TKR 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
He told me to keep my leg elevated while I was sitting and to apply warm compresses. I assumed he meant moist heat, but the heating pad was the best I could do.
You mean you didn't see this in the Library? Night pain solutions using moist heat and clingfilm

Plus if your surgeon wasn't moved to suggested any anti-coagulants then they weren't necessary. And the warm compress was just to make you more comfortable, that's all. It will do nothing for the clot.

But in truth, this clot is probably no bigger than this 0 and hardly a life threatening issue. Thousands of people have such mini clots and do nothing about it. I've had one myself. Unlike the deep veins, these superficial vessels are a hardly a direct line to the heart and lungs anyway so the only real issue is the blood supply and health of the surrounding tissue which appears to be well past the critical stage. So please stop worrying about it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine. I did not see that in the library, again, thanks. There really is very little pain involved with this. In fact, if I had not pointed out the swollen ankle to my primary care, I would not have been sent for Doppler. The odd part is, that ankle has been swelling ever since I sprained it while playing war games with the Navy Seals at Ft Knox, quite a few years ago. I simply wanted his opinion of how to control the swelling. And now here we are. Wish they had never found this little clot. My knee surgeon doesn't know about all this. What would I do without you?

I see that you are a tad over a month from a second new knee yourself. Are you planning to go this one alone too? Sure hope there will be folks around to help you out. Tough gal or no, it's so much better when you have help. But,bayou already know that! I wish you super success with it!

Thanks, Mary
 
Thank you, Mary. That's very nice of you. As for going it alone - got no choice! Though I do have a spiffing neighbour who will no doubt fuss over me like a mother hen and I am employing a carer to come in for an hour or so every day for a couple of weeks. She will be around while I have a shower, do some light housework, washing up, etc. and maybe a wee bit of shopping. Anything I want, really. And I will have an emergency pendant with which I shall be able to call for help should the need arise. I had one last time but though I never used it, it was very reassuring knowing it was there!
 
@Nana moon 27 Oh Ann, thank you for asking! I am doing very well right now. My knee is finally deciding to get over the temper tantrums and work with me. I no longer use anything in the way of walker or cane. After a very long day of hard work, I did use my cane to walk around the grocery a couple nights ago. To tell the truth, I used it more to send a silent message to those around me. I think you know what I mean.

And, and, and, there is more good news! I had my seventh epidural on Friday the 5th. I has ugly pain for two days the a miraculous event took place on Monday.c I no longer feel like I am going to break in two! I wish I could show everyone here all the work that I have accomplished. It feels like I have regained control of my house, if that makes any sense.

I will write more later. For now I must close my eyes before my nose hits this iPad! Good nite! Mary
 
Mary, such great news at last!!! I'm so very happy for you that your knee is now cooperating and your back as well. Last year I had to have 5 nerve blocks in my cervical spine before getting relief so I totally know where you are coming from there. Behave and don't set yourself back!
 
Mary,
Great report, glad to hear you have turned the corner and are doing so much better. I know what you mean about your face hitting the iPad, I dropped my iTouch on my face one time. LOL.
 
Okay kids, it's been a bit since I have been on here with regularity. I signed on tonight and I have no alerts. I also have not been receiving email alerts. Soooo, just to say that I am here and have not forsaken all, and please help me figure out what I am not seeing you guys! Mary
 
Hi @wolf woman

It's lovely to hear from you. So many people leave once they feel well. A lot of us have been having problems with the alerts. I think it must be a labour of love x x x

Are you set for Christmas? If you celebrate it. Not everyone does xx I hope you're doing okay still Mary,

All my love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
How about an update on how you're doing, wolf woman? That's what we look for in your recovery thread.....a chance to know if things are going well and how your new knee is functioning.
 
@Jamie my post. 13 dec kinda sums up my current situation with my knee. It's been cold and rainy here, so the knee is not super happy. Since I am my hubby's legs right now, I am on my feet way more than I feel like I should be. So, stiffness and some pain are hanging round again. Plus I have forsaken the ice. The ankle that I injured a few years back was swelling a lot when I was icing a lot. Now that I am using a heating pad only, I have had no ankle swelling. Tis a shame because I think ice on the knee would at least feel good.

Also Jaimie, did I post something inapprriate? Your last post insinuated a reprimand. Thanks. Mary
 
Hi wolf woman! Congratulations on recent improvements. It sounds like you are really getting there! I have recently acquired (and fallen in love with!) a little electric heating pad. I still ice occasionally, but I've apparently reached a stage where heat helps more than ice.
 
Hi @wolf woman nice to hear from you and pleased your doing O.K I don't get many posts on my thread but then not on it much.
Hope you and hubby have a lovely Christmas.
:kittychris::window::reindeerlights:
 
@wolf woman There was a stage in my recovery when I was using a heating pad on the back of my knee while simultaneously using an iced gel pack on the top of my knee...strange sensation but it worked. Maybe you could do the same (heating pad for your ankle while icing your knee). Hope you are able to get some relief!
 
Hi @wolfwoman

I hope that up you had a good Christmas and wish you a better New Year this time!

How are you doing? X

Love Nana moon 27 x
 
@Nana moon 27 Hello Ann! I am doing okay, getting better all the time! In fact, my neighbor went with me to run some errands today and we ended up at JC Penney. We went to leave the second floor and I didn't think twice about jumping on the escalator. Halfway down I started to have a panic attack! LOL, I was wondering if I was going to be able to jump off in time without hurting myself. However, all went well. Still having some pain and discomfort, but better all the time. I am not on here much, it seems I don't know how to do this correctly and get fussed at all too often. So, I only pop in occasionally. Good to hear from you! Mary
 
Hi @wolfwoman

As long as we discuss our aches and pains and keep the chat brief like you just did in the one above we are fine.

That is useful explanation and warning about escalators. Like you I got on one without even thinking. I did one going uphill in a supermarket over Christmas and when I got to the top I stumbled, luckily hubby grabbed me by the seat of my pants, well the belt loops and lifted me up a touch so I could regain my balance on my sticks. I use the lift now, lesson learnt from that. I was in a panic before I'd got to the end because of the speed and the bump there.

My nasty annum horribilis got worse on December 26th with the unexpected death of my husbands brother, who I adored. I'd known him since I was 15. Trouble is funerals not until 20th Jan, due to a backlog over Christmas and New Year. Me and hubby still very emotional but at least, as bad as it sounds, it's brought a truce into the house and we've spoken more this last couple weeks than we have for months. I feel there's a void now. He was a happy, mischievous character and we only have good memories of him, he is missed. My kids and grandkids took the news very badly at first. They're coming through gradually. He was their favourite unclex x x

My TKR is improving but left is dreadful. I posted about it on my woohoo recovery thread x x x

Love Ann x x x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom