TKR 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
@wolf woman Good to hear from you. Sorry about the clot, I know I have run across a few people on here that had clots and a guy my husband works with has a clot that keeps his leg swollen. Hope yours resolves itself.
Keep us posted!
 
Hi Mary @wolf woman

The memorial service and the kindness shown by your church group will be one more loving memory to hold in your heart.

The days ahead will be a new road to travel for you and know that as you travel along you are also traveling in the hearts of many who know you and those of us who have gotten to know you through BoneSmart.

I have an extensive history of blood clots, left calf and lungs over the years.

Some have dissolved as they have been surface ones and some required hospitalisation and IV heparin.

I would have confidence that your doctor will monitor this surface clot.

Take care,
Cathie x
 
@marmora
Hello Cathie! Good to catch up with you a bit. I do have a couple questions about clots. It appears that the one I have is a surface clot but they want to be sure it doesn't dive into a deep vein. They also said it looked like it was 5 or 6 weeks old. Does that mean anything! Should it still dissolve on its own? Good grief, I do not want to be help hostage by the white coats! Please share some of your experiences with me.

I read in another post that you want to do the Camino de Santiago? When? Are you planning it alone? One of my best friends did it about two years ago and she really wants to go back. Do you know people that have done it? If not, I could probably hook you guys up to chat about it.

I think everything is going to be fine with your knee, just going to take time. We are rowing in the same boat. While I feel some improvement, there is one hell of a long way to go.

Oh, as for the church ladies that did Mom's memorial, they were from her church. I am Jewish, my Mom was Catholic. Go figure. But I sure was impressed with her church family. I may have to visit there again....stranger things have happened.

Off to do battle with the rack monster...I hope he wins quickly! Nite nite* Mary
 
Mary @wolf woman

Clots are very individual and your doctor will provide the correct treatment.
Did he advise taking an aspirin each day ? That, sometimes is the first treatment step.

My clots were deep in the veins and caused by a blood coagulation problem - sticky platelets.
Something that my father also had.

My first day post op I sent a text to all my women friends saying that in 2015 I wanted to walk The Camino and at the moment about 4 are fairly definite and the rest maybe/maybe.

It is very popular in Ireland and I have several friends who have done sections of the walk and every second year go back and do another section. It would take about 6-8 weeks to do the entire Camino.
Most people do the last 100 kilometres so that you get your certificate that you have done The Camino.
The 100 k could be done in about a week.

Being Spain, with heat & sun, Spring or Autumn would be the time and I thinking of September / October 2015.

If you can't be with my on The Camino you will be there with me in spirit.

Take care,
Cathie x
 
@marmora
Thanks Cathie for your response!

The doc did not say to take aspirin, but I started taking an 81mg daily when I got home from the test. I expect to hear something from my docs office today....hopefully.

My friend that did the Camino went alone to Spain and did the entire thing all at once. She was gone a couple of months. I think she was afraid she would not afford to go back, but she had talked about wanting to do it again ever since. We will see.

For some reason my iPad keeps locking up, I think it's my internet connection. So, I am signing off now to avoid more frustration!

Mary
 
Hi Mary,

Sorry I'm so tardy in checking up with you. This anemia I've developed is requiring lots and lots of sleep. I'll feel fine and within a minute I'm nodding off again for a couple of hours.

I agree with Nana Moon, your mom was very courageous and selfless to donate her body to science. God bless her. I think it takes a very special kind of person to do that but we all love to benefit from their sacrifice.

Church ladies are awesome aren't they? They just have a way of making your feel good and so welcome. Their cooking is usually above par too!

I'm glad your ROM seems to be increasing a little more but sad to hear about your clot. Just when we think we're on cruise control something comes along and applies the brakes on life. I hope you'll be able to get your winter coat finished before it gets too cold. It's supposed to be darn right cold later on this week here so it's probably much the same there.

Take care Mary! We ARE all your bonesmart friends :)
 
@Nana moon 27 @gr82cu2 @marmora @tiredwife @yiayia3 @ljrfrm @Chihuahuan @dogwheels @madinana @Jane B. @jul @kneeper et al

My goodness you guys! Things are totally out of control here. Wednesday evening my hubby Dan was working on a friends place and took a dive off of a scaffold. The good news is he landed on his feet. The bad news is he broke his heel. It's ugly. We don't know just how bad it is yet, we should know this Wednesday afternoon. I have watched this man fall from a second floor roof and have zero damage. He moves like a cat, knowing how to climb and how to fall. However, this is the fist fall he has taken at the age of 65!

My new knee is dealing with this fairly well. Considering I am now Dan's legs for everything except visits to the loo, I am pretty happy. By days end I am exhausted, but that's okay. A couple of the women that we have been in dog training class with for over three years brought us food over the weekend. They truly get that Mom passed away one month ago, my knee is not very old, I have a small blood clot, and my back is screwy. I cannot tell you guys how much it has meant to have food brought in! Plus we have our friend here that is trying to recover from a massive heart attack, so eating out is insanely expensive.

Lat night we had a snowfall of about an inch or two. Just enough to make walking out there pretty scary. Today when I went out to the car, I took the folding walker. There is no way I am going to chance falling on this knee!

Please you guys, drop me a note and let me know what is going on. My time is ultra limited. There is so much paperwork to do with insurances and doctors for Dan that by the time I get finished for the day I need to put my leg up. It's really kinda funny, he is on one side of the bed with his right leg in the air and I am on the other with my left leg in the air. How's that for a sharing couple?

Love you guys! Mary
 
Hi Mary


Lovely to hear from you. I'm so sorry to hear about Dans fall, I hope he, like you, will go on and recover well together. The image of you two in that bed, like a pair of book ends is delightful. A true matched pair!! No, I'm not taking the rise I'm trying to make you smile x

Mary, you're fortunate that you have good friends around you supporting you and how kind of you to have someone stay with you who's not well either.

That's scary about going out in the snow. I'm glad you're sensible about it. You have a wonderfully strong persona and I admire your inner strength.

It's lovely to hear from you. Please keep well and I extend my best wishes to you both xxx

Love Ann xx
 
@wolf woman Man, when it rains it pours! What a household! I am sending you all healing thoughts!
Steve is doing well, except for picking up a bug at work. Sore throat, etc. This is his 3rd week back to work.
 
Mary, I'm so sorry to hear about Dan. What can be done for a broken heel? I've heard of sympathy pain but he really didn't need to go that far did he? :)

I was just thinking of you earlier and wondering how you are getting along so I'm glad you updated but sorry about the bad news. You are truly blessed to have friends bringing in food and helping you out with meals. That saves you a lot of time on your feet. How much longer do you expect your friend to be with you?

You've been through so much lately Mary. Please take care :friends:
 
Nice to hear from you@wolf woman but sorry to hear about your hubby,it's good that you have such thoughtful friends near,must be a great comfort to you.Take care and try not to over do things x
 
@wolf women

Mary,

I had planned to post to you this morning and there was your post on my IPad when I came down to breakfast.
Didn't expected to hear about Dan and his accident and you also caring for a friend post- heart attack.

It's still early days for your recovery and the emotional recovery from your Mum's passing.

So glad that you sent the post and updated as to what is happening with you.

Will understand if there is not enough time for you to,post, but know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

This is a detour in your recovery, and hoping for a clearer road ahead for you.

Cathie
 
@tiredwife Thanks for asking how life in my zoo is going! We have an appointment for Dan with a surgeon on the other side of the county Monday morning at 8. Will need to be on the road waaaaay before breakfast to get through traffic. Then on Wednesday I have a follow up Doppler to check on the clot in my leg. Please wish us both luck and pray real hard that the clot took care of itself!

Hubby is trying to be a good boy and not drive me nuts. However, I have gone to bed twice tonight and keep getting back up to take care of stuff for him. Honestly, I don't mind, but I'm 5 months out with this new knee that still hurts and then there is the issue of heat and elevation for the clot.

For some reason I am not getting notices of post of folks that I follow. This happened before and I cannot remember how I fixed it. Any ideas? Mary
 
Hi Mary,

You and Dan will both be in my prayers. You've had a really rough time. I hope you get good news on the blood clot. A lot of us have been missing notifications the past few days I think. About the only thing you can do is find the threads and pay a little visit to get things going again. Good luck on Monday. I hate early appointments. I am not a morning person at all.
 
Hi Mary,

I'm still riding the roller coaster on knee #2. Friday it was KILLING me. Yesterday it felt pretty decent most of the day until evening and the pain started building. This morning I woke up hurting pretty bad. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? I will say though that having the right one done has all but made me forget about the left one, LOL!!
 
@wolf woman

Mary,

Hope that the Doppler Scan shows that the clot has resolved.
Take a few times to pull over and stretch your legs if you can on the journey to see Dans doctor on Monday.

If that's not possible try to get done walking in when you arrive and again before you drive back. Important to keep the circulation going.

Take care,
Cathie
 
Hi @wolfwoman we are all experiencing something or other with alerts!!! I hope Dan gets on okay with the doc. @marmora has given you some sensible advice there.

Oh I had to smile when you said about being anal with machinery because of your engineering background. Well I'm like that with my condensing tumble dryer. Every time before it is used, I make sure that the condensation tank that collects the water is empty, I remove the filters and clean them removing all the lint. I'm always scared that one day it might go up in flames with the heat and all that lint if it's not removed. At the risk of jinxing myself, I've had it ten years now with no problems whatsoever x x

Anyway I hope that all goes well tomorrow x x x x I will look out for an update if you're willing to share

Love Ann x x x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom