TKR 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary @wolf woman

Saw your post to Janet.
Good to hear from you.
It's 1:30 am here, will send you a longer post tomorrow.

Take care,
Cathie
 
Hello all my Fellow Bone Smarties!

First, I want to thank each one of you who sent me such lovely words when I announced my Mom's passing. It truly means a lot to me. There is no family remaining, I am the last one. While I have a hubby, we have no children, nieces, nephews, etc. Both of us are an only child. I must admit when I read posts of the things you guys do with family, I cannot help but wonder what that's like.

It's been a bit since I have been able to focus on this forum. Basic survival mode set in when Mom passed and I am still there. Today I finalized all the memorial details. Since she donated Her body to science, time is not an issue. Hubby and I have both been quite ill with bronchitis. So, I scheduled the memorial for 10/30 to gives us time to get well. This morning I called my lung docs office and they brought me in one hour later. They gave me a new kind of test to calculate the inflammation in my lungs. It's supposed to be less than 25 and my results were 32. Ugh. More steroids. Couple that with the ugly pain in my knee, well, my whole damn leg, I came home and went to bed with ice. With Mom gone, there won't be much to keep me from taking care of myself now. Everyone else will just have to wait. Don't laugh, I mean it!

Cathie @marmora, I am glad to read that you are feeling better! Odd to think that "something is going around" on both sides on the pond, but that's what it sounds like! Just keep your fingers crossed that I get on the other side of this soon too.

I had really planned on writing more, but my internet is acting up this evening. This post has taken me over an hour and my patience is getting very thing! So, I will say goodnight to all for the evening.

Mary
 
Awww Mary, I'm so sorry! You'll have to do some searching to find your new normal. It's out there somewhere.
Whenever I read of someone like you that has a lot of lung problems I think how scary that must be. And then I thank my lucky stars that I don't and never have had despite being a smoker for 35 years. I quit 3 years ago, finally! It's nothing short of a miracle that I didn't kill my lungs. When my mom died of lung cancer that was it! My dad's brother had died a few years previously of lung cancer and my mom's sister who never smoked got lung cancer but thankfully they caught it very early and she was cured by having the lower lobe of one of her lungs removed. For years I was able to convince myself it was ok because no one in my family had gotten lung cancer and then within about 3 years, 3 of them did. I still worry some of course. I'll never be out of the woods but at least I'm not compounding the problem any longer. I know how you hate taking the steroids. I hate them too. Sometimes I wonder if the side effects are worth it but I guess they are. Fortunately, I've rarely had to take them. You be sure and get your rest and concentrate on you. Like you said, everyone else can wait. You need to get Mary better first. (((hugs)))
 
Mary @wolf woman

So sorry again for your loss of your mother and especially as being an only child.

You are remarkable to be so focused, with your energy levels low, due the loss of your mother, your bronchial issues & steroids and recovering from a TKR.

You are right to focus on your recovery and make yourself the priority !

Know that we will be here for you,
Cathie x
 
Hi @wolf woman

I thought I'd pop in and visit you. I'm glad you got the memorial date sorted for your mom on the 30th xxx

I'm sorry to hear that you and your husband are not well with bronchitis, that's areal miserable condition to have. It can leave you feeling so drained etc as you well know! I was very interested to read about the new test to measure inflammation in the lungs. How is that done? I have mild Bronchiectasis but I feel out of breath most of the time. I also hate taking steroids too but the thing is they work and do help. I despise the weight gain these cause xx

I have nodules on my lungs which they say look benign and are going to be scanning them annually, to ensure no further changes occur. I've never smoked but passively.

I wish you goodnight and pray that you get some sleep xxxx you're in my thoughts and prayers Mary. Take care with love from Nana moon 27 xox big hugs xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Nana moon 27 Hello Ann! Sorry it has taken so long to respond to your note. I am still very sick and tomorrow is the memorial for my Mom. It will not be a long service, the whole thing including reception will not be more than two hours.

I am wondering how you are getting along? Since I have not been on here for a bit, I will have to go read up on your thread. Sure hope you are doing well. The little problem we have in common (rageaholic) has been in full gear here for the last couple of days. Between sick, Mom dying, and that, I just haven't been up to being on here. Mary
 
@Nana moon 27 Forgot to tell you about the lung inflammation test. It's very much like spirometry, it also uses a computer program. There is a hand held gizmo, it takes two hands but is not heavy. They bring up the program on the computer screen, and you have to breathe in and out in order to keep the balloons hovering within the land and the sky. So, not too much air either way and it measures inflammation. I will look around and see if I can find the name of the thing. Hope that makes some sense! Mary
 
Hi Mary

It's understandable that you're going to go through the whole range of emotions. You have to do what us right for yourself. I/we are always here for you no matter what. Whether you want to rant, cry, yell, scream or just seek some comfort I'm here for you.

I will be thinking of you at your moms memorial tomorrow and pray that all goes okay.

[Bonesmart.org] 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days


I'm so sorry that you are not well still but I think that maybe the stress on top if your illness, accompanied by grief has not helped at all and it's understandable that this will take it's toll on your health xxx

Always in my thoughts Mary
Love Ann xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @wolfwoman, Mary,

That's the exact test I had at the chest clinic for my Asthma and Bronchiectasis. Even down to the balloons xxx that's reassuring xx thank you xxx
 
[Bonesmart.org] 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days I hope all went well at your moms memorial service. Please take care Mary. You know where to find me if you want to talk, cry, rant or reflect. Love Ann xxxx
 
Hello Mary @wolf woman

Thinking of you and know that this is a very sad and emotional time for you.
May the happy memories of your mother sustain you in this sad time.

With kindness & love,
Cathie x
 
@Nana moon 27 @gr82cu2 @marmora @tiredwife @yiayia3 @ljrfrm @Chihuahuan @dogwheels @madinana @Jane B. @jul @kneeper et al

Hello my wonderful BoneSmartie Buddies! Ya know, when I post a note to a list of folks, I am tempted to address it as "to all my BS friends". However, each time I catch myself and decide that's not a good idea!:heehee:

To bring everyone up to speed: I am getting better emotionally over my Mom. This was my last remaining family member with the exception of a few distant cousins that I would not know if I fell over them. It's a very different feeling. Mom's memorial service was absolutely beautiful and the church ladies provided a magnificent luncheon immediately after. Then, on Nov 2, All Souls Day, the church had a service for all congregants who passed within the last year. I went to that in 2013 for my Dad, this year for my Mom. It too was a beautiful service. Now all that is done, I will have a graveside service for both of my parents when the university has completed their studies with Mom's body and cremation is complete. They tell me two years. Ugh. All of the support, kind words and pictures from you guys have been wonderful. Thank you very much!

Now for the knee! My range has gotten a bit better, I don't know how much. Walking is improving, I take my cane when I leave home. but it stays in the car for the most part. Since I had been so sick and with Mom's death, I still have not been around the gym. I hope to do that tomorrow or Tuesday. I went to my family doc on Thursday for a few little issues, my left swollen ankle being one. He insisted on sending me to the hospital immediately for a doppler test. Well, dagnabit, I have a blood clot! (This has nothing to do with my swollen ankle.) They told me it was a small one near the surface, it's NOT a deep vein clot. So, sent me hope to put foot up when sitting and apply warm compresses. Doc talked to me on the phone after the test and said he would be in touch. It is my guess they will wait a little bit and repeat the study to be certain it hasn't moved to deeper area. @Josephine , have you any words of wisdom here? Has anyone else had this issue? I am not overly concerned. The worst part is not being able to sit. I have a new winter coat cut out and would like to finish it!

Now i need to make the rounds and check on you guys! I know Janet has had a new knee, and a few others have some things going on. Hope I can catch!

Love to all! Mary
 
Hello Mary

It's so lovely to hear from you. I'm so glad that the memorial service went well. I would be more than happy to be classed as a friend you know. We talk through a lot of the the things that friends would. It's just "virtual" friends as opposed to flesh and blood ones. You are undoubtedly amongst friends here, who love the person you are. Your messages of support off all prove it.

I'm really pleased to hear your ROM has improved. It just goes to prove that ROM can improve just by doing day by day activities.

I'm so sorry about the clot, what a pest! How long do you have to rest it for? I hope someone can give you an answer to your questions. I know there are people within this site who have had clots and things, so fingers crossed they will be able to help or give advice, or just listen.

I have to say fair play, to your moms request for giving medical science the chance to move forward, by donating her body. That's highly commendable, selfless and a very brave decision to come to. Wow! What a woman!

I bet you can't wait to get that coat all done. How frustrating it's sitting there ready. Let's hope you won't have to wait too long to do it.

Im so pleased your back in amongst us. We've missed you very much xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xoxox
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom