A New Milestone for Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jamie--
Once again we are so similar! I also spent my afternoon working in my yard, weeding, trimming, and cleaning up the yard. I also love working outside and the satisfaction I get from the results. I was able to do so little gardening last year and missed it so much.
It was a very good day. Congrats!
 
Doug, I can tell a difference in the bed where I worked. But we have so many beds and landscaping, that there is a WEALTH of work yet to do!!! But it is good mental therapy as well as physical to get out there, so I'm looking forward to doing more. I think it feels like you guys do when you bike for a longer-than-normal trip. Everyone has his or her own thing that turns them on!
 
Jamie, I'm in the same position..The locations where I've worked look great..Others, one in particular, I've got to get in and remove a build up of Poison Ivy..That one will be a challenge.
One thing I did find handy..I got an old pair of my sons skateboard knee pads and used those while I was down on my knees planting. It made all the difference. You can buy other types of knee pads at Home Depot.
 
So glad you were all able to enjoy your gardening experiences. I also spent hours out in the backyard yesterday. We put our gazebo (tentlike) back up so we can enjoy some bug free meals in there again this summer. It took a lot of walking back and forth and stretching up etc. My knee didn't hurt at all, though it was incredibly stiff after. I was also shattered after, but we went out to friends for supper after, we had Guyanese food, chicken and lamb curries mmmmmmmmmmmmm fabulous. Then a Nigella Lawson type chocolate and cherry trifle laced with brandy. Yummy!! Fell into bed last night exhausted but happy!!
 
Jamie--
Once again we are so similar! Congrats!

The joys of a beautiful garden in summer! It's nice to share that with you. I'm glad you enjoyed your day too. Thanks!!!
 
Jamie, I'm in the same position..The locations where I've worked look great..Others, one in particular, I've got to get in and remove a build up of Poison Ivy..That one will be a challenge.
One thing I did find handy..I got an old pair of my sons skateboard knee pads and used those while I was down on my knees planting. It made all the difference. You can buy other types of knee pads at Home Depot.

Ohhhh myyyy....poison ivy. I don't have trouble with it here in Kansas City, but I have a MAJOR problem going at our lake house. It moved in and surrounded my iris and hosta plants. Because of my knee problems, I couldn't get to it for two summers. We haven't been to the lake since my surgery and I'm dreading going to see how it is growing now. I'm not too sure how I'm going to attack it. I was thinking I'd put on some jeans and long sleeves and try to dig out the irises at least to save them, then kill everything ekse with brush killer. But I don't know. If it's bad enough, I may just have to sacrifice the irises too. I HATE poison ivy. It never used to bother me, but as I've gotten older, I am now much more sensitive to it. It's really hard to keep ahead of it when you live right up next to the woods.

I have some knee pads that I bought for a remodeling project and I think I'll be pulling them out along with a foam kneeling pad. I'm not sure at this point what my "stance" will be for planting that needs to be done. Yesterday I just sat down on the ground for the few times I needed to be that low. The rest of the time I bent over to dig and scoop up leaves and weeds. So far that is working. No matter....it's still FUN to be getting back to life again!
 
Sue, sounds like you had a fabulous day yesterday! Isn't it great to be getting back to normal? I love it!!!
 
I am in so much PAIN today that I am reading the posts about getting better. mulching with this or that and the full moon to keep my mind on the prize and you guys are sure part of that. It is the hope you are giving me right now that is keeping me motivated towards being my old old self again. Makes me feel excited to just think about being able to go to the grocery store or to be able to walk the dog or, my favorite, to sew. Out here is Southern Arizona there isn't much to mulch but heck, I would be excited if I could do that. You guys were talking about restless legs, that is something that runs in my family and that I haven't had much of a problem with since my knees started up, wonder if I will have a problem again once the surgery is done, which is going to be a week from tomorrow. I am getting excited, think I will actually start packing my things this week. WOW!
 
Rowdy, hopefully this week will pass quickly for you and you will be on your way to your new life!!! You have such a great attitude....even when you are in pain like today! I admire your strength.
 
Rowdy,
My yard is in such horrible shape because of the same situation you describe.. My house is on a hill. For the last two years, I couldn't get out and do the stuff I needed to do so it is overgrown with grape vines, dead limbs, poison ivy etc. (It's a wooded lot) with beds. Much of it, I don't want my wife or son messing with.
Give yourself some time, and you will be out there with the best yard in Arizona. Being able to walk on uneven ground is still amazing to me. I did so much yesterday that I'm having to take it easy today. BUT, it gets better every couple of weeks.
 
It is a great feeling to be getting back to doing normal things Rowdy. That will be happening to you in the future too. Packing a bag is a great idea. I was due to have my surgery on January 16th, then had a phone call on the 4th to say there had been a cancellation as someone was sick and could I do a swap with them and go in on the 9th instead? What a panic, nothing ready, no meals pre cooked, no time for much cleaning as I had some things to shop for. Had to cancel all kinds of apoointments and get my pre op tests done. Never even had time to have my pre op video and info session. Thank goodness my hubby is very domesticated, he told me not to panic and leave some things to him. Besides that, I am not good when my plans get changed. Still, we managed between us. Hope all goes well on the 13th. ((((((HUGS))))))))) Sue
 
Oh yes, all this talk about yard work is getting me anxious for next summer. This week my husband finally relinquished and hired some local neighbor kids to clean up our wooded back yard (leaves, limbs, etc.). Between my bad knees and his bad back, we just can't do this stuff anymore. We were feeling a bit guilty watching these kids do the work while we sat and watched, but I kept saying to myself "Next summer I'll be doing this myself!" I just wanted to get my hands in the dirt and plant some flowers.
Rowdy: Best of luck to you on your procedure. It will be well worth it in the long run. Mine isn't until June 16, but I will definitely be looking for some good progress reports. Hopefully by fall we can be encouraging others.
 
Just came in from my morning of yard work..The temp is already getting hot. Since I was messing with vines, including Poison Ivy and Oak, I had to wear long pants, long sleeves, and gloves. It felt great to work up the sweat. Still have lots to do, but I think I will include my son in the action. I still fatigue so quickly compared to just a few years back...Oh well it will come.
 
I had planned to plant my veges & flowers today, but my son forgot his work boots for job # 2 this afternoon and called begging me to bring them. So i'll burn some of my gas and some of my sunny new knees afternoon and go. Now that he's "grown-up (19) and working he actually spent money on me for mother's day so you know how it is..... Maybe I'll have to go to the mall and "walk" with my early mothers day bath & body gift card!!!!!! We'll see. It really is too nice to go in to the mall.
 
A new milestone for me was taking the car around the car park! I had my op 5 weeks ago, and it felt good. I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow to see if he will let me back to work. He'll probably tell me to wait and see the consultant,but it's worth a try. I do short journeys in the car, and it's ok.
 
I remember the fist car drive. I was scared and boy was I hurt ing & exhausted. Now I just go. What a blessing! You might get back to work, some do this early. But some wait til 6 weeks. either way, enjoy driving.
 
So, i did both. plants are in and I went walking. But i didn't go to the mall. It was lunch so I stopped agrabbed some fastfood I mean sin food, and went to a nice park to sit and eatit. I sat there and watched all these people walking on their lunch breaks or with the dogs, one guy was even roller blading all dressed in yellow including his helmet. I said if you sit here on this beautiful day after eating this garbage and don't get up and walk after all this to fix your knees, you're a fool. It is always harder to start, but once I'm going and when I'm finished I'm glad I did it. Hard not cause it hurts or anything. My mind is just so trained to sit after years of doing it. You know that part we all swear they btook out of our brains when they did our knee surgery? I think it was to leave room for the retraining our thinking will need to do. So, I delivered the boots, ate lunch, walked at the park, went to the grocery and came home and planted all my plants. And when I was in the store, I got to the register and forgot a couple things and instead of saying forget it, I went back for them... Now, for a normal person that may not sound like such a big deal, but as all you my fellow "kneesals" know it is. WOW, Thank God for TKR!
 
That is great Jenn, you did such a lot. Yes it is a big deal to go back for something eh? At least you got some fresh air whilst you ate your "garbage" lunch, vitamin D right? LOL
 
I think I'm entering a new milestone phase. My RTKR was February 29th and afterwards the outside of my leg at the knee was deader than a doornail....absolutely no feeling out about 2 inches from the scar and about 6-7 inches down my leg. Slowly ever slowly, I've been getting feeling back in that area and now even the area near the scar feels a little more human.

For those of you who are further out than a couple of months, does all of the feeling come back to the skin around the incision? That would be wonderful if it did! Of course, if it doesn't, I STILL am in love with my painfree bionic knee.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom