Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peaches I am still sitting in my borrowed "high" chair. I would like to return it to have more space. But I look at my couch, and my couch looks at me. I do have other chairs, which are all uncomfortable, but look prettty. (Who knew they were not comfy until now-never sat in them.)
Speaking of hip spending sprees, I purchased a folding cane from Amazon. I am thinking to the future, for when I
go out cane-less but fear getting tired.
As for toes I bought a long emery board at CVS. I lean forward in between my legs and run it back and forth. Not too effective but a little better.
I didn't know there were a required number of syllables in a limerick. I'm sure I was taught but oh well. Will look it up.
Have a delicious pedicure. I'm smiling at your pretty toes.
 
Lee April - re the insect bite. I really wouldn't worry about it. Pranging your bare foot on a nail or piece of rusty tin in the garden is a different thing altogether and is a hazard regardless of recent joint replacements!
 
Josephine. Thank you so much. I was worried because I'd been in the hot tub, but they do keep it up well. Will try to keep my anxieties in perspective.
 
Peaches ByGosh Songlady zauberflöte Mamarey Poppet Liveringer sandybeach Kim22
Well, I guess I've joined the done too much club. Came home from the country visit yesterday afternoon feeling fine. Did my exercises this morning and then reached over to put on a sneaker-pulled a muscle in my back and have been in pain all day (and I hadn't even tried to plant all the bulbs and plants I bought in the country.) So forgive my lack of comments and responses-I'm on ice! I've been reading all the posts, but haven't felt up to typing much. Guess it's good I have PT tomorrow.
Hope you all have a good rest tonight and that the week begins well.
 
Awww, LeeApril26 ... and don't feel obliged to answer this. I'm so sorry about your back!!! Darn it! I'm so glad your PT is tomorrow! Please stay put with your ice bags and try not to worry about it. I'm sure the PT can help you, But permit me to be gnashing my teeth at the post-op gremlins. Hang in there!!!!
 
Thanks, Peaches. I've done it before. Know it will get better. Just frustrating because things were going well, and now I'm thinking uh-oh.
 
Rest, elevate, ice and take some pain meds LeeApril26 and if you are still sore, it wouldn't hurt to give PT a miss tomorrow or at least tell the Physio to take it easy with you.

This is the old two steps forward one step back.. Don't feel bad, don't let it get you down, we all do it Lenora, it is all about testing our boundaries :) still early in your recovery honey,

hugs from down under
 
LeeApril26 I just saw your post on pulling a back muscle. My goodness, how terrible! What a way to end your nice little get away. I'm so sorry. You're very smart to ice it and rest now. Do you ever take any NSAIDS? They may help with the inflammation and pain, if you can take them. I hope it feels better tomorrow!
I wrote the following before you posted about your pulled back muscle:
'I looked at your shoes and I think that they are very nice! The Timberland's you'll appreciate when you start to walk more - they look sturdy and very protective. Practical, too. And the Keen's are a brilliant idea - they're a sandal with lots of foot protection. Perfect for the summer to keep cool and still not have your toes exposed to hazards. I'll bet your OS would be satisfied with them, and proud of your selections.
I'm glad that you had a nice visit to the country. Also that your bug bite is healing with no problem. Unfortunate that it kept you away from the pool, though. It sounded like you were loving it, and I don't blame you. I'm not too afraid of pools, as far as germs, as long as long they look clean and clear, but hot tubs I'm a little leery about, too. If I weren't a bit fanatical about it, I would love to use one right about now. The relaxation and pain relief factor would be wonderful, I know. I wish we owned our own here!'

I hope you can get some sleep tonight LeeApril26 and Peaches, too. Good luck at work this week, Peaches. And good luck with your back, Lenora, poor girl. Don't suffer in pain- the more you're in pain, the more tense and tighter the muscle will be, and the more you'll be in pain. So it's better to keep yourself comfortable so it'll relax and ease up. Get better soon!
 
Poppet ByGosh. Thank you. I am icing and have taken the BS cocktail - Tylenol and ibuprofen. As I told Peaches, have done this in the past and hope it is temporary, but disappointing. I will be careful with the PT but I hope it will help.

Thanks again.
 
LeeApril26 how are you doing today? I hope it's just a temporary thing. We move in such different ways after having surgery our bodies don't know what we're doing. We're tight and stiff and sore and one wrong move puts us to bed. Take care and don't rush things.
 
Thanks Sandy beach. I am doing a bit better, some pulling in the back, still icing. Hope the PT can help later. I get up, walk around, and then ice. Hope you had a good weekend.
 
Hi LeeApril26, I am sorry about the pull in your back! Your experience makes me feel a little less alone in what I keep doing:
some activity and all is OK,
a little more activity and all is OK,
some minor little normal activity and <YOINK> NOT OK!
I hope you continue to improve! Just like sandybeach said, one wrong move puts us to bed!
I loved what you said earlier about looking at your couch and the couch looking at you! lol I have tried a few dining room chairs and my trusty recliner, which is higher than most recliners.
LeeApril26 - please report on the folding cane when you get it! I think it's a brilliant idea, to able to carry around "just in case!"
 
Songlady. Yes, it is odd that all the walking on Friday at big box stores,was,fine, but picking up a shoe on Monday did me in. Feeling bit better. The folding cane has arrived. It is light and folds easily, and adjustable. So far I am still using a cane outdoors all the time, so haven't taken the adjustable one out for a test run. Ago so bought a new tip for the original cane as my husband noticed it was worn on one side. He picked one up at CVS.

I am still looking at the couch, and my chaise, with great longing.
 
Hello LeeApril26 I'm glad you're doing a little better today. It sounds like what you've done before, and I'm hopeful that it'll resolve soon for you. It's frightening, though. It's like our bodies aren't our bodies anymore, and we never know what will happen. I'm not used to being so tentative and cautious with all of my movements. I feel like I've aged about 20 years physically, and my mind is still trying to catch up with that!
 
LeeApril26, hope your back is doing better today. I get lower back pain which flares several times a year. Terrible spasms, so I hope you are on the mend. I picked up a fold-able cane today at the Pharmacy. It was the same prices as the one's I looked at on line and no shipping charge. Just wish it had a little case to keep it in. Think it will come in handy when I am out and about, and not know when I will need the extra support, or to warn others to keep their distance. Think I am going to pick one up for my Mom too. We were talking about how annoying it is to carry a cane around and it falling all the time...they get in the way.
 
Peaches ByGosh Mamarey zauberflöte Songlady Poppet sandybeach Kim22 TeeEm
My back feels a lot better today. The BS cocktail plus ice and rest did the job.
I went to PT and was reassigned to a very informative young woman, so I have info to share. You may all know this already, but I found it really useful so here goes:

1. If, like me, your glute (butt) muscle on the operated side has weakened because of inability to exercise pre-op or slow recovery post, you can expect pain in the inner knee on the opposite side. (BINGO-that's me.) She had me lie on my stomach and said the difference in muscle development in my glutes was obvious even through my baggy, thick sweat pants. (May have to buy padding for one side! Never would have expected that.)

2. Those lumpy bits I keep mentioning at either end of my incision are adhesions, and there are more under the scar, which I have not rubbed for fear of damaging something. Adhesions and scar tissue can tighten the thigh and cause problems with all the muscles and tendons around them, including pulling the lower back (BINGO again.)
She put damp heat on the incision for 15 minutes, and then using an unscented lotion, she massage the heck out of the scar tissue/adhesions. Said I may have some bruising tomorrow. Need to ice then later use heat, lotion and massage daily. I am wondering if I am not the only one with adhesions/scar tissue, and if it could be causing pain/mobility issues for all of us who are in the did too much club???

4. To tie shoes or strap forbidden sandals, point knees out and bend between knees to reach down if you can. I could do this once she showed me, and it was much easier than other ways I've tried. Will be shaving lets asap.

5. On a totally frivolous note, regarding forbidden sandals, she has never heard of a hip or knee replacement patient being forbidden to wear sandals for ever, but did say three months was usual, because feet and ankles need support. She is going to check the medical literature, to see if there are new studies out on this topic. She polled the other PTs at the office, and none had ever heard of it. This is a PT after my own heart!

Well, sorry for the epistle, but thought it might help someone.
 
LeeApril26 - Thanks, Lenora!! That's a lot of really helpful information! I wonder about my aches and pains being related to what you mention above... I'll need to pay attention from now on!
I had forgotten, but remembered when you mentioned scar tissue - when I'd mentioned the "popping" sensation to my OS, which I'd experienced upon bending around to put lotion on my back, he thought one possible culprit was scar tissue breaking up. (EWWW!:shocked: Somehow that sounds disgusting to me.....)
But, wow, wow! What great info all around! I keep re-reading your post..! THANKS! :goodpost: :thankyou:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom