you watched it?:what: What was it so we can avoid it?
Walking and stretching in the pool must feel good.
Cooking more than you have been. Of course it is all good for you food and not calorie loaded? :skep:

I hope your aches and pains ease up. Maybe you will see a difference when you don't do so much while you have company. Here's hoping.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom