Guest viewing is limited

A New Milestone for Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jamie, I've had more feeling in the numbed skin lately as well. But this am my hubby was rubbing my knee and I still couldn't feel it. Slow but sure. Depends on the spots. And the knees are feeling a little less like 2 big hard things in my legs. I had my 8 (9) week follow up with OS yesterday. "Model patient". "Nothing more PT can do for you". "Keep walking". "See you in 10 months".
 
ooops hit enter instead of space. I'm so grateful that my surgerey and recovery thus far has gone so well. Pain is much less. Usually after I've done a lot or end of day. Maybe one pill a day and usually something at night just because the knees feel like 2 rocks banging. I want to start cutting out more and just have it for really bad over do days or rain. You all know the drill. Jamie, I'm going to buy some paint to pretty the house for sale. What a gift to be able to physically do that, paint!
 
Jamie,
Not sure why, but my medial surface sensation after my PKR is close to normal--- but the lateral side of my knee is still numb 25 years after I had major reconstructive surgery. The sensation just never came back.... the only time I really notice it is when I shave my legs... just becomes "the way it is". Must have to do with nerve damage.



I think I'm entering a new milestone phase. My RTKR was February 29th and afterwards the outside of my leg at the knee was deader than a doornail....absolutely no feeling out about 2 inches from the scar and about 6-7 inches down my leg. Slowly ever slowly, I've been getting feeling back in that area and now even the area near the scar feels a little more human.

For those of you who are further out than a couple of months, does all of the feeling come back to the skin around the incision? That would be wonderful if it did! Of course, if it doesn't, I STILL am in love with my painfree bionic knee.
 
ooops hit enter instead of space. I'm so grateful that my surgerey and recovery thus far has gone so well. Pain is much less. Usually after I've done a lot or end of day. Maybe one pill a day and usually something at night just because the knees feel like 2 rocks banging. I want to start cutting out more and just have it for really bad over do days or rain. You all know the drill. Jamie, I'm going to buy some paint to pretty the house for sale. What a gift to be able to physically do that, paint!

Jenn.....I agree about the joy of being able to do projects again. That has been a thrill for me as well. Congratulations on your excellent report from the doctor!!! We definitely earn these gold stars, don't we!
 
I think I'm entering a new milestone phase. My RTKR was February 29th and afterwards the outside of my leg at the knee was deader than a doornail....absolutely no feeling out about 2 inches from the scar and about 6-7 inches down my leg. Slowly ever slowly, I've been getting feeling back in that area and now even the area near the scar feels a little more human.

For those of you who are further out than a couple of months, does all of the feeling come back to the skin around the incision? That would be wonderful if it did! Of course, if it doesn't, I STILL am in love with my painfree bionic knee.

Jamie,
Nerve regeneration takes time. I had surgery on my face in 1982 (had 1/2 of my left parodid gland (salivary gland) removed due to encapsilated lymph nodes (it was exploratory as the "lumps" could have been 1 of 13 different things 11 of them being cancerous.....
Anyway, I had 200 stitches on the side of my face from the top of my ear, down the front of the ear, 1/3 up the back of the ear, and down about 3 inches in my neck. Lots of nerves were cut but only one that resulted in permanant paralysis (it is an unimportant one and does not affect how my face functions). I could not feel my left ear at all! As the nerves regenerated, the area became very "hot" like I was being poked with a hot poker. This would happen occasionally and I would eventually get some feeling back. All the nerves have regenerated and I can feel my ear now. My scar is minimal. Most people never notice it.
So, look for the "feeling" of the hot poker and you will know they are starting to reconnect. I hope this helps!
Best,
Crystal aka ship4
 
Thanks, Crystal. You know I have noticed twinges in that side of the knee now and then. Maybe it is the nerves getting back to normal. Hope so!!!
 
Jamie,
Not sure why, but my medial surface sensation after my PKR is close to normal--- but the lateral side of my knee is still numb 25 years after I had major reconstructive surgery. The sensation just never came back.... the only time I really notice it is when I shave my legs... just becomes "the way it is". Must have to do with nerve damage.

I think I can answer that, beach. It's because the incisions for reconstruction are quite different than for a TKR. In the latter, the surgeon just opens up and goes into the joint but for ligament recons, he has to elevate the muscles from the sides of the femur, often in layers, so he can work on the repairs. Hope this makes sense.
 
My previous surgery was the Maquet type tibial tubercle elevation and my scar is on the lateral side of both knees and about 6" long. I have no sensation on the entire lateral surface of both knees. I don't know what role the ligaments and muscle displacement have in a Maquet. I'm still not too sure about all the layers surgeons have to go through to do these procedures.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom