Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awwww LeeApril26 Used to insomnia? Poor, tired thing you must be. How do you stay so upbeat and pleasant with lack of sleep? Did you ever try a little Benadryl?
I've had bouts of terrible insomnia, too. I'd actually wake up about 12 or 1am, and be up until 5 or 6am. A few times, I just stayed up because it became time to get up for the day. I would get a lot accomplished sometimes. Since I was wide awake, I'd clean the house, do laundry, maybe prepare some food to cook for dinner later that day. I've even gone grocery shopping at 3am! That was odd. I've also walked the dog at 3am, too. That was when the kids were young. It made for a hard day the next day, but then a good night's sleep the next night! I didn't like it at all, though.
I seem to sleep better now than right post-op. It took awhile to be able to sleep stretches of time again, and not just a few hours. Once I became more comfortable with the hips and being able to lay on my side, it was better. I hope it improves for you, too. The only remedy I know of is medication.
 
ByGosh From what I've read it is good to get out of bed and do something when you can't sleep. I usually just lie there thinking about how I can't fall asleep. If I can get to sleep, I will be able to sleep several hours, but last night I was still awake at 3:30 a.m. Maddening. I used to take Benadryl, but that doesn't work either. I have tried relaxation Cds, and reading quietly. It has been much worse since the surgery, but it has been going on for about 12 years now. Have tried lavender, valerian, melatonin, lemon balm, Benadryl, Ambien. Probably better if I got up to do laundry! Thanks for the support.
 
One of the best parts of being retired is not having to worry about getting enough sleep to function at work. Or how to wake up at 6am when I don't fall asleep till 4 am. I like being free to let my inner night owl have its way with me. I have a can't-fall-asleep night at least once a week. I no longer fight it....just get up and read or do a puzzle or check out what's happening here on Bonesmart. Probably good that we don't have a chat room feature. :) Eventually I get tired enough to fall asleep, and once that happens I can usually get a good six hours at least.

We aren't alone. If I surveyed a roomful of women in their 60s I bet at least half have sleep issues. And I'm sure plenty of men do too. Pain interferes; internal climate controls interfere; digestion processes interfere; internal plumbing for sure interferes! I took a late evening walk hoping that would help tonight...but it's 1:00 AM and I'm not the least bit tired yet.

Laundry....hmm

Sharon
 
sharonslp. It worries me because I sometimes don't feel awake enough to drive. Fell asleep at a red light two years ago. Scary. It does sound like getting out of bed for a while might be better than just getting stressed.
 
Oh Lenora, I do understand the concern about driving! I don't ever get sleepy driving in town....takes me 20 minutes to get anywhere I go. But I freak out a bit when I commit to any highway driving. Three of my granddaughters are just one hour away....but if I drive there to see them, I worry about how sleepy I get driving home. So mostly I just wait till my SO is free to go with me and do the driving. I would love to offer my daughter-in-law one day a week of kid-sitting. I hate being so dependent, and I hate feeling like I have a self-imposed limitation on my freedom.

But falling asleep at a red light....wow. That would be terribly scary. Have you ever had a sleep study done? Of course, you'd have to actually fall asleep for them to study what's going on, so maybe that would not be of any use.

Sharon
 
sharonslp. I certainly understand why you would be worried about a return trip of an hour. My return trip was only 20 minutes when I fell asleep. Luckily I was three blocks from home. Have not done a sleep study. I think it was a menopause present, I can't shut off my brain to initially fall asleep. Once I do I do okay. It's frustrating.
 
Just did 28 minutes in the pool for the first time since early February. It felt great but I made myself stop. Now icing.
 
LeeApril26 yay you, swimming!! That sounds sooooo relaxing to me right now. Are you at your friend's right now? I've lost track of everybody's schedules. I seem not to be able to spend enough time on here to get to everybody every day grrrrr.
I was going to mention sleep study too-- and maybe even though you think you are sleeping fine after your brain turns off, you may not be. If you can't fall asleep at the study (and they make you go to bed about 8:00pm, who is going to sleep then??) they drug you. I don't see how that makes for an accurate study-- maybe the drug causes sleep apnea in you! Anyway, I have also fallen asleep at red lights, and also in car pool lines. All my problems come from kids who took a very long time to learn to sleep. So my life-long "light sleeping" habit just was turned into "light sleeper and as soon as I fall asleep a child who WAS asleep notices it and starts crying". I kid you not. The one who had the worse problems slept with his head exactly opposite mine with a wall between, and there was some kind of energy going back and forth, because I'd go in to him, get him settled, come back to bed, take an hour to fall asleep, and he'd wake up JUST then. This went on for years-- no wonder paranoia struck!! Hubby slept through it all-- it was not worth it trying to wake up Mr Sleeps Like The Dead (and now uses a C-PAP) to get him to help. So when somebody says they ony get a few hours sleep at a time, I'm thinking, that's GOOD! I do strongly favor, for myself, staying in bed to wait for sleep. It does always come, even if not till 6:00am. :)
Falling asleep on the road? I discovered last fall that my problem was partially heavy eyelids!!! Now I tape them up (homemade eye-lift), and feel much more awake all day long. but i have to eat to stay awake on any trip longer than 30 minutes....carrots are very good in the prune department, if you catch my drift:rotfl:
 
zauberflöte. Yes, we are in the country, and I just came back from the pool. Also had a chance to shop and bought two pairs of shoes. Feeling broke but pleased. It is funny how kids seem to be able to read you brainwaves and flip the switch that will make mom the most crazy. I had sleep problems when my daughter was born as she had a heart condition and woke very two hours for two years, as she was too weak to eat enough to sleep longer. Fortunately, she healed, and I eventually learned how to sleep again, until I was 51. I never thouht about taping my lids open. I think I might sleep anyway.
 
Peaches ByGosh zauberflöte Songlady TeeEm. Littlejem Liveringer Upstater Mamarey and anyone I've forgotten

Update on shoes: I am now broke but have two new pairs of shoes. Tried a sporting goods store in the country, and purchased a Keens water/land slip on shoe with a sling back, and a pair of Timberline (ugly) shoes that are very comfortable. The store only had one style of Keen sneakers that were too high in the instep but otherwise felt great. Will try to find another style. I was happy to be able to try shoes on, though the Hotter shoes are much prettier so I'm tempted. I drove the sales lady nuts.
 
Ooooh, LeeApril26, new shoes!! Maybe that will be my "reward!" I'm glad you are having a good time in the country! We hope to go to North Carolina to see my in-laws in July (a long car trip... will have to move legs/clench muscles while riding and also stop fairly frequently to stretch and walk a bit) and my sister-in-law takes me shopping to wonderful shoe stores!! SO much fun!!:happydance:
 
Songlady. At about 1 1/2 hours I needed to get out of the car and walk. By July I am hoping we will both be able to ride a bit longer.
 
Wow, LeeApril26 ... lots to comment on: half an hour (I've taken the liberty of rounding up your 28 minutes) in the water! That must have been heavenly (speaking of "heavenly," RIP, Esther Williams. I assume if there is an afterlife you swam up, not down). So what else are you doing in the country? And shoes! I'd love to "see" them; can you give us a link. I hope they feel just great after what you've gone through. Am still laughing at how you described your OS being so upset about your sandals. I would never have known to not wear sandals had I not read your post.

Being able to ride in a car for 1.5 hours is a lot longer than I could. You're doing really great.

I'm sorry about your insomnia, and scared to read about being asleep or almost at the wheel. I have horrible sleep problems, but I don't have to drive ... I never take anything, either. I'm sure in your case this dang THR has made it much worse. I'm sorry you can't get relief from sleeping on your side. I found that to be helpful, though I don't stay on my side. Have barely slept on the op side; too paranoid.
 
Peaches. Just typed you a long answer and lost it, as iPad did not say I was no longer signed in. ARGH!

First, my ugly shoes: https://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4208877
My feet look like boats but feel good.

Second, my attempt to have sandals that protect said ugly feet: broken link removed: https://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/shoes/women/waterfront/owyhee/gargoyle!azure%20blue

Will post this so I don't lose it again, then respond to your post.
 
Peaches. It's been pouring here since Thursday, so not doing too much. Bought lots of plants for our yard in the city, so expect back ache complaints soon. Toured Home Depot with spouse, who loves the place????? He's had a chance to play tennis before the rains, and this morning as it has finally cleared. We leave this afternoon.

I stopped swimming after Thursday when I discovered that I had been in pool/hot tub with a scratched open bug bite on my leg. Didn't notice it until after immersion and 20 minutes in hot tub, which can be a terrific germ pool. Purchased a bacterial ointment and have been sitting here staring at my leg. Guess the sandals lecture freaked me out. It seems to be healing, and was not very deep, but unfortunately I can't get myself back into the pool.

How has your commute been? I have been reading PrincessMay's travails on Seattle buses and thinking of you.
 
LeeApril26: So sorry to hear about the bug bite! I'm glad it didn't happen on the first day, at least. I hope you feel that you got a pretty good taste of the watery life during your well-needed vacation. Will you consider contacting your OS's office about it? If he freaks out at sandals, he will probably be attentive and concerned and thus helpful and reassuring about the bug bite.

The bus rides have seemed normal (including the usual cast of New York Nuts that we all know and do not love), thanks to NOT having to struggle and juggle pillows to sit on! Plus, I always get a seat. So that's great. I enjoyed @PrincessMay's postings; wow, she really had some mountains to climb, so to speak; and she has done great. I would have trembled at those stairs.

Thanks for posting your new shoes! I like the sandals; the sturdier shoes are similar I think to some I've had for colder weather. I hope these resolve your problems. It's so crucial to get comfortable footwear, yet so hard to find them. I have bought more shoes in "my hip years" than all the other years where I was buying them for, you know, fashion! I'm sure your feet are not ugly. You are just focused on the Howard Hughes-ian toenails, that's all. My continue to grow. If I can ever finish a limerick in the Social Room, I will start a new limerick devoted to The Toenails.....

(Sung to the tune of "Maria" in The Sound of Music):

How do we solve the problem of our toe-NAILS!
How do you cut them when you can't bend down???

(This is as far as I can get!)

I have NOT missed those restrictions, have you? But
I have not gone hog wild on violating all the restrictions. I am being cautious and easing into things. But the burden of worrying about so many of them has been lifted, and that helps a lot, doesn't it? When is your next checkup? Can I come, too! "Hi, Doc ... I just happened to be here, accompanying LeeApril26, and thought while I was here I'd ask you a few questions...." :)
 
Peaches The bug bite is looking much better, but if it looks bad on Monday I will email the PA. I did a whole lot more walking, bending and twisting in the country than I expected, and the new hip feels fine. Being in the water was great, and the new hip and the old leg it is attached to seem to be moving pretty well, though as I said, swimming felt wrong, so I stopped. The un-operated hip is poking me. Still hoping that I can build muscle and delay a second surgery.

I am awed that you have tried walking outdoors without a cane. Even a block is a triumph. That's fantastic. You seem to have handled your first week back at work with great timing and skill. How are you doing with your uncomfortable chair collection at home? I am still afraid of my couch. Have you tried something soft?

My next appointment is on 7/15. It is with the PA, not the OS. Would be happy to ask general questions if I can help. Can not help with the limerick. I enjoy them, but somehow can't scan.
 
Josephine Thursday I discovered that I had been in pool/hot tub with a scratched open bug bite on my leg. Didn't notice it until after immersion and 20 minutes in hot tub, which I know can be a terrific germ pool. Purchased a bacterial ointment on Friday morning and have been applying it twice a day. At my appointment last week the OS was really stern about not wearing open shoes because of infection risks, so I am worried. It seems to be healing, and was not very deep. Do you think the antibiotic cream is a sufficient response? Many thanks!
 
LeeApril26: I'm glad you got to give your new hip a country work out and that it's holding up! I'm glad your bug bite looks better, but hope you contact the OS Mon. all the same. As with everything else, I am approaching the caneless walks outside very carefully ... big toe in the water rather than a flying leap. I take the cane with me, of course. Playing it all by ear ... or hip, I should say. YES, I am finally finding it more comfy to sit around at home. Right now I am sitting on the couch for the first time. I am short, so I probably could have sat on it and other chairs all along, maybe. I still yearn for a nice easy chair, but I am still drunk from all my other hip-related spending. What about you and your chairs. And ... how are you filing your toenails? I tried to figure out how I can lean over, whether standing or sitting, and cut them on the op side without violating that six-month rule I have from the OS. I can't see how it's possible. So I am going to try to get a modified pedicure tomorrow: nails cut only; nothing else. I am paranoid about anything being done to my feet right now, even a massage. I should change my name to Paranoid Peaches. As for the limericks, I'm sure I don't know how to scan, either. Ijust thought I'd count the syllables in the line and see what sounded right. Hope I haven't messed it up.

I should go to your movie thread!

Have a good night.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom