TKR ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there ya have it, that's how I've been. Kind words are welcome but it might take me awhile to acknowledge them as I am now narcoleptic from not sleeping well. Oh, what... sorry I must have dozed off.:yawn:

As a postscript:
Well as you can see from the time on this post, I am narcoleptic during the day and an insomniac at night. AGHHHHH!
 
Hi Elisea!
So sorry about your ankle and being so overwhelmed at work. You have been missed. HUGS!
 
Thanks for the update Elisea - been missing you. I can't imagine what it must be like to have to go back to work - & to work when you haven't had a decent night's sleep is even worse - PLUS the discomfort. Feeling really sorry you are having all this stuff. Everyone says it will get better & I'm sure it will, but the patience that's required is something else. I am nearly 20 weeks post op now & am doing great but am feeling FAR from 'normal', just keep hanging in there :console2: x
 
Elisea;
So sorry to hear of the complications... I will show my ignorance by asking what precisely is the "IT Band". I do know that I still have issues with my feet hurting now and because of that foot pain, being careful with not overdoing my PT and walks. I am up to 1.6 miles daily with some uphill and downhill mixed in. Different day, different foot talking to me. I am fortunate that I waited until I retired to make this journey as I did not want to have to go back to work during the very loooong recovery (6 months and I 'm all well ?? Ha Ha !!). Sorry you are going through this at work.....I am sending positive energy your way to get past this and hope your nights can be more restful..:)
I have been intending for some time now to post some pics of my new BTKR "alignment" as opposed to how they looked 23 weeks ago, pre-op ( before and after, if you will) but I 've been procrastinating and doing some travelling for fun and family and learning my limitations, the hard way, on airplane seating :sad:.
Hope to get those after pics taken today........
Best wishes from another of the "May Marvels" !

Thom aka "Spiderman"
 
Yes, the surgeon seems to be spot on regarding healing time. It is good to hear that it's getting behind you and that you feel you are healing. Is it that you don't notice as much? Or the post surgery stiffness is alleviated?
There are finally some times I do not notice it so much, the foot and the knee. Still have some post surgery stiffness, mostly around the front of the knee. Every thing getting better, slowly.
Good questions in your last post about nickel implants, I have the Oxinium knee, only because that is what my OS uses.
 
Hi Elisea!
So sorry about your ankle and being so overwhelmed at work. You have been missed. HUGS!
Awwwww, thanks Nyland.
I tell ya, it's hard sometimes trying to work, recover, talk, walk and chew gum all at the same time.
Who are those cuties in your new avatar?:)
 
Thanks. My daughter and grandson.

It is tough to work a full load, take care of business, try to have a life...while recovering. Because we are back at work, everyone thinks we are back to 100%. I get it. Take care of yourself, my friend.
 
Elisea,
Glad that you're still here with us. I feel like it's good to continue posting and "catching up" with others here until we feel that we're recovered fully -- be it a year or 1-1/2 years. Just don't try to stick to a "schedule" of "I should post an update because it's been a long time". We can post and check up on each other whenever we have time -- regardless of a time-frame. It helps to find out what's happening to others at 5 months, 6 months, ... and on out.

I'm 6-1/2 months post, and have some of the same issues. My left ankle seems to be permanently sprained (many sprains over my lifetime). The right ankle has been sprained many times too, but the left one seems to protest the most often. I'm not sure about the "IT band" issue. The pain that I have sometimes is on the inner side of my knee. When I've been sitting for awhile, I still get up and flex my knee and legs "briefly" before walking -- not all of the time, but sometimes. Sitting at the organ on Sunday mornings, I flex and stretch my knee/leg here and there (during the sermon), and sometimes straighten my leg up on the organ bench for a few minutes. I get the normal "clicks" occasionally with my knee, along with the tight hamstring behind the knee. So there's still plenty of recovering to do.

Positive thoughts and prayers for your knee and leg's adjustment to your being back at work -- and for continued recuperation -- AND much needed rest/sleep at night. Take care.
 
I’m curious why they continue to use implants with nickel. The document attached to the other thread was authored in 2001, (“Metal Sensitivity In Patients With Orthopaedic Implants”). It is unfortunate and frustrating for those of us with metal sensitivities that the jury is still out, over a decade later, on nickel hypersensitivity, and that testing of same remains difficult. Is there a reason why nickel is still common within implants? Instead of making it the exception, if it is questionable, why not have the default be a nickel free alloy for all metal implants within the human body?


Elisea,

You brought up some great points in your post about metal allergies. Unfortunetly, I do not have a good answer for those questions. There are many complex factors that are considered when creating a metal alloy that needs to be implanted in a person. Traditionally joint replacements combine colbalt, chromium, nickle and other metals. The choice for these metals have to do with bio-compatabilty, resistance to corrosion, strength, elasticity, resistance to deformation, hardness, and roughness. I am not sure specifically how the nickle composition specifically effects each of these factors.

There are other metal alloys used in orthopaedics such as titanium. Titanium is frequently used for plating systems, nails and screws. Titanium alloys have virtually no nickle, but is not used for joint replacements. The reason for this has to do with its bio-mechanical properties.

Orthodoc
 
Because we are back at work, everyone thinks we are back to 100%. I get it.
I get it too! Everyone at work has been so supportive. My boss won't let me walk a print job in to her unless I want the exercise! The photocopy center downstairs has offered to bring up any jobs I send them for printing. It's at home that I seem to be facing the situation where the Hubs thinks I'm improving faster than I feel like I'm improving. :doh:I think he's trying to be encouraging when he goes on about what he sees as proof I'm improving.

I know I'm improving; I can feel the difference myself. But I'm nowhere near 100%. If I had to put a number on it I'd say I'm probably between 45-55% most of the time. After a full day of work AND PT, it's more like 30%. :sad: But I'm trying to focus on the long term results. I'm only about 2-1/2 months out and I tell myself every single day there's nowhere to go but forward. Anything else is not an option! I know, easy to say here. It's not so easy to do when you're aching and tired and just want to rest. Elisea - I hope things settle down for you and that your ankle feels better soon! Take care. :yes:
 
Thanks for the update Elisea - been missing you. I can't imagine what it must be like to have to go back to work - & to work when you haven't had a decent night's sleep is even worse - PLUS the discomfort. Feeling really sorry you are having all this stuff. Everyone says it will get better & I'm sure it will, but the patience that's required is something else. I am nearly 20 weeks post op now & am doing great but am feeling FAR from 'normal', just keep hanging in there :console2: x


Thanks reetpteet
We had our surgeries within a week of each other.

What is it they say about the "New Normal". I want to get to the point where I don’t think about my knee everyday. My coworkers who have had replacement surgeries tell me it does happen; they only think about how their knee is doing when someone asks about it ....like me …. :heehee:

Hopefully, by this time next year, we also won’t be thinking about how are knees are doing.

And it is fantastic that you are doing so well! Great job!
 
Elisea, You brought up some great points in your post about metal allergies. Unfortunetly, I do not have a good answer for those questions. Orthodoc

So sorry, Orthodoc, didn't mean to put you on the spot, and you provided a very thoughtful response, thank you. In an age where we expect the latest and greatest iphone or app, waiting for the latest and greatest in surgical techniques or joint replacements or next generation drug, sometimes creates impatience. :)
 
Elisea,

You brought up some great points in your post about metal allergies. Unfortunetly, I do not have a good answer for those questions. There are many complex factors that are considered when creating a metal alloy that needs to be implanted in a person. Traditionally joint replacements combine colbalt, chromium, nickle and other metals. The choice for these metals have to do with bio-compatabilty, resistance to corrosion, strength, elasticity, resistance to deformation, hardness, and roughness. I am not sure specifically how the nickle composition specifically effects each of these factors.

There are other metal alloys used in orthopaedics such as titanium. Titanium is frequently used for plating systems, nails and screws. Titanium alloys have virtually no nickle, but is not used for joint replacements. The reason for this has to do with its bio-mechanical properties.

Orthodoc


OrthoDoc, I have a Titanium implant. The new Stryker Titanium total knee. What is it about titanium that could be a problem? I heard that titanium is very inert in the body, super light, and extremely durable. They use it to make aircraft skins. I even have titanium eyeglass frames that weigh no more than a packing peanut.
 
Hi Titianlady,
let me tag him for you Orthodoc.
Orthodoc - Titianlady asked a question in the post prior to this one.
 
What is it about titanium that could be a problem? I heard that titanium is very inert in the body, super light, and extremely durable. They use it to make aircraft skins. I even have titanium eyeglass frames that weigh no more than a packing peanut.


Titianlady,

Let me start off by adding to my earlier comments. Previously, I had stated that titanium was not used in joint replacements. That statement is more of a generality as there is some previous history of use of titanium in joint replacement implants and some newer application of titanium in joint replacements. I will explain a little more.

There are several manufactures who are pursing the use of titanium on the non-articulating side of joint replacements. Specifically, there are now materials that are coated onto the backside of the the joint replacements (both hips and knees) that allow in-growth of bone into the prosthesis. Some companies are using titanium as one of the products to accomplish this. This material can be used in a cementless total knee system where bone in-growth is necessary for the long term success of the implant. Additionally, titanium is used in the stems for hip replacements. There are however, very few examples in current use of titanium being used as the articulating surface for the prosthesis. Specifically, I am referring to the part of the joint where the motion is occurring.

There are several reasons for this. Titanium is softer than Cobalt-Chrome, making it more susceptible to damage and less wear resistant. Titanium also has poor sheer strength, a factor that is necessary for the articulating surface of a joint. The more damage that happens either to the metal or plastic surface of the joint replacement, the more likely that the loosening will occur from a process called osteolysis.

This, however, does not stop engineers from developing new applications of titanium that one day might make their use in the articular bearing surface of joint replacements more common place.

Orthodoc
 
Oh, Doc - there was a time I knew all that in para 3 like the back of my hand. Your post just reminded me I haven't thought about it in years! I think I must be getting old!
 
There are finally some times I do not notice it so much, the foot and the knee. Still have some post surgery stiffness, mostly around the front of the knee. Every thing getting better, slowly. Good questions in your last post about nickel implants, I have the Oxinium knee, only because that is what my OS uses.

That is fantastic Pumpkln that attention to the knee is fading. Maybe soon you will go long periods of time without noticing. :) Don't ya wish!

Ah, yes, I have some stiffness around the front of the knee, too. Mine is on top and in the front and I wondered why that particular area. Doesn't seem like it should be worse there than in other areas of the knee. Would you know why? Or is it a different area in front of the knee that has the stiffness?

Your surgeon uses the S&N nickel free as the default "go to" knee; that is interesting.
I was reading somewhere about the future of knee replacements coming in the next decades.

Things the were mentioning included very little to no cutting, instead they make a cap out of composite materials, such as what new airplanes are made of, then fit it over your existing bone and use types of glues or other materials to attach. All futuristic now but who knows when and what ideas will become reality in the decades to come.
 
So this is rather weird.

The left ankle that I sprained a few weeks ago was feeling better (my TKR was the right knee). Earlier this week I was walking to a meeting and my ankle popped, I heard it, the guy next to me heard it, and it immediately started hurting.

When I got home for the day I iced it for hours and by then it was huge. And after being on it all day, it is swollen tonight. During the day at work I have had it propped up on a chair and that has helped some.

The interesting part about it is that it almost feels like something went back into place. The first sprain caused something to go out of alignment and the second sprain put it back. At least, I am hoping that is the case.

In the meantime, my whole foot is still so swollen that I can barely bend my toes, and the ankle and instep are huge. Can't wait to have a normal walk again; it's been years and I was so close about a month ago before the ankle sprain happened.
 
That is fantastic Pumpkln that attention to the knee is fading. Maybe soon you will go long periods of time without noticing. :) Don't ya wish!

Ah, yes, I have some stiffness around the front of the knee, too. Mine is on top and in the front and I wondered why that particular area. Doesn't seem like it should be worse there than in other areas of the knee. Would you know why? Or is it a different area in front of the knee that has the stiffness?


Wow, those new future procedures sound wonderful!! But I wonder of they do little or no cutting how do they remove the arthritic, deteriorated bone? If they don't it would just continue to go farther. Do you have a link to this information? I am very intrigued!!!

Your surgeon uses the S&N nickel free as the default "go to" knee; that is interesting.
I was reading somewhere about the future of knee replacements coming in the next decades.

Things the were mentioning included very little to no cutting, instead they make a cap out of composite materials, such as what new airplanes are made of, then fit it over your existing bone and use types of glues or other materials to attach. All futuristic now but who knows when and what ideas will become reality in the decades to come.
 
Hi 1ELISEA, Nice to see you but sorry to hear about all your ankle woes. I too have been around BoneSmart much less since being back at work full time.

Both my knees are getting better little by little. The right one (repaced June 7) is much stiffer than the left (replaced Dec 21). But basically pain free on both sides. I can actually stand and walk (and shop!) now. My main problem now is a lack of stamina. It's hard for me to walk more than 2-3 blocks. I get very exhausted. The last couple of years being so sedentary with bad knees must have taken their toll. Working on it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom