Guest viewing is limited

THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Peaches @Songlady @Kylesh zauberflöte ByGosh Mamarey sandybeach and other friends.
Speaking of shoes: Last week when I was obsessing about shoes that I could walk in, I ordered a pair of Keens clogs from a website I found that seems to be a discounter: www.6pm.com. They just came, and they are comfy, cute and $39.99-off season, but I don't care if they are burgundy felt in June, I am mostly wearing them at home. But, they had lots of other stuff for really reasonable prices, so I thought I'd pass it on. Oh, and standard shipping is free. This could lead to a shoe addiction.
 
LeeApril26 oh you should NOT have posted that......I cannot buy shoes, no money, but oh how I want
[Bonesmart.org] All Done
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
 
Today is seven weeks since the surgery. I am really happy not to have bone on bone pain, but working out the recovery is really hard work. My entire right (good) side from neck to knee is sore from overuse and gripping the cane, and figuring out the appropriate level of PT is also difficult. I am walking at home without the cane, but have been advised by the PT to plan on using the cane outdoors for a while (unspecific) just as a protection from careless people.
I asked about using the subway, and was told probably not for another six weeks, which is how long they estimate it will take to rebuild the glute muscles on the operated side.
Today I was evaluated by a more senior PT because of the back pain. He was surprised by the range of motion in my hip, which he said I don't have to work on, as it is "extraordinary." Who knew? I have always been flexible. He did trigger point work on the scar tissue under the incision and thought the back pain might have been worsened by the long car rides I've taken lately, even though I got out and walked midway. He suggested waiting a couple of weeks for another long ride, and gently stretching once I get there.
I am doing most of the cooking-my husband cleans up. Walking less than I like because of the pain on my right side, but at least a 1/2 mile comfortably. This week I was able to use a pool again and twice walked 30-40 minutes in the water along with some exercises. I find I am very tired after it, but my leg seems much stronger, and I am getting a bit quicker, which is good, as I have been very slow.
Well, that's it for the report.
All in all I think I am doing well.
 
Oh, zauberflöte, I covet a pair of shoes like that, but can not wear them because of my floppy arches. SOOOO pretty. Sorry I tempted you.
 
LeeApril26 Those are $107 shoes:yikes: I buy the $11 ones from Target.... haha. I sometimes have plantar fasciitis, but it only comes when I weigh over a certain amount. Otherwise, most of my shoes don't bother me at all. One mercy, isn't it? But I cannot wear lace-up shoes for long periods, or for everyday, as they hurt my instep, feels like cutting off the circulation.
I come on here and learn stuff without even trying! "Long" car rides, a no-no! So, guess I will not go up the road 100 miles any Sunday soon. Maybe not even to an important function in 2 weeks :( I'm sorry you had to be my guinea piggy for car riding....but you DID have a good time! :)
That's a long wait for the subway, but it sounds like the senior PT knows what he's talking about. This recovery business is long drawn out, isn't it.
TGIF and happy weekend!
 
This could lead to a shoe addiction.

zauberflöte I want those shoes - they are pink. I now want pink shoes very badly. Last week I really wanted a blue pair and still do. Oh to be rich ! I tried my old trainers on yesterday. They were the only shoes I wore for weeks and weeks pre-op as they were the only pair of comfortable ones I had and the only ones that I felt 'supported' in. Wow. I couldnt believe how badly they have worn so they turn right over to the side when I had them on. It is true what people say - you really do need to get new shoes post-op !
 
LeeApril26 zauberflöte TeeEm I too want those shoes they are gorgeous!!! Lee you have been very bad tempting us like this!! :heehee:
Sounds like you're are doing really well and the report that your ROM is extraordinary is wonderful news!! I'm sorry you are still getting some pain but it's encouraging to hear that it was the long journeys and not any normal everyday movement you're doing. Sounds like you are doing lots of exercise, walking and pool movements, makes me tired just reading it and I suppose I'm going to have to do more after my second surgery!! :sad:
 
Hi LeeApril26 I an not supposed to wear those sort of shoes either because I have a tendency towards flat footedness and need insoles for that problem.I do wear that sort of shoe very occasionally for special occasions but not for long.The shoes are really nice by the way.I was interested about the long car journey.How long was long.I was told no more than one hour then to get out and stretch.I hope your backache is subsiding
 
TeeEm LeeApril26 Poppet Kim22 Littlejem
The shoes are not pink they are "light brown burnished" haha. Goes to show what a computer can do to the eyes. The more I look at them.... the more I covet them....oh look!! Only that color is $107. Most of the others, pink and coral included, are $60. For Fryes, that's a steal!! LeeApril26 you gonna have a lot to answer for....:snork:
Poppet I should post those in the "Shoe Shine Shop" (I know it's not called that) in Social, shouldn't I?
Kim22 Car trip length-- the OS nurse told me, pre-op, that 100 miles on the interstate, about 1:40, was not too far at, say, 2-4 weeks. Knowing what I do now, I would no more attempt that than to fly to the moon!
 
@Zauberflote Littlejem Poppet TeeEm Kim22
So sorry to have been an occasion of shoe lust. It's just that I have a closet full of sandals that my surgeon has told me not to wear, so my mind is fixed on finding something nicer than my clumpy size 10 wide sneakers.

Regarding the car trip and possibly related back pain. The first trip was for a five day visit, involving a drive of two and a half hours for about 100 miles. It takes awhile because the first 45 minutes involves getting through Brooklyn into Manhattan and then out of Manhattan. I did get out both ways after an hour and a half, to use a restroom and walk around a supermarket. It seems like I should have done some gentle stretching, rather than lifting stuff off of shelves. My back went out after the return trip, and I had been pretty active during the visit.

The second round trip was 130 miles, mostly on highways, so about the same distance, and was an overnight trip. This was two days after I returned from the first trip. My back seemed fine, and I got out of the car half way again just to walk a little and use a hideously low toilet at the highway rest stop. (Handicapped!!!-just bars but very low.) When we arrived I leaned over to open my suitcase which was on one of those folding suitcase holders (no brain for names.) My back went again and is still very sore.

So, what I would suggest is if you are taking a long car ride, when you get out, do some stretches, or some gentle exercises. I plan to hang out at home for a while, but the weather is lovely, and I am hoping that I won't be punished by my back on my next escape from the city.
 
Poppet I'm trying to do just that. Me and my icepacks are inseparable. I made the ones suggested somewhere on BS, with alcohol and water in a plastic bag-they're terrific. How can I be in love with an ice pack?

Hope you are resting, too, and warm and cozy on your winter day. We finally have sun after days of driving rain.
 
LeeApril26, thanks for the link, I have registered as a practitioner and will get alerts now (along with all the other extremely technical research articles I receive. Approximately 20 a day!).

I am always researching! Just watch this space! I may be retiring from my current profession, but hubby and I are setting me up for my next career... Too early to reveal yet my dear peeps, but it will be very exciting!
 
LeeApril26 If I miss a day, I miss a lot of discussion on these threads, it seems. My, my BoneSmartonians have a lot to talk about, don't we?:)

Your 7 week update sounds very good, Lenora! Congratulations. Not having bone on bone pain is wonderful, and is really the reason for having the THR. So in that way, it's been a success. When everything else falls into place, which I'm sure it will soon, you'll be better than you were pre-op. Walking 1/2 mile sounds like a great accomplishment to me - I'm still trying for a block, without repercusions in the groin dept.
Your PT sounds very sensible about the subway and waiting 6 more weeks. It doesn't hurt to wait until you're really ready for it. I'll bet the subway can be very challenging in many ways, and not just for THR patients - just in general, it's pretty daunting.
So sorry that your back is still sore and giving you troubles! Have you tried massaging it? That seemed to help a few around here with back spasms. And the Arnica cream, and maybe heat alternating with ice? It's a puzzle sometimes to find the right combination of treatments that will help. Does PT have you doing core exercises, too?

All in all, you're doing really well, considering your only 7 weeks along, walking well, in the pool exercising, buying new shoes (that's the best part!), you've had a few get-a-ways. It sounds very positive to me. Keep up the good recovery.
 
ByGosh Thank you. Overall, I think it's going well. I wish I wasn't having twinges in the "good" hip. I suspect I will be doing this again in the not too distant future. Hoping I have some time. My impatience with the subway is because the pool I use is a subway ride away, and driving and parking in Manhattan is just too expensive. So it's either long car rides or no pool. The PT seems very skilled, but walking in the pool seems to improve my gait so much that I am eager to do it. Oh well. I am lucky to be doing as well as I am, and I know it. I have been using ice and heat for my back. I'm nervous about continued use of NSAIDS or Tylenol, but have been alternating.
Poppet Inquiring minds want to know about your new plan!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom