THR All Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry... Have to keep you guessing...

LeeApril26, just makes sure your Dr is checking your kidney function, especially, your eGFR and Creatinine (especially this test) levels and you will be fine..
 
Poppet. I have been on Meloxicam for two years. Stopped it after the surgery but may have to restart because of pain in the other hip. He has never mentioned testing my kidneys. How often should it be done? Can I assume that it was tested pre-surgery? Thanks so much for your advice. I have just been reading about white willow bark and wondering if it was safer.

Thanks again. Hope you get some sleep tonight.
 
LeeApril26, they normally do kidney function tests Pre surgery, so don't worry..

Regards starting a NSAID, if your last result was normal, 3 monthly testing should be fine, but do ask your Dr.. Remember is is my experience only :)
 
Hi, LeeApril26!! I have so many things I wanted to respond to you about in your last few days’ worth of posts, so I apologize for the length of this one!

I hope your thumbs are continuing to improve. Glad the culprint is technology
rather than arthritis (which is my problem; need to see “a hand man,” but don’t
have the heart to right now).
Your flowers from your garden are just lovely. I’m so impressed.

As for ironing, I need to iron everything—even those “no-iron blouses” I have
bought—all seasons. I wrinkle easily. All those wrinkle-release products don’t
work, either.

Sorry to grill you on the stairs, but just wondering if you are totally pain-free when
you do them? I am not, but cannot figure out if the pain is just weak-muscle pain
or arthritic pain (on the good side) or post-op surgery pain or what.

You describe pain very well, though I’m so sorry at how terrible it must be. (Your
description of what “putting out your back” feels like. I have been lucky to not have that kind of back pain. Just a lower back throb and ache that is annoying. I do think
moving things, lugging things, leaning over does not help. (I did ask my OS prior to
surgery if my big, heavy tote bag could be the culprit and he said no.)

You have been through a lot … thinking about your son and his casts. You are one
strong person (inside and out). I’m glad to hear you are listening to your PT and then
doing half of what she recommends.


I’m also so glad to hear you are able to make it to the pool! I know how therapeutic
that has meant to you. Do you have to drive in to Manhattan or do you have a local
pool that’s an option? So it’s six weeks till you take the subway? That’s good to know. It helps to have a clue. I keep getting asked why I’m not taking the subway yet. Sigh. People don’t get it. In my case, the stress of the crowds on the platforms and on the train drove me crazy. I could never get up early enough to avoid them—
either parents with kids; or tourists groups. I could not stand it. And I grew to fear
the people sneezing on or near me (because of the surgery). I am darn lucky to have
a bus, and the relief from just getting to sit there without packs of people is a slice of heaven I am not wanting to give up in terms of getting to and from work daily. But I know I will someday want and need to take the subway to other places. Just don’t want to do it twice a day during rush hour 5 days a week. We will have to compare
notes when we take our first train rides!

The groin pain for me was thought to be from a torn labrum; I took few cabs or cars,
but had a hard time getting the leg in. In fact, the car that took me to the hospital was a minivan and I had to be helped into it by the driver and two of my relatives. It was shocking how hard it was. I feel for people who have had to drive with this hip pain. Right now I have groin pain (if that is the right word) that is at the tops of my thighs, where they meet the joint. Not the inner-thigh, lower-area pain that I had pre-op that I describe as groin pain. That is gone.

No … no coffee drinking at 2 a.m.! I drink it all during the day to combat The Energy Drain (and poor quality sleep and boredom and frustration at work).

So happy you are on your fainting couch! Is it comfy? I have now found the right cushions to put onto my low couch and sit there instead of just on the couch. I was wrong to tackle low couches and low toilet seats just because the restriction was lifted. Too painful.

As for that traffic jam with the window washers … the bus driver couldn’t deny me and the others the right to get on the bus. I think he wasn’t sure how long the jam would last and was warning us he wasn’t going anywhere for a long time.

Thanks (I think, says the drunken-sailor-spender in me) for that shoe site! I sighed when I saw those pink (they look pink to me, not brown) ballerina flats. I used to live
in ballerina flats. Loved them to death. But can’t wear them anymore. I have two pairs left in my closet that have fairly supportive soles, which I will wear again someday. But not for a while. How do you like your Keens sandals? They are very cute, but I wonder if my baby toe would fall out. How long are you not supposed to wear sandals, per your OS? Did you show us your burgundy felt ones? I’d love a peek. I keep looking in at EasySpirit stores, but don’t see a thing I think I can wear this summer. Still wearing clodhopper (but spankin’ new, at least) walking shoes, as in sneakers/trainers as our British pals say. So sick of them, but they make me feel secure.

I just got to your PT evaluation! Wonderful news about your ROM! You must feel so good about that. It surely is a load off, and gives you confidence to tackle more things
as you feel able to. I don’t know beans about PT, obviously, but I would think long car rides would contribute more to back pain than scar tissue. But again, what do I know.

I think walking one half mile comfortably is a huge deal. I still have pain when I walk and sit. I could probably walk half mile without sitting, but I would really really want to sit and would need to. When you add that to all of your water work and PT, you are really doing so great and I hope you feel that way too. It must feel good to notice you are stronger and quicker! I was just thinking yesterday how I appear to walk in a slow, lumbering way rather than quick. Quicker is good!

You are doing incredibly well! As I said, a very strong lady (inside and out).

Hope you have a wonderful weekend and upcoming week!
 
Hi LeeApril26 - I finally did some catch-up reading... and I wanted to say: those are the Keens I have! I bought them last year when in North Carolina! Songman thinks we go to see his parents, but in fact the whole trip is a well-disguised shopping venture with my SIL and niece! :egypdance: I hope I have the stamina to shop some this year!
I found your mention of your car ride for your trip recently, and how long you could sit in the car, etc., very helpful. Thanks! And the discussion between you and Peaches in regard to the subway, etc..... that made me realize, for the five thousandth time, that there are so many different moves and activities that I have not even considered yet in terms of "can I do.....?" Goodness, I am such a flake!:blush:
 
Hi Peaches. Don't be impressed by the flowers. The plant was already here when we moved in. I did nothing but admire it. Wish I knew what it was!

My hip doesn't hurt when I go up the stairs normally, but sometimes my knees do. I have stopped using the cane on the stairs at home, and it seems easier without it. Yesterday I went down once grown-up style, but it was difficult so I am going to wait a while.

I used the pool at my friend's place last week, and then we went on an overnight trip. The hotel we stayed at had a pool that I used both days. I have put my gym membership in Manhattan on hold because it is too expensive to park there and I can't do the subway. We do have a cabin in the PA woods; the pool and lake there are now open, so if I can handle the trip we will go there and I can walk in either the pool or the lake when it warms up. Right now I am just doing PT and the exercises at home, but not daily. Today I went to an outdoor flea market and walked around for about a half hour. It was fun, but difficult because it was crowded. Came home and iced.

I understand why you take the bus. I've haven't had to do a rush hour commute in a long time. For about ten years I walked to work, and then I was going in the opposite direction for a while. Since 2001 I have been consulting (on hiatus right now) so I make my own hours and avoid the rush hour as much as I can. When I go to Manhattan I try to go at off hours. The rush hour commute is pretty bad.

The fainting couch/chaise is easy to get down and up from, because it is firm. It has a back, and I use pillows, so it is comfy. Still haven't done the couch. Too squishy still. Toilets seem to be okay.

The PT massaging the scar tissue seems to be helping the tingling in my leg. Also, I can move it more easily, and it doesn't seem to be pulling on that side as much.

Peaches, you are doing a lot more than my half-hour walk. You are getting up early, walking to the bus, getting on the bus, working all day, coming home, undoubtably doing some household jobs, ironing, and taking occasional shopping excursions. I do PT, exercise and take walks. I am cooking now, doing some light household stuff, and go to the supermarket and push the cart around madly cause I can walk more quickly with the cart. But no way am I doing as much as you are. If I had to get up and get out in time to get to work, I sure wouldn't be doing glute exercises and taking extra walks.

You shouldn't really ask me about the sandals rule, because I will go on another rant. He said I should NEVER wear open sandals again!!! I don't think I can handle that, but for now I am just wearing my croc flip flops in the house, and wearing socks with the Keen sandals outdoors. I don't think my toe would fall out but don't know because as per doctor's orders I am wearing darn socks. My PT has never heard of this rule, so said she would look to see if there are any articles about this.

This is the second pair of Keen shoes I bought on the 6pm site:
https://www.6pm.com/keen-trillium-black

It is felt, but very comfy, though the wrong season.

Well, I think I answered your questions, but wrote an epistle! Now I have a few questions?

What have you been up to this weekend? Have you continued experimenting with walking without the cane outdoors? Are you eating enough protein? I've been told it is important to build new muscle. I am trying to eat more yogurt and quinoa. I do eat chicken, but very little red meat because my husband has a heart condition.
Where does it hurt when you go up and downstairs? Did you say you had the Easy Spirit Travel Slides? Are they still comfortable?

Have a good week.
 
Songlady Do you go to the outlets off of I-95 in NC? I used to love them when we drove to visit friends in Hilton Head and Savannah. Sadly, our friends have moved to Naples, FL, and one round trip from NYC to Naples was enough for us. Too long. We do go to an outlet center in PA, but the one in NC had better selections. I can't imagine trekking around shops right now, but hopefully by the time you make the trip you will be up to it. And, there are always places to sit and rest.

Hope you had a sunny weekend. We were very fortunate. My daughter went kayaking on the Hudson yesterday, and it sounds lovely. Just can't imagine climbing down into a kayak again. (I never attempted the Hudson, just the Great South Bay.)
 
Hi LeeApril26 - I love the Keens clogs! Thanks for posting the link! Wow, what a good price......!
I have never been to coastal NC. We don't take 95; we leave CT, go down through New Jersey and across to PA. across, PA, then down 81, which follows the northern-most border of Virginia, all the way into Tennesse! Then we head South a few hours "over the mountain" (which, I learned early in my marriage, meant over any number of mountains!) to the Asheville area of NC. There are various nifty outlet stores in the outskirts of Asheville (the in-laws all live 35 mi out of that lovely city.) It's 14-16 hours of driving, so we stay along the way and make it a 2 day trip. This is sure gonna be interesting this time......!:shocked:

The kayak I've used (belongs to a friend) is a thing made of molded plastic and one sits ON it, not in it. I find it much easier to get into, hips or not! :loll: Here is one, but, ho well, I can't buy one this year, they're sold out, according to this web page! (Just kidding... wouldn't think of it right now!) https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/37019?page=yak-board-package-by-ocean-kayak&subrnd=0
 
(I did ask my OS prior to surgery if my big, heavy tote bag could be the culprit and he said no.)
Peaches ummmmmmm that would depend on who you asked about the heavy bag... 20+ yrs ago I had a superb PT for my back pain, upper not lower, but she advised all the same. Her advice was that what I really should do was put my flute bag on rollers, as it was causing and would continue to cause enormous problems. I didn't, but she was so right. I carry anything I have to carry on my right shoulder and the flute bag or a heavy tote hurts my right S-I joint instantly. S-I joint is not the same as throwing my back out, and not what I imagine lower back pain to be, but it might be connected. Weight the spine, cause trouble, I think. FWIW, my experience and that of most musicians I know-- and most woodwind bags, and many violin case covers, are now in the form of backpacks, to distribute the weight.

The PT massaging the scar tissue seems to be helping the tingling in my leg. Also, I can move it more easily, and it doesn't seem to be pulling on that side as much.
LeeApril26 Thanks you so much for having all these good discussions on your thread! may I ask, how far around the scar does your PT massage? I still have this goose egg at my incision, so I guess it's not just plain swelling. Cardie C Mac suggested it might be adhesions or something like that, wish i could remember exactly. So massage might be beneficial. I guess it can't do any harm. The stupid tape is still on it, and I have to wait for that to fall off before massaging, I believe. So only the very bottom is available to massage right now...

Songlady have you ever stopped at White's truck stop?? teehee. Please wave in an easterly direction as you hit I-64 on your trip-- the ZK will be in school in Fishersville, a stone's throw!
 
Songlady I have a cousin in the Asheville area, but have never been there. Hear it's lovely, and now I know there are opportunities for retail therapy! Doing it in two days is wise. How long do you stay? Hopefully, by the time you go you won't need to stop and stretch too often.
Glad you liked the Keen clogs. I thought they were really cute, and the price is good. I like the black ones, too but decided to be wild.
That kayak looks like fun. I've only done a two-person, with my son. I don't know how skillful I'd be on my own, but hopefully by next year I can try one. Right now it seems unimaginable. There are several free kayak places in NYC, and others that charge, but not too ridiculously.
 
zauberflöte - yes!! I know White's! I'll wave! (Still a few weeks until we head in that direction.)

That darned tape is still hanging on?? Wow! My home care nurse suggested letting the water REALLLLY run on it in the shower, to encourage it to come off...:whistle:
 
zauberflöte I think it may be too soon to massage your incision. Mine is almost a month older. The line is red, but there is no redness along the sides, and I have been cleared for a pool. My PT just started massaging last Monday. I also have a lump at either end, and little lumps all along the scar. The terms scar tissue and adhesions were used. The massage is firm, but not painful, starts at either end and goes up and down the scar, but about 5 minutes. Then the PT does the range of motion exercises, which are now really easy for me. Before the massage they use wet heat. After all the exercises they use ice.
 
That kayak looks like fun. I've only done a two-person, with my son. I don't know how skillful I'd be on my own,
LeeApril26 oh then you will have no trouble with a single LOL. Unless you just sat there in the double. A sea kayak 9as opposed to a white water one) wants to go where you want to go-- in calm water it's like flying, almost. It just goes. Wondrous sensation.
I was told by the infamous PA to massage with Vit E, and that I was cleared for swimming (till the nurse came along:skep: ) He also volunteered to take the tape off, after I asked about it, but he was chuckling evilly, so I passed on that. What i can see, where the tape came off at the bottom 2 weeks ago, is white , with two red points as though there had been staples there, probably from some tool~~~~~shudder~~~~I'm not going there:rotfl: He showed me a circular pattern followed by an across motion. So I don't have any oils at all yet, but I rub it gently several times a day when it's staring me in the face, if you get my drift....

Songlady oh-- lots of water, eh? Ok, will try! I've been picking at the long edges, which are loosening, but they put this on with gorilla glue, I swear! The scabs, as I've mentioned elsewhere, are going to be mummified by Christmas!

LeeApril26 I just want you to know that I HAD to order those flats. I got the cheap colors-- coral, and sage-- in two of my sizes, for a free trial don't you know. No obligation, don't you know. I've seen women wearing flats that looked soft like leather ballet slippers or Leslie Caron's shoes, and coveted them. These look right.... Maybe I'll win the lottery.....They had my Keen slides for 430, but only in size 5. They must be a clearance place. Love it, thanks for finding it!!
 
Don't be impressed by the flowers. The plant was already here when we moved in. I did nothing but admire it. Wish I knew what it was!
I quickly read through your thread this morning and could help noticing you didn't know what your new avatar plant from your garden is called? I thought you might like to know it's a Kerria Japonica, https://www.findmeplants.co.uk/plant-kerria-japonica-2100.aspx I knew what it was as they are fairly common here but thought you might like a little information? :)
 
zauberflöte. Oh, boy. I was an occasion of sin! You bought the flats! They are so pretty. They do remind me of Leslie Caron or Audrey Hepburn-very chic. It is a clearance place but the selection is pretty good.

It sounds like your incision is fine to massage if you can get the d*** tape off. Lots of cascading water sounds good, and then follow by rubbing around the tape with olive oil. My PT just said in scented oil or lotion. I use olive oil to get stuck band aids off when I am too chicken to pull.

My son taught me to paddle the kayak, and I am very comfortable in water. Just can't see myself trying it this summer with assorted back and body pains and undeveloped glute. Oh well. Next year.
 
LeeApril26 well, olive oil! It used to be peanut butter, as I recall, but I was never able toget that to work for me. I think I will try that. Three tiny pieces of tape worked their way loose after last night's shower and my picking at the edges. I think I have the same issue that beckylou had, where the top of the incision is not all the way stuck together yet, but I dasn't pull the tape any further:shocked: If it looks worse tonight I'll put a bandaid on it as ByGosh was saying somewhere the other day.
I'm not sure you want to care for your plant, your japonica, if it's been doing so well with you just looking at it...:wink:
 
zauberflöte You may be right about the plant. Don't want to kill it, but it could use a pruning, and I have been afraid to touch it. Will now research correct time to give it a cut.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom