Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
ByGosh @zauberflöte bottomshollow @sandybeach @alexthecat TeeEm Peaches Elosarabrab Poppet Songlady and anyone else who was involved in the sinus infection/sandals discussion
This morning I got a call from my surgeon's office to confirm my app't with the PA on Monday. I was asked how I was doing, and idiot me responded, "Fine, except for a mild sinus congestion." Well, enter the PA on the phone asking for details. She suggested I get checked by a doctor to be sure I wouldn't infect the implant. I explained that I was in the woods 15 miles from most anywhere. She encouraged me, gently, to see a doctor. So, I called some friends, found a Walk-In Clinic, waiting an hour, and saw a nurse's aide, PA, and finally the doctor. Very nice man. He repeated the Ear, Nose, Throat exam and I said that my surgeon is concerned about infections-the congested sinus- and I explained about the sandals restriction. The doctor smiled and said, "Wow! Your surgeon is very cautious. Let me see. How I can put this? Okay, you have a better chance of winning a Powerball lottery in three states at once than you do getting an infected implant from a splinter or a sinus infection."

Thought you would all like to know, as we have tossed this around on my and other threads.
 
Okay, you have a better chance of winning a Powerball lottery in three states at once than you do getting an infected implant from a splinter or a sinus infection."

[Bonesmart.org] All Done
That doctor is a very wise old owl with a lot of good common sense. And what he says is in agreement with the new way of thinking that hasn't gotten around to every OS and will probably not be accepted my some anyway.

LeeApril26, I have to say that I have never worried about infection---it just never really crosses my mind.
 
LeeApril26 When I asked my OS yesterday about the sandals he shook his head and said "I haven't heard that one." What a wide variety of instructions we get. He did say no dental work for six months.
 
Upstater I know. I wish they would all agree! Very confusing. I was told three months after my six week check up, so four and a half all together? And the dental association says it is not required at all. A person could go crazy.
 
Upstater I am not sure they do realize we talk to one another. I have mentioned BS to the PA, three PTs, one visiting nurse and several friends who have had hip or knee surgery. No one was aware of the site.
I would have thought there would have been a "Best Practices" for THR recovery, but I guess not.
 
This is exactly why I stopped asking my OS things! I couldn't even get consistent answers from him from one visit to the next.

Did any of your surgeons tell you the story about The Lady Who Dislocated Her Hip While Shaving Her Legs? When I had my THR (back in the dark ages of 2010 :rotfl: ) there were a bunch of us, from all over the US, who heard that one. I think it's one of those campfire stories like The Man With The Hook For The Hand. Everyone has heard it but it never happened here... always last summer and two counties away.
 
alexthecat Upstater I have not heard about The Lady Who Dislocated her Hip . . . but I have an appointment on Monday, so we'll see. It reminds me of the story the 8th grade nuns told us about The Girl Who Had A Facial Stroke Because She Tweezed Her Eyebrows.
Seems like feminine "vanity" gets punished in these stories. Maybe I'll be The Woman Who Wore Sandals . . .
 
. Upstater that is the logic that leads to not worrying about anything. If all these people are dislocating from doing really basic stuff, where are they? Why don't we see them in the forum? We see every other problem under the sun. And we do see dislocations, but not an overwhelming amount of them. With all the millions of THRs walking around, it seems like we'd know if it happened a lot, you know?
 
LeeApril26 I like that clinic doctor! It was worth the trip just to hear him say that. :) (speaking for myself)
But if one of us happens to win the Powerball in 3 states, is that lucky or unlucky??? Then will we be scared of infection? No, I'll just be happy!

I just posted on Upstater 's thread about the dentist. It wasn't your OS who said 6 months, Lenora? I misinterpreted what you'd written and thought it was. So you're 4.5 months, Upstater is 6 months, I wasn't told anything, just given a prescription for antibiotics. More confusion.. I just wrote how it would be nice to have standardized post-op recommendations for everyone - Best Practice - you're right, sounds reasonable.
I give up - Like alexthecat why worry? They're all different. My OS and his PA give me different answers to the same questions, so what's the use?
Besides the unlikelihood of winning the Powerball, how are your sinuses? Any meds needed, like antibiotics? Or are you in the clear?

Talk to you later - Gotta run...time to buy my Powerball tickets! :heehee:
 
alexthecat Legs shaved, first mani/pedi today-pink toes, clear nails. Five inch heels? Nah, I'd kill myself. Don't want to overdo it. Could wear gigantic red plastic crocs with thick socks-very chic on the east side of Manhattan, no?
Upstater If we can dislocate reaching for soap we should all start skateboarding, because really, why not?
zauberflöte If you win the Powerball in three states please let me know on your way to your new mansion so I can throw out all my sandals.
I am on antibiotics, because my ears are also clogged-didn't know that-and two years ago I had to have a tube put in my ear when I had a sinus infection. The very nice doctor said I should have antibiotics when he saw the scar on my eardrum. So now I am also taking acidophilus because I have unpleasant side effects from antibiotics. I guess I should stock up on those for all my future dental visits. Can you tell I am feeling frustrated?

And, yes even though I am on the top of a mountain, in the woods, there is a salon with a manicurist on the main road. Yeah!
 
LeeApril26 I asked my OS Tuesday if my dislocation risk was less as time goes on. He said "not really, just don't put your leg in unusual positions." I can easily avoid that. He also said if I felt a twinge doing anything to stop. He said there are warning signs if it's in a bad position.
 
LeeApril26 What mountains? We are spending a week in the Thousand Islands soon. It's a tough choice between there and Adirondacks but fishing's better on the St. Lawrence.
 
LeeApril26 If you took everything you have been told to heart you would be a gibbering wreck :shocked:
I am going with common sense "if it hurts don't do it" school of thought. There would have been no point getting new hips if the restrictions were so strict you couldn't use them.
I agree with TeeEm sandals and plasters for your check up :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom