Guest viewing is limited

TKR ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now if there only was a board like this for those with hand arthritis I'd be set.

1Elisea, you have hand arthritis too? Me too, my fingers aren't going in different directions or anything yet, but I have it in the base of my thumbs. Cortisone injections really seem to help and I was needing some really bad but couldn't have any right before knee replacement. But found the vicodin really helps the hand pain so I am set while I am still on it.
 
Congratulations on your ROM, Elisea....it will make those walks on the beach ever so much fun! Sorry you must head back to (ugh) work. Hopefully it won't take you long to get into the swing of things again. Take it as slow as you can!!!
 
1Elisea, you have hand arthritis too.

Ah, yes, Debbie, same as you in the base of the thumbs. Seems it is quite common, especially in women.

While off work for my knee, I followed up with a hand surgeon as I have started noticing they hurt more. My hands are not going in different directions yet either, but the bones at the base of my thumbs are suffering from osteoarthritis like my knee. Previously, taking NSAID's for my knee helped the thumbs but now I can no longer take NSAID's; too hard on my stomach.

I haven't had the cortisone shots yet in my thumbs though the dr offered. I'm going to start with occupational therapy along with custom made braces.

Some day I might surgery on the worst thumb but can and will wait; it would be nice if they came up with a workable joint replacement for the thumb like exists for the knee and hip, but from talking to the dr and my reading the options at this point are limited.
 
1Elisea, if you haven't had a cortisone shot in the base of your thumb, it is something you should try. I was surprised how long they lasted for pain relief. One hand lasted for about 7 months and the other only about 3 or 4 months, but I think that is because I had to use that hand much harder after my hip replacement, with using a cane, more pressure on that hand. So before you consider surgery, I would try the shot.
 
Debbie, I'll consider it; wanted to try the hand PT and braces first. Not sure I will every have surgery unless they make lots of headway in such procedures.
 
People keep asking if I am excited to return to work. :what: And they always use the word "excited". :scratch:

Hmmm..... I have an position which is highly demanding, stressful, pressure laden, yet affords me great deal of latitude and carries a huge amount of responsibility and reward. But that description probably matches for a great many BS'ers as we are a highly educated, highly motivated, cutting edge group.

Balance that against having a fully paid 3 month recovery period. And I have been recovering; probably the last two weeks I've actually had the opportunity to really enjoy some of the time off.

It's hard thinking about going back now that I have been stress free for awhile. Not sure I'd use the word "excited"; the people at work will meet me with flowers in one hand and a stack of work with the other all needing attention yesterday. Maybe when I win that lottery.........

Should be interesting next week!
 
That sounds like my old job!
 
Oh my ...... I still hurt from my gardening this weekend. My knees have recovered after a day of achiness. My hands are suffering, though, as I did a lot of pruning of fairly large bushes.

Yesterday, I bought a small cordless bush trimmer, we'll see how it works out. Also bought a hand ratcheting pruner designed to take pressure off your hand by assisting with the cutting.

Funny thing is, though, many of the ratcheting pruners are heavy, I mean heeeeaaavvvvy, which doesn't help if you have hand problems having to hold it. I managed to find one made of titanium and is light enough to use so hoping it helps me to finish my pruning without doing more damage to my hands.
 
EXCELLENT! That is what my OS said when he saw my Xrays!!

I was thinking the same thing right before he came in the room! The bone looks wonderful, no funny looking spots on the xray, the implant looked great, leg is straight.

He was even pleased with my functional ROM; of course, my goal is still 130+ and I am very close to getting there.

I had my leg stretched out on the table, flat as a pancake, straight as an arrow and when he walked in the room I said, "look at that, look how flat and straight it is!" ; he smiled. Think he is happy with his work on me.

How is that for a report out! :yay:
 
Very Nice!!! It feels good to have such a great report. Keep up the good work and enjoy the remnant of your time off while you are feeling good.
 
[Bonesmart.org] ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th
Great report, Elisea. Good your doc is pleased---even more important that you are pleased. Can you now say that you're glad you had this done? Sure sounds like it. Keep up the good work---you'll get that 130 yet.
 
Great News! Yay! Things are looking up! Xray should ease your mind! I am so happy for you:) Should help you have wonderful holiday weekend!
 
Thought you might find this interesting - Orthodoc; Josephine;

Interesting question posed a few posts above, but glad, not glad, doesn’t enter into my thought process, it’s like asking the positive vs. negative question. It was something that had to be done, I could not continue to function at that level. I am thankful to be on the other side and progressing.

My concerns will continue for a few years regarding my sensitivities to metals. I have huge allergy issues and when I decided to go ahead with a TKR, the risk of complications was finally outweighed by the status quo of doing nothing.

But so far, recovery is fine, a bit rocky, but fine and doing well. Much of that due to a great support team. My support team of my sister and her family, Orthopedic Surgeon, Physical Therapist.

Family
My sister and family who took me in for a couple of weeks, cooked for me delicious gourmet meals, ran my errands and let me heal. They were incredible.

Orthopedic Surgeon
My Orthopedic Surgeon whom I chose after interviewing several. Can’t overemphasis how important a good OS is on my team.

My OS is a leader in his field, and in developing and teaching new approaches, in his thinking towards TKR's, and in his investigation and innovation with implants. He is tops in his surgical skills, yet conservative in his aftercare. When there was even a hint something might be amiss with the implant, he immediately put me back on crutches and had them do all of the appropriate testing. And was completely upfront in discussing it all with me, that was key; including me fully in all of the conversation and explaining what the issues were and why he was taking that action.

He is all business, but was smiling this week when I was showing him my perfectly flat to the table, perfectly straight leg, and so was I.

Physical Therapist
And finally, my Physical Therapist was interviewed and chosen carefully; but was my only choice after remembering her care when I had issues previously. She never hurt me, not once.

When I complained about an exercise she dropped it or changed it. When I could not do any weight bearing therapy for several weeks and was concerned that my ROM would never recover, she gained 5 degrees a week by table work only; massaging and stretching.

Even now, as I expressed the goal of 130 functional degrees ROM (I have a deep flexion implant), she says I can get there but we’ll do it over a period of several weeks so as not to injure the bone that is finally healing.

I chose wisely; my team were advocates for my success with my TKR!
 
Welllll, tomorrow is my first day back to work after 12 weeks....... :shocked:

Sent an email to colleagues and got back a, "Gee, we remember the name, but can't place it with a face". They are sooooo funny. Maybe they are just jealous that they didn't get to go through such a lovely operation. For some reason, the belief is that I have been kicking back enjoying myself all summer.

If only they knew; but wait, they will as I plan to tell them exactly what the recovery is for this operation! :yes:
 
Hi ELISEA1, just wanted to drop by and say hello. :)

Good luck going back to work, it's a huge milestone! Glad to hear you're doing so well!
 
Thanks bassplayer! Guess everyone has to go back to work sooner or later.

We'll see how well I am doing after a full day at work tomorrow. I will bring a couple of the chemical instant ice packs with me just in case I need to ice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom