TKR 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Nana moon 27 Sure glad I can be a source of entertainment! I will be here all week!

To keep you posted, we saw the surgeon yesterday. Dan does not need surgery! He has to stay off the foot for eight weeks! Oh my goodness, it's gonna be a loooooong holiday season. Tomorrow is follow up Doppler for blood clot. Please keep your fingers crossed! Will do my best to check in tomorrow with a report. Super nuts busy around here, my computer time is very limited.

Mary
 
@wolf woman

Hello Mary,

Good news that Dan can avoid surgery, but it will be a long 8 weeks for the two of you while he is off his foot. Can he use crutches to get around while keeping the weight off the injured foot ?

Wishing you good results from your Doppler exam today, please do let me know - even if it's just a short post like, "all good" - as I know you are very busy.

Hope that you can take a breath on Thursday and have time to enjoy Thanksgiving .

Wishing you and Dan a very Happy Thanksgiving,
Cathie
 
@wolf woman Very good that Dan doesn't have to have surgery. Still praying your clot goes away. I will be camping for a few days and won't have WIFI so I will check back when I get home. Have a great Thanksgiving.

[Bonesmart.org] 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 9½ weeks means something totally different to me these days
    upload_2014-11-26_9-37-57.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 167
That's great news, no surgery! But 8 weeks is a really long time. Men aren't good patients. I wish you luck! xox
 
@Pumpkln Betweem your comment about long county drives and your shirt in the pic, I am curious. Do you live in Nevada?

Had Doppler follow up this morning. I'm really bummed. Blood clot still there. Tech said my doc would have the report around Monday. Guess they are not worried, but personally I want it GONE! I started baby aspirin the very day they found it. Not sure what to do next. I want to be working on it while I am waiting. Should I discuss this's with Josephine? Comments, ideas, suggestions all welcome.

Maybe I should dig a fire pit out back, load it with wood, then dance around a fire? I am so out of my element here! Mary
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck Mary. It's so nice to hear from you x it's good news that Dan doesn't have to undergo surgery but 8 weeks resting, oh dear!!!

I'm sorry to hear about the blood clot. I can understand your concern x x x you could try Josephine

I'm so sorry about your health x

Love Ann xox
 
@wolf woman Sorry the clot is still there, a guy hubby works with had clean out surgery on his knee and got a clot. 2 years later he still had the clot and he had TKR on the same knee. I guess some clots the docs don't worry about as much. I'm like you, I would want it out!
 
Hi Mary,

Happy Thanksgiving! I have no advice for you on the blood clot. I've never had one and honestly don't know a thing about how they are dealt with. I would imagine you need to keep on doing whatever you have been doing until you hear from your doctor on Monday. Hopefully Josephine will be along with some guidance. xox
 
When you have a DVT and a clot develops (deep vein thrombosis) the clot will eventually be dissipated by your body's natural defences. Obviously there is enough blood getting past it to keep your leg in good order so don't worry about it.
 
@Josephine
Thank you so much for your response! This is not a DVT, it's superficial, so that must be even less to worry about, eh? Nothing can be seen, but I feel a bit of discomfort in that area. You always put my mind at ease. I should have asked you on the first day it was discovered. Think it will be okay to fly soon?

Again, thanks! Mary
 
If it's superficial, absolutely! Venous thrombosis in superficial vessel is terribly common and most people don't even know it's happened.

As for the flying, how soon is 'soon'?
 
@Josephine
This clot was first found on 6 nNovember. The tech said is was about 5 weeks old. How could she tell? Then a follow up Doppler on 26 November and the tech said it was still there. I was wanting to go to Colorado as soon as it was safe to fly or after the holidays. I started taking 81 mg aspirin the day it was first found and stopped using ice on my knee, instead I use a heat pad at night below the knee where they tell me the clot is. No one is telling me anything. I'm just trying to exercise some common sense. Hard to do when you are ignorant of the subject. Any more words of wisdom? Thanks! Mary
 
The tech said is was about 5 weeks old. How could she tell?
Experience, I expect.
Then a follow up Doppler on 26 November and the tech said it was still there.
Of course it will be. It doesn't go away in three weeks! It will quite probably stay there for months. Clots invariably get old and calcified and stay there for ages. But the issue here would be is still it likely to throw off embolii? My guess is that it is not. But the technician is not the person to be asking about it. In my country, technicians are not allowed to opine on a scan or test - that's the doctor's job. Personally, I'd stick with the aspirin and go anyway. After all, Kentucky to Colorado is not exactly long haul, is it? Barely 3 hours from what I recall.
stopped using ice on my knee, instead I use a heat pad
Is there some benefit in that? I'm not saying there isn't, just puzzled because I've never heard of it before.
 
@Josephine. Once again, thanks for sharing your wisdom. As for the tech giving me info, the protocol here is the retain the patient and contact the ordering physician for further instruction if a clot is discovered. They probably figured I would not be pleased if I were retained without knowing why. They got my doc on the phone, handed it to me and we talked. He told me to keep my leg elevated while I was sitting and to apply warm compresses. I assumed he meant moist heat, but the heating pad was the best I could do. With hubby being injured and my being his legs, I don't have much time. So, dry heat will have to do.

I started the aspirin on my own, it just made sense to me. However, I have to stop taking it for a week, as I have an epidural scheduled for Friday. If you can think of something else that might be of benefit, please let me know! Thanks again! Mary
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom