TKR 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mary @wolf woman

Glad that the hotel were finally able to provide a suitable room for you and your friend.
Not good on their part that the original room wasn't a true handicapp room.

Good lessons for others to check and check again when booking a room after a TKR and even then it still may not be suitable.

Hope that you enjoy your time in Indy and the the trip back is comfortable for you.

Take care,
Cathie
 
@gr82cu2 , @marmora , @tiredwife , et al
Hello gang! I an very happy to report that I am home with my very swollen knee, calf, ankle, and foot all elevated and with ice. This little trip was more than I should have taken on. My roomie is older and has had a hip replaced, so I end up with all the driving, loading, unloading, etc. We were at The Sheraton Keystone and I will say that once I convinced them we had an issue, they jumped and took great care of getting us settled.

Last night at the formal banquet I had to leave before I was finished eating. I had been either walking or sitting all day, I knew it was time to point my toes toward the sky with ice. My roomie stayed behind and brought my dessert to me in our room. By the time I settled in, I knew I was going to be in trouble today when I had to drive home. However, I am here now and resting, that is what matters.

Oh, @tiredwife , the walker would fold but it wouldn't work out to unfold in in that tiny bathroom. It was ugly. But you should have seen the handicapped bathroom we ended up with! Wow, what a treat!

@marmora. That is correct! Double and triple check to be certain you are getting a handicapped room! One thing I told the guy at the front desk on Friday...If the room doesn't have a 17 inch toilet in it, it's not a handicapped room and I won't take it!

All in all, we had a good time. We got to see friends from all over North America that we see only once or twice a year and really enjoyed all the units performing. Hopefully I wont have any more issues on our next adventure!

Nite nite all, it's been a long weekend! Mary
 
Hi Mary @wolf woman ,

As I write this at 9am in Dublin, I hope in Louisville that you are sleeping comfortably :chillpill: and :ice:.

Sounds like a good trip meeting up with friends, but now the knee will need all your attention for the week.
And with rest, icing and just taking it easy, you should be better in a few days.

Sometimes, we do special things, knowing the outcome may add some discomfort - but, that is part of life.

Glad that you are home and it may be a few days till you have the energy to post again.

Take care,
Cathie
 
@tiredwife , @marmora , @gr82cu2 , @Nana moon 27 , et al

Here's hoping Nana Moom 27 is getting along well and on her way home. I tried to ascertain from her recent posts if she was being discharged, but I am uncertain. If anyone has an update, please pass it on to me.

Today I went to PT. I have one more visit, then insurance says no more. It was a frustrating day after all the weekend stuff. I did light exercising and she measured my ROM. That was a mistake. I was at 105/2. Ugh. 115 two weeks ago. Amazing how swelling and irritation can cause a backslide. Immediately after PT, I went to nursing home, took my Mom some Mac & cheese to add to her lunch. She loved it. Then I walked to another hallway at the same facility where an old friend of mine is in rehab. It's uncertain if he will make it out or not. Pretty sad.

So, home again, closing my eyes as I walk past all the mess and dirt in my house and headed for my bed with ice. Here I will stay for as long as I can. Let's hope hubby can manage to feed himself this evening.
 
Hi Mary @wolf woman

This time last week you were in Indy - what a long week since then !
Hopefully, you are well rested and recovered now.

Thank you for your very supportive posts on my forum, it was lovely to see your concern.

Take care,
Cathie
 
Good Morning Mary @wolf woman

Just dropping in to your thread to say "Hello" and wishing you a comfortable day and week.

Take care,
Cathie
 
@marmora @gr82cu2 @Nana moon 27 @tiredwife et al

My dear sisters in recovery,

I have not been on here for so long, it feels like part of my family is missing! Seems I am still dealing with upper respiratory issues that are really getting old. Fatigue from all of it has set in along with fatigue from being four months out of this surgery. It's a long story that I won't bore you guys with details, but suffice to say that we have a houseguest in recovery from massive heart attack and another friend who is out of work. I have been cooking, cleaning up after, and doing laundry for three out of four plus Mom. Tired seems an understatement. Mom saw my smiling face today for the first time in six days. Staying away from frail old folks with a possible lingering lung infection seemed the prudent thing to do. She is really in decline. I don't want to lose my Mom but I hate to see her suffer so.

Now for the better part. Yesterday was my last day at PT. I managed quite a few steps, both up and down. Since I have been sick, it had been a week since going to the gym to work or get in the therapy pool. In spite of the time lapse, with quite a bit of effort, we got my flex to 120! As soon as it started to be a bit painful, we stopped. It does give me more hope that it will continue to improve.

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I struggle through this respiratory issue. Having lost part of a lung in 2002, getting over these things takes me a long time. Gosh, I guess it's kinda like having a TKR! lOL, it's not that bad, but feels like I have been fighting it forever.

Now I am going to go catch up on your threads and hope that I read only positive things!

Mary
 
Mary @wolf woman

I had been wondering why you hadn't been posting, so reading your update explains the reason.

Four months post TKR, your bronchial issues, caring for others and being there for your dear mother have been taking all your energy. My thoughts are for you and all that you are doing to help others, even though you are alsoin need of care and rest yourself.

Congratulations to flex of 120 - what a great achievement ! :yay:

You will be in my heart and thoughts and prayers and even it if it's awhile before you have the time & energy to post, know that you are always thought of with warmth and kindness,

Take care my BoneSmart Sister,
Cathie
 
[Bonesmart.org] 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days
@wolf woman, you are a wonder. I don't know how you've managed all this while trying to recover. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and sending all the healing vibes I can muster.

Please take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days
 
@wolf woman Boy you are sure going through a rough time! It is very hard to watch those you love suffer. I don't know how you are doing all you are. Please take some time to rest and build up your strength. Sounds like you are doing fine with your ROM. It will continue to improve. Take care of you!
 
Mary, I'm sad to hear you still aren't feeling well. You are a saint to put everyone else before yourself while trying to recover from your TKR and respiratory infection. You must be really exhausted. Your 120 flexion is fantastic news and must be so uplifting for you after all this time. Jackie is right, it should improve even more. I'm sorry about your mom and I know exactly how you feel. My mom had pretty bad dementia but it was the lung cancer that got her. The only way I was able to cope with the loss and grief was to be grateful that she had lived a good life and her passing was a blessing for her. She didn't have to suffer in pain and confusion any longer. Spend whatever time you are able to with your mom and cherish every moment which I know you do. xox
 
To anyone who is willing to respond,

I am having a major setback with this knee. In the back of my knee, toward the inside, I have terrible pain and weakness. I had to go out shopping for food and two other stops today. My first stop was the grocery where I rode a cart around to shop. When I returned home, I didn't think I would make it back in the door. For my next two stops, a friend went along as I feared i would get in trouble going alone.

The knee is still warm, but not more so that it has been in the past. This afternoon, I have been elevated with ice off and on, more on than off. This is scary. It is my hope that I have just done too much, but haven't felt Iike it's been too much. Also I should mention that I had to start prednisone yesterday for the respiratory issues. I cannot imagine that one day of steroids would do this.

Any and all ideas will be welcomed! Sure hope I am just being paranoid.

Mary
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom