Guest viewing is limited

TKR ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Elisea, you now have the names of your next batch of weeds. People just don't stop and think about being in the other persons shoes or how things will be perceived by them. They probably think they're being funny---but....well, you know. The really big deal is your new posture and gait and how you feel about it!
 
Elisea, I just laugh off things like that----people in Ski School are always willing to point out your new skiing error that they happened to see!! Just look at them and be happy that you are no longer there.

It is interesting though that an injury and surgery like ours brings out the compassionate side of our natures. I rush over to open doors for folks on crutches. I have been there!! If your legs continue to swell, you might try compression hose for a few weeks. Kelly
 
1ELISEA, first thanks for your words on my recovery thread. I'm glad you had some time in your garden. I look forward to that, too. I just got back home to Idaho, my garden is full, and it's perfect late summer weather. Sounds like you have some work colleagues with a sense of humor, and I'm sure kind ones at that. Happy Trails,
 
Just dropped by on the knee side, must say I have had and still do get comments like that from co workers and even 9+ months they think I should be fully recovered.. I explain my own personal formula...

12 months = 90% recovered
18 months = 100% recovered

So at 9 months I am only 50 % recovered! Then they get it, especially if I start to go into the gory details!
 
I mentioned the comments from work because others on this forum, lurkers especially because they don't post, might receive similar comments and wanted other TKR's to know what might be said when they return to work. Not to scare anyone or make them mad, but so that if someone makes such a gesture, you would have a comment ready to go.

And for the most part, I do think they mean well, but don't know how to express it and naturally speak with their bodies by using gestures. Wellll, except for the one doing Quasimodo, he was just ..... rude. But for the most part all have been astonished at how well I walk.
 
I did pretty well this last week at work. I did miss my afternoon nap :) but keeping hydrated helped. Drinking more water than I have in ages, thought it has to be good for the knee, and got in the habit of drinking lots of water while I was recuperating. So that's a good thing!
 
How does everyone else find the time to ice at work? By Friday I was limping some (bad habits die hard) and Saturday both legs were swollen up. My PT frowned at me today and said I need to ice more at work but I tell ya, it's hard to do.

How the teachers on this forum, who spend a great deal of time on their feet in the classroom, manage to ice during the day, I'll never know. I am in meetings myself or at my desk but it is hard to squeeze in icing my knee. sighhhhh
 
True it was hard to get time other than lunch to ice at work. It's hard to do much even while at your desk but try to squeeze in what you can. Also do a lot when you get home.
 
Wow, I have no idea where the time goes each day. It was easier to keep track of it when I took naps......... sigh... I miss naps!

One thing I noted on another post and may post more about if I find the time is ...... making the decision to go ahead with surgery.

I am not going with the cliche I heard alot about wishing I had done it sooner. Don't think I do. I waited but needed to do it on my timetable. Even though I waited until my choice was a wheelchair or surgery, it was I that needed to make that decision to have surgery.

And by waiting, I now have a nickel free implant which helps in alleviating some of my initial concern.

And the decision is one that each person needs to make for themselves. No one could have told me to have the surgery, it was something I had to decide.

But I will say this......... somewhere along the way, after checking and double checking, after interviewing several surgeons, after weighing the pros and cons, I finally decided have faith in my own judgment and put my trust in others.

Once I made the decision, I took the plunge and went full steam ahead. My philosophy which I will pass on, if you get to the point where you are ready and make the decision to have surgery, don't linger there; make the decision and go for it, get it done and get on with life.

Hope my words have helped somebody. :)
 
I was warned by my OS that the first winter I may be stiff because of the weather so not to worry.

Has anyone experienced being stiff the first winter after a TKR and then the next winter it was better?
 
Are people on this forum too new to having a TKR to respond the the question above?
Some have mentioned knowing when it's going to rain.
I'd appreciate knowing if you noticed any difference between winter and summer and how stiff you were or weren't.
 
Yea, I guess you'd have to be about a year out to have an opinion about winter. But that would be bad news living in Michigan.
 
I didn't really notice anything particular about the winter (I would have been about 6 months out) other than that my knee was stable for a change and ice wasn't quite as scary. :)
 
That is good to know. I was wondering about that myself!
 
And yes, another person kind of crinkled up their body and bent over to illustrate how I used to look. I know they mean well, but really, do you have to make an exaggerated attempt (I hope it was exaggerated) to show how bent over and hobbled I looked before? What are people thinking when they do that!
Hmm, they are probably trying to be nice -- 'this is what you don't look like!!' or 'You look good now' or even just trying to be amusing. That they can't see your point of view doesn't IMO always mean malice, just lack of empathy.
 
Just dropped by on the knee side, must say I have had and still do get comments like that from co workers and even 9+ months they think I should be fully recovered.. I explain my own personal formula...
12 months = 90% recovered
18 months = 100% recovered
So at 9 months I am only 50 % recovered! Then they get it, especially if I start to go into the gory details!

I will definitely remember this formula.
It is sooooo perfect!
Thank you for the suggestion!
 
Hmm, they are probably trying to be nice -- 'this is what you don't look like!!' or 'You look good now' or even just trying to be amusing. That they can't see your point of view doesn't IMO always mean malice, just lack of empathy.

Yes, well for the most part they are trying to be nice. Yesterday, I was walking a long hallway on my way out the door to the parking lot. Someone was coming the other way and said " OMG, you look great" and smiled broadly. I smiled and responded, "Yep, I no longer limp". Now I was pretty sure she was referring to how well I was walking .......... though I did have on a new outfit. :heehee:

Nah, pretty sure her comment was about the sans limp. And that was great; I could do with more reactions like that one. :thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom