Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maeve. Yes, the lunge is terrible on my knees. I am trying to figure out another way to get the effect. Am going to try in in the pool, maybe with the front leg on a step???
 
LeeApril26
Isn't it always the case-- the back goes out on some tiny thing. Mr ZF lost his once just heading to pick up a cat! I lost mine once on the way UP from trimming a toenail. I have three pages to read to get to your outcome... :) There-- read that it's all better. I'm glad, there's enough to worry about with bug bites and hot tubs and scar massage and cool info and helping fiends [sic](LOL) in need. I have those adhesions too-- most of my scar still has this super tape over it, which will be there till next Christmas, it seems, so I can't massage anything with anything, even tho my infamous PA said I could and even should. Another case of "just because they say you can doesn't mean you should yet" LOL.


ust typed you a long answer and lost it, as iPad did not say I was no longer signed in. ARGH!
There is a fix for this, somebody, maybe Josephine or a mod, posted it someplace. If you are thrown off the forum suddenly, or want to carry info as a reminder to yourself in a reply field for several pages , as soon as you log back in (or turn the page) go to your reply field where you were, and click on the second little icon from the left in the tippy top row-- a green down arrow on a white square. This will auto-restore what you had before. I use it all the time to carry comments from page to page as I read through a thread.
Techie me, har dee har har

PS I loved your shoes. I have a version of those Keens, with no back strap. I LOVE them. Although.... you must tell me if they make your feet and themselves smell! Mine came with a notice saying they ahd some kind of antibacterial finish (which I hate the thought of!) and my normally non-smelly feet/shoes began to stinketh, to put not too fine a point on it. Dang! But they are SO comfortable and even cute.
 
Wow, LeeApril26, you have a new avatar. It's very pretty. Is this from your recent trip? I'm glad your back is better, but so sorry about the sore thumbs. I'm sorry you had the added obstacle course at your first PT place.
Work has been not as hard as I'd feared, but today was a little more painful than earlier this week. It could be I am moving around too much, twisting, reaching up and down. I don't know any way around it, though. You will appreciate today's bus ride home. I got to the bus stop and was told it would take forever to get home and I should just walk to the subway and take that. I said I couldn't do that, so he let me sit on the bus and wait "forever." It turns out the huge traffic jam up Eighth Avenue was due to window washers being stuck outside a highrise (the Hearst Building, at 57th Street). It clogged up rush hour traffic terribly. But, I figured I have more time than stamina, and I am NOT traipsing around and then toddler-walking down subway stairs at Times Square. So I got comfy on the bus seat and listened to music and before long, we took off, only 3 passengers. It was a reminder of how hard it is to get stuck in the city. But I think I would have sat in a coffeeshop before running around and going down the subway steps.
 
Peaches Oh, good grief, you were caught in the window washer rescue. I was listening to in today thinking the traffic must have been ghastly. I think you made the right call. I would imagine the subway was a sardine can. For future reference there is an elevator somewhere at the Times Square station, and an escalator. I was using both when my hip was bad but I could still go to the theater. I will try to recall where it was. It goes to the side near the 2/3.
I'm so sorry you are in pain again. This recovery thing is a balancing act. You have to move to live your life but if you move too much it's painful and you have setbacks. My back went out last weekend after I just bent forward, but that followed a busy few days in the country. Then it felt better and I went to PT and had new exercises that felt fine. Until yesterday, when I leaned forward to pick up a piece of paper on the coffee table. Back out again. So is it the activity the day before? Who knows, but be careful with the bending and twisting.
The flowers in the avatar are from my garden. They were here when we moved in, and I don't know what they are, but I love them. Thought it was a time for a change.
My thumbs are improving, as I am trying to use the laptop rather than the iPad. I think there must be a growing number of iPad thumb disabilities.
Be careful in the heavy rains tomorrow.
 
Hi, LeeApril26, well ... my nutty sleep pattern continues. Asleep from 9:30ish on; now up at almost 2 a.m. Thank god for coffee! I am sorry about your back going out again. Has it done that before (prior to the hip problems)? I have been blessed with not having ever had back problems such as it going out. Just lower back pain due to the hip. I do think there is always a link for me between bending over, as in doing laundry, and lower back pain. What does it actually feel like to have your back go out? I guess that sounds stupid, but I'm curious. I have thought about other pains we all talk about, too, and suddenly wondered if we are all always necessarily talking about the same thing. Groin pain, for example. I think of two areas of pain that I think of that could be classified as groin pain. I know the two pains well, especially from pre-op days. But they are in somewhat different areas. I don't know technically which one is considered groin pain.

i'm sorry too about the iPad problems. I don't have one, and can barely barely type on my very generic smart phone.

I do hope your back gets better. Don't let that PT overdo it with you. I am so wary of PTs. To the point of being paranoid! I worry about all my BoneSmartonian friends getting into the mitts of overzealous PTs and then paying the price.

As for bending and twisting, that is something I have done too much of during the entire post-op period. I didn't even know I wasn't suppose to IRON of all things till I read it here somewhere. I had to start doing that a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't aware that was a twisting motion. Still have to do it.

Yes, I know that elevator at the Times Square station pretty well! Ha ha. Maybe we rode it at the same time. However, I am now nowhere near able to take the subway, even with an elevator at one end. I would have to toddle around with my cane and other stuff on the platform and stand for who knows how long and then would have to take steps toddler style when I disembark. Maybe I am babying myself, but that is way too much activity at this point. Especially today, seeing as how I would have first had to backtrack and walk a good 4 blocks back to the subway after having just walked it at day's end. Standing around. too much for me to do. Actually I came on here tonight because I wanted to see where in the time line I should be able to take subway stairs again. I am just curious. Info about THR always talks about how "the hospital makes sure you can do stairs before it releases you," but that only means a few steps toddler style. I am able to do shallow steps regular style, and one flight of 6-7 regular, deep-ish steps regular style SOMETIMES but am still very much in the infancy stage. I was thinking I could take my sweet time working up to taking full steps regular style, as going down is so hard on the knees. My PT warned me to not rush the stairs for that very reason. But I wondered what the general time frame is.

After icing an lying down tonight I feel less sore. I had such a run of good days--almost a week, really--I am trying not to worry. I think part of it could be lugging a tote bag to and from work. I also have become very lax with the ice, though at this stage, I thought that was okay. Guess not!

What you were saying about it being tiring to host a gathering or be around people, even when it's a fun event ... I so get that. We really do have to pace ourselves if we can in so many ways, don't we.

I sure hope your back doesn't go out again. Please take care of yourself. You're doing so great..... But this long and winding road we are travelling has lots of detours. It really is a bit like Alice falling down the rabbit hole, it seems.
 
Peaches. Sorry about your off beat sleep patterns. I keep reading that we will eventually sleep normally but when?

I don't think you are babying yourself. I can go up stairs normally, but find down to be difficult, too, especially if I am carrying the cane, or a tote. It seems to make it much more difficult, and as you know, I am not doing subways yet either, I long to, but the thought of all those flights of stairs, and the people rushing by-nope, not yet. I guess your neighborhood is served by an express bus, so you can get into Manhattan that way. Ours is not, so it's either the train or walk over the bridge and get a bus on the other side. Not feeling ready for either.

I think I read the same post or article as you did, about ironing. Did not think of it as a precautions. Summer linen shirts need to be ironed! I guess you could try a hand steamer if it is hurting, but if not by now it's probably okay.

I'm trying to think about the back pain. When it first happens it feels like a piece of taffy has been stretched way too far, and is weak and sore. Then it stiffens and I feel like it will crack if I move too much. There is a pulling sensation, and also pressure. I started having really significant back problems when my son was born at 9 1/2 pounds. His feet were twisted in and up, so he had casts on them for a long time. I carried him around in a front pack or a sling until he was almost 18 months old, and he was big! I also had a stroller but that meant getting him in an out of it, with casts up both legs, and all the other stuff, so I mostly just hauled the poor guy around. And since he had an older sister already in school we we out a lot. We were both pretty happy when the casts came off. I don't think he sat still much once they did. So the strain on the back was there, and then I always overdo stuff, like two years ago I helped a friend move a big TV. Not a good idea.

I am going to the PT but listening to the advice on BS. The PT suggests doing the exercises daily, three sets 2-3 times a day. That sounds like too much to me, so I am doing them every other day, one to two sets, depending on how I feel. Right now my back is still aching, so I am just doing stretches and heel slides, and trying to walk a bit more. I've read that after two days of rest it's important to move.

The groin pain I had before the surgery was pulling and aching on the inner thigh. Eventually It got so bad I couldn't lift my leg to get into a car. Had to use my hands to pull it up. Did you have that?

Is it possible for you to ditch the tote bag? Can you eliminate some stuff or leave some necessities at work? Seems like all the walking, etc is enough without adding more weight to carry. I hope today is better.
 
LeeApril26 Peaches Awww Lenora, the back again. I don't think it had one thing to do with anything you might consider overdoing the hip. It was just not ready to be stretched that far yet... [[before I forget yet again, LOVE those flowers, wish I knew what they were. Yellow is one of my flower favorites!]] You are right about thumb injuries-- I think they are calling it "gamer's thumb" like tennis elbow etc. Any male under 30 probably already has OA of the thumbs LOL.
My PT warned me to not rush the stairs for that very reason. But I wondered what the general time frame is.
oh..... I'd guess, whatever your hip wants!:wink:

When my back goes out, it tears, literally. It screams at me in a very sudden moment, and then cries dismally for a long time. I can't move without pain, sometimes for 24 hours. If I get comfy sitting still, watch out!-- getting up is going to be the death of a thousand ouches.

Peaches I'm sorry for the more pain, but it will pass too. I'm also upset that you still aren't getting better sleep, despite your way increased activity for work (will you iron my linen LOL?) For me, it would be better to stay in bed unless it was just too uncomfortable/painful, and wait for sleep. I have had a couple of pretty bad nights recently, I need to get off the percocet so i can go back on the bedtime valium LOL. Tell me you're not drinking coffee at 2:00am? Please not? You'll never remember how to sleep! And no, you are definitely not babying yourself, you are pacing yourself, which is a skill too little used in this day and age. Don't go y what people say should be the timetable (unless it's Josephine of course), and listen to your hip, as you've been doing all along! :) </lecture>:rotfl:
 
zauberflöte. death of a thousand ouches is exactly right! And, gamer's thumb? That's hilarious. Maybe I'm trendy? Ha! I have been reading and responding to Bs on my iPad and using my thumbs all the time. They hurt, along with my back and today my so-called good hip. I am trying really hard not to think about a second surgery.

I also think it's pretty funny that your husband autographed your leg, too. Mine tried to write a message too but I bopped the marker out of his hand with my cane. Felt like an autograph book!

Peaches Are you really drinking coffee at 2 a.m. ? I misunderstood. Thought you were drinking it to stay awake during the day.

I finally made it onto the chaise and off my borrowed chair. It feels fine. Couch is still too low.
 
LeeApril26 no, I said it wrong-- my husband did no autographing. My OS did what yours (or whoever it was) did, with hubby watching and me in a stupor of hunger and dehydration and ok, nervousness!
Way to go in the chaise!! Is this the fainting couch one? Or was that somebody else.
I expect Peaches is really drinking that coffee during the day... I wuz jess funnin her....
 
zauberflöte So I'm the only one with the weird spouse? Yes, it is a Victorian fainting couch that I bought about 35+ years ago at a street sale. Those ladies had strong thighs! It's pretty low. Very excited that with bad back and sore "good" hip I could do it. Hmnn? Maybe not so good for back back and sore hip!
There is a reason everyone calls me gullible. I often miss the joke, like funnin' Peaches about coffee. Oh well.
 
LeeApril26 Peaches zauberflöte
We have a chaise, I guess a fainting couch... it had belonged to a friend of the family's, a sort of adopted "aunt" to me. I wonder - my M-I-L has a short "slipper chair" from a similar era - people were generally a little shorter then, also, right?
Gosh, Peaches, I am sorry about the sleep problems and the pain. I take that "midnite" thing (or the CS equivalent) when I wake at night and it does help me. And the pain - I am sorry for it, and I think we always worry when there's pain (and appropriately so!) but I keep thinking back to that time 6 months after my first surgery, when I suddenly was in horrible pain and had to go buy another cane, because I was away from home! My motto this time will be "expect the unexpected!"
I aw on TV about the window washer thing, when I was visiting Mom at the rehab! Wow. I think you did the best thing, and I admire your coolness in thinking it through!!
 
Songlady. I used to call it a chaise until I was corrected, and I like the notion. You're right-they were shorter. I remember the low ceilings at Monticello. Hadn't thought of it.
What is the "mid nite" remedy you mentioned to Peaches? She was amazingly cleared headed in the Manhattan traffic jam, and convincing since she got the driver to let her wait on the bus!
 
LeeApril26, the couch thing I mean has an arm only at one end, a rather ornate arm, and then a bit of an ornate back, but no arm or anything on the other side....? I had loved this as a child at my "aunt's" house, and was thrilled when she left it to me!
Lenora and Peaches The MidNite is an herbal remedy of melatonin, chamomile, lavender, and lemon balm. Here is a review that actually recommends a different sleep aid! lol but I have had good experiences with the MidNite. Different things work for different ones of us, I guess! broken link removed: https://www.bestsleepaids.org/midnite/
 
Songlady. Mine has a rolled back, no sides and very wide carved feet and bottom trim.
Mid nite sounds a bit like Somnapure. I will check out the link. Thanks. Insomnia stinks.
 
Maeve. Yes, the lunge is terrible on my knees. I am trying to figure out another way to get the effect. Am going to try in in the pool, maybe with the front leg on a step???
Hi LeeApril26,
It certainly is easier in the pool....seems most exercises are. Specially the step ups! Deceptive though as you work very hard without noticing....until later of course! :heehee:
 
Hi, LeeApril26,


As for bending and twisting, that is something I have done too much of during the entire post-op period. I didn't even know I wasn't suppose to IRON of all things till I read it here somewhere. I had to start doing that a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't aware that was a twisting motion. Info about THR always talks about how "the hospital makes sure you can do stairs before it releases you," but that only means a few steps toddler style. I am able to do shallow steps regular style, and one flight of 6-7 regular, deep-ish steps regular style SOMETIMES but am still very much in the infancy stage. I was thinking I could take my sweet time working up to taking full steps regular style, as going down is so hard on the knees. My PT warned me to not rush the stairs for that very reason. But I wondered what the general timeframe is.

I can so relate to your problem with stairs Peaches.
The stairs you are talking about are REAL stairs in bust day to day life. They are not correctly calibrated like the "pretend stairs" we practised on in rehab. There is no way I could do a flight of subway stairs at this point without great difficulty. It's a killer on the knees too.
Stairs are my greatest fear when planning an outing! And you do them everyday!!
You are a great example of stoicism I think. At least I can plan around stairs but you have to face them every day...plus work. I admire you.
By the way I'm 10 weeks today. I'm pretty mobile and no real pains to speak about. Doing lots of physio and exercises to build up the dreaded glutes but the stairs are the killer. Also shoes, socks ughhhh!
 
LeeApril26 Peaches Songlady Kylesh
This place is starting to sound like an episode of that PBS show, Antiques Roadshow!!
Lenora, I'm that kind of gullible too-- I miss jokes b/c I'm left trying to figure out, was that a joke or was it for real LOL

Kylesh yeah, I really should wash the Keens. The thing that has made me think washing will not work is that the stinkies started with the very first wearing, and, between wearings the shoes smell like.... plain old rubber. Very odd...

I have discovered something else that makes the hip/leg ache-- doing LESS than on previous days. What's with that?? Although, I confess I spent two days with no ice or elevation till the evening of the second (see movie recommendation in Cyber Movie thread) and both legs/ankles/feet swelled up. Oops! So today is all feet up, no PT, and minimal walking if I can stand living without the "stretch it out and warm it up" effect of walking outside. Where it is absolutely gorgeous today-- 70 degrees and dry right now.
 
LeeApril26 Peaches Songlady Kylesh
I need to get my Keens out and see what shape they're in. I only bought the midsummer last year and didn't wear them much, so I think they're still good for this year. I did wear them kayaking :egypdance: among those loons in Maine, so I know they got rinsed out a few times!
Yes, Chris somewhere in between "non activity" and "too much activity" is my goal, but finding that place is so hard!:headbang:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom