Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
TeeEm Elosarabrab Oh, thanks. You want me to get more restrictions!!! That man is stern. I think I am going to be the polite little patient. I had so many questions last time and the first thing he saw was the sandals, so after that lecture I had no time to ask much. And, I want to know, Upstater exactly how your OS defines an unusual position? That's a little vague. As Elosarabrab said, we could all be gibbering wrecks if we tried to figure this out.
Poppet They are trying to get me in trouble again!!!
Upstater I am in NE Pennsylvania. We have a cabin here, about twelve miles from the Delaware, which is great for rafting and tubing, but I don't know much about fishing here. I have not been to the Thousand Islands, but the Adirondacks are beautiful.
 
Lenora, that is exactly what happened to me! I had my 3-month check-up a week early because I was taking a trip out of state the following week. Well, my OS did not agree with that and let me know in no uncertain terms. (I went anyway.) So, he wasted my whole appointment trying to bully me out of taking that vacation and I hardly got to ask any of my questions. At my next appointment (one year post-op), I kept him on track and didn't let him go wandering off on any tangents.

Speaking of tangents ... have you considered wearing roller skates to your next appointment?
 
alexthecat If I wore roller skates I think I would need whole body surgery!
A trip out of state at three months does not seem out of the question unless you were planning to downhill ski. Mine okayed my riding in a car for two hours to get to the country to go in a pool at 5 1/2 weeks at my check up (as long as I wasn't wearing sandals:gaah: My three month appointment (11 1/2 weeks really) is with his PA but he is in the office. I won't see him unless the PA identifies a problem, so am hoping to skip his notice. He really is a good surgeon, and I think he did a great job. He just has this thing about infections. Could be he's seen a lot of bad ones. So trying to be fair but will hide from him if I can.
 
My trip involved a 10-hour drive. I think that was what he was so upset about. I really wanted to go somewhere before I had to go back to work. I'd been stuck at home for almost a year, by that point, and I was going stir crazy.

To be fair, I do think my OS did a good job on my hip. It's just his interpersonal skills that are weak. I don't think he understands that there is more to our lives than THR.
 
alexthecat From what I've heard surgeons tend not to have great interpersonal skills, but that could be a stereotype. A ten hour trip is a lot, but I assume you paced yourself, and were sensible. That's what I don't appreciate about the scare tactics-they are not crediting us with common sense-just issuing fiats. Perhaps they have a lot of patients who need to be scared? Anyway, I'm very glad you got to go on your trip. I have just arranged a trip to LA for mid-September, and am hoping I will be able to handle airports by then.
 
LeeApril26 so sorry you had to spend half a vacation day just to find out that I'd won the Powerball in three states! But I'm glad you got the antibiotics you needed after all... I vote not sandals but those sneakers with skates in the heels??:heehee:

I was ok'd to ride almost two hours in the car at 2 weeks, pre-op, by a nurse. Hmmmm. I still cannot envision taking that particular drive... and I think they said 3 months before "long" car trips. I wasn't contemplating any. so I didn't tak it in. alexthecat I hope your vacation back then was fabulous!! :)

I asked my OS Tuesday if my dislocation risk was less as time goes on. He said "not really, just don't put your leg in unusual positions." I can easily avoid that. He also said if I felt a twinge doing anything to stop. He said there are warning signs if it's in a bad position.
Upstater I do want to know-- what are these warning signs? There are twinges and twinges! Let's all get together and write a "best practises after THR" book. Oh wait, was that on ByGosh 's thread? Whatever LOL.
 
zauberflöte grasp your left pinky finger with the fingers of your right hand and bend that pinky backwards all the way. Note that you instinctively have the sense not to fracture or dislocate your finger. That, IMO, is the twinge. You know how far you can push your body and you stop. You've lived in that body for years and you know how it works. Just listen to your intuition and take things slowly. You'll be fine.

And that trip was awesome. Thanks! I've travelled a lot since then, but that trip was really special.
 
ByGosh I somehow missed your post yesterday. Thanks for asking about the sinus thing. Turns out my ears are clogged and since I had to have tubes in one ear a few years ago, the very sensible doctor had me start antibiotics and probiotics to save me from the side effects. I guess it was good I went.
I do think having a Best Practices book is a good idea-you're a nurse, you should start a movement. This whole disparity is really confusing. Yesterday's doc said the whole implant infection from dental work, etc. is outdated-lost credence several years ago. Yet my OS is at a top hospital and is a young guy-I'd guess about 42. It is hard to just blow off his cautions, but really cannot run for antibiotics for every cold.
Anyway, enough ranting. I'm hoping you were no where near the tornado in CT.?
 
LeeApril26 He used the example "don't try to put your foot behind your head." No problem. He said the warning before dislocation is obvious. Like "you'll just know when you're in labor" kind of thing. Speaking of different approaches my OS thinks PT for hips is outdated. Necessary for knees just not necessary for hips.
 
I meant to say this earlier .... Lenora, I expect your trip in September will be great. You'll be almost six months post-op. Many of us are starting to forget or ignore our hips most of the time by then.
 
Thanks, alexthecat My concern is trekking around JFK airport. That is the most unfriendly to the disabled airport I've ever been in-I am ashamed of it as a NYer. Sometimes you walk miles to a gate, up and down ramps. And, I had to use a wheelchair in March to get to my son's wedding, and I hope never to do that again. Thanks for the reassurance.
 
LeeApril26 It seems reasonable that the doc gave you antibiotics if you have a history of sinus infections and your ears were full of fluid. You don't want an ear infection, too. If it starts to clear things up for you, then you know you needed them.
Your cabin in Penn. sounds quaint and remote and peaceful. Although, with all of this going on - sinus infections, antibiotics, MD visits, sandals, confusing OS advice - nothing's really peaceful - not yet anyway.
Perhaps the implant infection from dental work is outdated, but I'll go with better be safe than sorry, especially so soon post-op. As time goes on, I'm sure we'll all get more brave about this, but we're still pretty fresh and not as confident as alexthecat yet. With some experience under our belt, and some healthy times, and moving any which way we can with no problem, we'll see that we're ok and start to feel more comfortable with all of this.
It makes sense what Elosarabrab said that if the restrictions are so strict, why get new hips if we can't use them?

And TeeEm LOL :heehee: I assume plasters are band-aids? for cuts? That would be too funny, if Lenora showed up in sandals with band-aids all over her legs - or how about just a big, big one, on her toe? He'd have a heart attack.
 
LeeApril26 zauberflöte Tornados in Conn??!! :shocked: I didn't even know that! OMG, it must not have been near me, or I would have known. I do know that we had lots of thunder and heavy rain here this AM - gee, I'll have to look it up, that's the first I heard of it. Where have I been?? Not watching the weather, that's for sure. Thanks for the info about my home state! Anything else I should know? LOL
LeeApril26 A trip in Sept. sounds very doable for you. You've been getting around quite well, it seems. Too bad JFK is so handicapped unfriendly, though. I'm sure you'll figure out a way to manage that - you're good at figuring things out! :)
 
ByGosh zauberflöte Was watching the news this a.m. and they showed a video taken by someone in a car-very impressive tornado coming right towards them. I think it was Mansfield??? Not sure. This morning was a long time ago.:)
 
@bottomshallow LeeApril26 Re: Infection. bottomshallow you are right on target. CYA. My OS said Tues. "My infection rate is very low." An important statistic I'm sure. I will be following his advice on the dental.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom