TKR 8 Month Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am now 4 evenings into my new regimen of meloxicam 7.5 mg and "1,000 straiIht leg raises/day", an instruction I have chosen to interpret as "as many as I can reasonably accomplish". I do frequent sets of 25. :heehee: Also, I'm deliberately stepping up & down stairs and curbs as often as possible for that bend, flexing with 10# weights, and stretching with a strap. This was incrEDDDibly painful at first, but it's much easier now. Swelling is less, and the pesky 10° extension lag is nearly gone. What was holding me back? Misinformation, fear, pain, scar tissue, edema.

OS also suggests squats, but I don't think my failing right knee will allow it.
 
Really great news, good to hear you are feeling better and I hope you are happy with how things are going. You are on a tough road and I admire your perseverance. I also stretch with a strap and use weights on wall heel slides and leg raises. It is uncomfortable to painful, but it has helped. Trying to find that fine line between pain and progress is not easy. And, you put work on top of that and it makes for a difficult time. I hope all goes well.
 
Glad to hear that you can see and feel an improvement. Know what you mean about the squats - my other knee really hates them so don't do them. The straight leg raises also help a lot. In another couple off weeks I'm going to start step ups with weights at the gym - not quite there yet. The step ups are ok on their own.
 
Another one for the quads. Stand on a step facing sideways, one foot on the step one off. With the leg on the step slightly bent , lower the other leg to the floor, repeat ten times and change legs and repeat. Hold on to something if you need to. If you've not done it before take it slowly. I can only do 5 of these on my new knee so far. I think it probably puts a lot of strain on the joint but it does wonders for the quads!
 
Yikes - I feel for you, Clipless! I'm planning to go back to work first week of April, which will put me at about 10 weeks post-op. I'm nervous about it but I'm almost out of sick leave and can't afford to stay out too much longer. Luckily, I sit MOST of the time, but I do have to do some walking around and my commute is a bear: on and off trains and buses and, nearly 2 hours door to door. Sigh.
 
@Clipless instead of the 1000 leg raises suggested by your surgeon you could do 500 with an ankle weight! LOL Seriously, I have 1.5-pound strap-on weights and my self-directed rehab sessions go a lot faster than with no resistance. (no, I don't get to 500, or even 100.) PT added weights of no more than 2 pounds and that was when I was around 3 months into recovery.
 
Thanks, yes @pinot I started using ankle weights on Saturday. I agree it really helps! Yesterday I started using the leg press machine at Gold's Gym at only 10# weight. This is ridiculously light, of course, but previously I couldn't bend my knee enough to put my foot on the plate. Anyway, leg presses felt wonderful and I was careful not to over-do. Then I went up & down the gym's giant staircase. Then off to work another 12 hr shift. Fingers crossed I think I've finally turned a corner. Meloxicam is like a miracle drug for me.
 
Really good news that you are feeling you've turned a corner. I think the strength exercises are good once the initial phase of healing has passed. I'm now also doing weights at the gym on the leg press now up to 17.5kg but it's taken me 6 weeks , hamstring curl etc and it's helping to build up strength again although I'm nowhere near back to where I was before the surgery in terms of weights. I am intrigued by the giant staircase - what is it?
 
.... I am intrigued by the giant staircase - what is it?

Ha ha, sorry I didn't describe that well- my gym is two stories high with two large open staircases leading up to (and down from) the upper level fitness areas. I don't have stairs in my house, therefore it is nice to be able to practice on the gym staircase. Last week my OS emphasized the importance of stairs!
 
Hi Clipless - does your gym have a TRX system? It's not much to look at, just some straps with handles hanging from something over your head. I have been using them at PT and at home to do assisted squats, you can even do one legged squats! Its not as hard as it sounds, promise! Something to try if you happen to have them.

I thought of you this weekend - I got my first pedicure and as the woman was using the pumus stone on the bottom of my foot near the toes my quad went bizerk! I actually had to hold my leg above the knee so I wouldn't kick her!! Slightly unorthodox way to wake up a quad but who knows, it might just work :)
 
OS also suggests squats, but I don't think my failing right knee will allow it.

Ooh, my left knee just had a flashback to the grinding and creaking of attempted squats while the right knee was recuperating from the tkr. Not to mention during daily activity. Shudder. I had to tell it "you're ok now, you're bionic, remember?" :heehee:
 
@Clipless so glad the meloxicam seems to be helping and you feel that you are turning a corner. I have tried mini squats but my cranky left knee can't handle them. Do what you can and it will continue to improve.
 
Just finished two back-to-back 12hr shifts. My knee swelled and stiffened some, but not as badly as last week. I've discovered that it helps to go up & down the stairs whenever possible instead of using the elevator. Loosens the knee. My hospital is eight stories tall, but for now my assignments only involve the lower two floors.

I wonder how long I'll need to take meloxicam? So far so good- no side effects, just blessed relief.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Also sounds like stamina is returning which helps loads

Legin THR Sep 14
 
That's really good to hear that things are improving for you. Your knees are obviously getting used to the new work/ rest regime but I expect it will take time. It's dull but you are now again going forward.
Take care xxx
 
I'm glad this week was better than last. It may take a while but over the next month or two I'd think you'd be getting more back to normal. Just give the knee a break when you can since you're working those long shifts.
 
Hi Josephine! Thank you for stopping by. I hope you are feeling great! Yes, I personally know someone who had an amazingly easy recovery from TKR, and it's a nice thing to hear, unfortunately I have not shared that experience. I quit PT and minimized straight leg raises to zero/zilch/nada back in January because I blamed that specific exercise for exacerbating my pain and swelling, and PT validated me by saying, "yes, just rest it." So I started back to work on a non-functional quad and a painful swollen knee, and it was all downhill from there, until my surgeon squeezed in desperate me and prescribed meloxicam and exercises. Really, four months of sleepy quad was enough.

Also, I mistakenly assumed that I wouldn't be able to tolerate any type of NSAID. Years ago I had a bad reaction to Ibuprofen and was told I could never take another NSAID. This was incorrect, as I am fine with meloxicam so far.. knock on wood!

I still have a small, firm bulge on the lateral side of my knee right beside the kneecap, but the major swelling is gone. I can go up stairs without hauling myself, and down a little carefully but hands-free. I feel my quad working, hallelujah! I guess I'll be slow to gain additional ROM, but I'm optimistic.

Today was supposed to be a biking day, but it didn't work out. My son the runner needed new racing spikes, then the day got away from me.
 
That is great you are moving so well now. I am planning on starting up on ibuprofen as my swelling still sucks. I am beginning to hate pt as they berate me for eating salt which is the bane of my existence these days. I have been stuck at 110-115 for a couple of weeks but am feeling slot stronger. Here are not stairs in my home or gym so I have to actively go find some. Happy St. Patrick's day. Wearing green is always cheerful
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom