Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Songlady You're welcome. I was really thankful for all that info. (And, you're right. The whole notion of scar tissue is sort of gross.) I can't even watch Visine commercials without being grossed out by the eyeball, so I tend to be rather squeamish. (Sp?) If you're bleeding I can help you, but don't want to think about it afterwards.

I would assume that if it is okay for me to massage my incision at six weeks, it should be fine for you as long as your OS has said you are healing well. She started with small circular motions, using the lotion, up and down the incision, and gradually increased the pressure. I could feel it, but it was in no way painful-just strong pressure. Hope it helps.
 
Thanks again, LeeApril26! My OS told me not to use any lotions or creams at 2 weeks, but now it's fine. Actually, I think my present scar is a lot less bumpy than my first one was - although I did nothing to that one and it is really not so noticeable any more!
I will gently massage mine. And....in a few weeks I'd love to go visit my massage therapist, a medical massage person (who teaches massage at a hospital) who has a small practice in her home. She had bi-lats done, oh, 7 or so years ago - ByGosh, you should know this, and loves to talk about how she had to relearn how to walk! (Hmmm, ByGosh, at some point when you're farther along, you might want to chat with her....?)
 
LeeApril26 I agree with Songlady that the info you posted was very interesting and helpful. It sounds like she may be onto something with the knee pains.
The scar massage was shown to me years ago by a plastic surgeon's nurse when my daughter had a stitches in her chin. She said it helps to break up the scar tissue. I started doing it with Vit E capsule oil on my incision when it was all healed. The lotion sounds really good, too, it's really the massaging that's important.

To tie your shoes, are you sitting when you put your hands down between you knees? I would imagine that you are.

I guess we need to build up our gluteal muscles again. I know that my rear end is almost non-existant now. Pancake butt. Flabby pancake butt, actually. :) There must be good exercises for that, but I wonder if they'd strain anything? Did she give you any? Maybe I need a buttock implant, like Paris Hilton. Unfortunately, it won't do anything for the muscle tone, but my pants would fit better!
 
ByGosh Yes, two. The first is a little hard to describe so bear with me.
Lay on your non operated side, with the bottom leg bent, pillow between knees. Hips roll forward a little. Top (operated side) leg is straight as possible, toes straight out. Tighten leg, and lift, angled towards the back. Don't go too high. It is more important to engage the glutes than to go high. You should feel the glute tighten. It is not a straight side lift-be sure to go up and back a bit. Hold for a couple of seconds, then slowly down, maintaining control. She did not suggest doing this on the nonoperated leg, probably cause I haven't been cleared to lie on the operated side. Two sets of 10 reps. I tried to find a video of this but could only find the straight up raises.

The second is much easier to describe. Stand in front of a table with your fingers spread and touching the table. Start by lifting up your operated leg behind you a bit, engaging your abs and glutes to hold it for 10 seconds. If this is too hard you can pull up your knee behind you. The idea is to stand on one foot and hold 10 seconds. Do two sets of 10 reps on each leg. If you feel unbalanced stop, hold on and bring your leg down. It is an exercise for the lower glutes-there are apparently three glute muscles-Who knew? And it also helps balance.

I will let you know if she adds more for glutes. She says it takes six weeks of exercising them 2-3 times a day to build the glutes, but you start to show improvement in 2-3 weeks.
 
LeeApril26 thanks for the exercises. They sound easy to do so I will also give them a try. I need to work at getting more flexibility in my new hip but I think with getting more in the older one, I tend to compare them and maybe I need to let them heal more.
 
ByGosh To tie your shoes, are you sitting when you put your hands down between you knees? I would imagine that you are.[/quote]

Yes, and I am fairly flexible, so I can bend that way.
 
Hi, LeeApril26 ... are you feeling better? I might have missed something, but do you now have a different PT at your outpatient facility than the one you had at first? Or does it change each session?

Well, it should come as no surprise that I was given no info for my scar. I forgot to ask, too. I swear, you guys, my surgeon really is good--and I know that sounds desperate and defensive, but I really feel that way. And I'd be the first to say so if I didn't. But I get no info about scars and am scared to rub anything on it much less massage it. I guess it's time for yet another email to the nurse and P.A.? Mine is not particularly bumpy, I don't think. It's not pretty and it's not light in color. It used to have a red bump at each end, but doesn't quite seem to. It's obvious I don't look at it much, isn't it. Aside from the PT's theory that back pain is caused by scar tissue not being broken up, what would happen if you just didn't do anything to the scar, just left it alone? Just curious.

I sure hope you are feeling better today ... enjoying your new sandals!

Oh, and I wanted to ask if you are still observing the low-seat restrictions out of caution? I have gone ahead (out of impatience) and sat on my low sofa, toilet, and anything else. I hope I'm not being too incautious.

I am still very bothered by how the heck to reach down and put on shoes and tie laces with my six-month "no reaching down to the ankle" restriction. Hope it's okay to still use the sock thing and grabber.
 
Peaches. I switched PT locations because the first place was embarking on a huge construction project beginning on the floor of the office. At my third session I had to climb over broken sheet rock. Thought it over in the country and decided I shouldn't have to deal with it. Got a new prescription and switched.

My surgeon and his staff did not say anything about the incision or scar tissue either, but I did have formerly red and now normal colored big bumps at each end, and when she massaged it I could feel other bumps. You may not have that. But, she was concerned that it would worsen and mess up the muscles in my thigh or back. If the scar tissue thickens I think you have less range of motion. She did not say my sore back was definitely influenced by the adhesions, just that it could be. She was quite sure that my difficulty walking down stairs normally was caused by my deflated glute on the operated side.

Between my back (now feeling better) and my sore thumbs, I have not been posting too much, but I read everything and I am so happy that you are feeling better energy-wise, and doing well in your much longer days now that you are back at work.

I am using the regular toilet seat and chairs, but my chaise is very low and the couch is squishy. I don't want to have to lean forward really far and have to push myself up.

I'm sure it's okay to use the sock thing and grabber. Why not? You are moving so much at work -plus in the restroom and elevator- that it isn't as if you are not exercising.

Wishing you a dry and sunny week, unlikely I know!
 
Aside from the PT's theory that back pain is caused by scar tissue not being broken up, what would happen if you just didn't do anything to the scar, just left it alone?​
Peaches Josephine has stated somewhere that our scar tissue will resolve on it own. I think a lot of us rather help it along by massaging it.
 
LeeApril26 great info. Yes, I too have adhesion's. After reading your post, I used some lotion and massaged the area before I went to sleep last night. I have been using Vitamin E for two weeks, which has helped. Have used Arnica, but do not see a difference in that. The ends of the incision really do look nasty. I wonder how long it takes to break all that down? I still have some under layers of scabbing that are coming through.
I have been wearing sandals and flip flops since I got home from the hospital. It was a long winter, and I don't even like to wear socks in the winter. Still waiting for summer to arrive in Michigan. Too much rain, cold, dampness.
Hoping I will be back to my cute shoes when I go back to work. I have to dress up for work, and flats look too dowdy. Shoes are my weakness. I did find some cute low heeled wedges prior to surgery which will be a good transition. No way could I wear anything but a flat shoe now.
I also liked the tip about pointing the knees outward when tying shoes or fastening sandals. I was doing that the other day, and the reach was difficult, but I think I was naturally pushing my knees outward. So many things our body learns on its own. I remember prior to surgery getting in and out of my car, I had learned naturally the proper way, it was the only way because of the pain.
 
Peaches - Like you, my OS didn't say anything about my scar, either. (Actually, he said, "Looks great!") :) My lumpy bits have smoothed out, too, so I'm thinking it'll be OK if I don't get around to dealing with it. I never did anything for my first one, 3 years ago, and it has shrunk quite a bit and really is not all that noticeable. So sometimes it's ok to do nothing!
 
Thanks LeeApril26,
My Physio also confirmed the lean down between the legs to put on/ do up shoes.
As for that dreaded glute!! That is the hardest muscle for me to strengthen. That's also compounded by the fact I can't effectively stretch it either....not enough ROM and/ or stretching breaks the 90 degree and/ or mid point rule!
Very frustrating as this weakness in the glute is my real bugbear....means walking upstairs operated leg first is just too hard! So baby steps required. No matter how much specific exercising I do :headbang: I still struggle to get this muscle going!
Any hints??
 
Maeve. Take a look at my post to ByGosh last night. I posted two exercises. Please be very careful if you do the first one. I am very flexible for my age and size, but if you have ROM issues maybe you should start with the second. It is much less difficult. It would be bad to get hurt.
 
Mamarey. It's interesting that your OS said nothing about being forbidden sandals and bare feet. I wait all winter for sandals. Trying to follow this but it stinks. My incision is two weeks older than yours, and it is now normal in color but was still red two weeks ago. maybe you should wait until the redness calms down?
The PT made a point of my using a neutral, unscented lotion. I am planning to use aquaphor. She didn't give me a time frame, and perhaps as Liveringer. And Songlady have posted, it will resolve on it's own. But, if I can help it on its way, I don't mind massaging daily. I am already putting lotion on my flaky legs, which I finally succeeded in shaving.
 
Mamarey, my OS had made a point, at my 2 week post-op appointment, of telling my NOT to use anything at all on the incision until about 6 weeks when the skin was completely healed. So I vote with LeeApril26, maybe you should lay off the E cream until the redness dies down again....? Keep us posted! I think Poppet was the one who said that actually you don't need any cream or lotion at all to do some massage on it..?
 
Thank you LeeApril26,
Just re read this thread. Will certainly give both exercises my attention.
I'll try each at my Physio session and check I'm doing them correctly. The second one will be good in the pool too when I do my hydro.
Love all the help I get from my hippie fiends here!
Was doing practice at getting up and down off the floor but the lunge was a killer on my knee so have decided to park this aim for a while,
Thanks again! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom