TKR 8 Month Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, vegging sounds more important right now. :)
 
@Clipless so sorry you had such a horrible first night back at work. Glad your supervisor was back and second night a little easier. It took me a few days to get used to being back at work and I have a desk job. I am sure your knee is feeling the strain. Your ROM will get better as it gets used to the new activity. Happy you have the weekend off. Take care and feel better.
 
@Minnie's knees Hi Kathy, I'm at our hotel now and walking like an old, old woman. My knee is super-stiff, ROM way way down. I'd be scared, but your reassurances make me feel better. Thank you so much! I brought swim gear for the pool & jacuzzi. After I drop my boy at his race venue in the morning I'll come back here and be a lazy bum.
 
Oh @Clipless! So sorry to hear about your difficult nightmare shift at work. I'm petrified of going back for the same reasons as we have to be cleared by the surgeon and able to be fully functional to return. This recovery is so unpredictable, sometime I'm functional, most time I feel like


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm carrying a cement pole around. At present I can't imagine standing on my feet for a full shift. Hoping your weekend is relaxing and your next shift bearable (oops sorry I pressed return mid sentence)!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Clipless hope you are having a nice time at the hotel. Enjoy the pool, gentle stretches to keep knee moving, pamper yourself and relax.
 
My son placed 10th in his mountain bike race yesterday... not a podium win, but 10th out of 90 riders! I'm so proud of him, and his coach was literally jumping for joy. It was blustery, cold, raining, and the kids had a fantastic time.

My leg, hip, and back killed me the entire weekend- sharp pains, dull aches, and fun "electric shock" zingers at my incision. The swelling has started to ease up, and I can once again pedal my spin bike, however I dread *literally dread* going to work tonight. One of my co-workers who measures his steps with a fitness tracker says he walks an average of 5-8 miles/shift at the hospital. That sounds about right. It's way too much for me right now, but I don't have much choice.... unless one considers "unemployment" a choice. :sigh:

Is swelling, aching, and stiffness with prolonged standing and walking typical at my stage of recovery?
 
Ouch those zingers are nasty! I remember those. I hope things start looking up at work and you get some time to rest your knee. You are between a rock and a hard place at the moment.
Well done to your son on his performance yesterday !
 
Just finished two shifts in a row. The first wasn't too bad, but Last night was worse I guess because I was on my feet a lot- first my knee got stiff, then the rest of me. Not as painful as last week, thank goodness.

I got to work with my RN friend who had LTKR f/b MUA in 2014, same surgeon, everything. It was fun comparing notes.

Now I've got three whole days off, and a pure ton of errands to run- but none today. :)
 
Hi anyone who's interested, especially if you're well beyond early recovery and still have swelling.
I am in my 3rd week back at work at a job that includes long hours and lots of standing and walking. I grew concerned recently about the gross swelling that happens every shift I work. As a consequence of swelling: loss of ROM, hip pain, and lower back pain/spasms. I work two nights back to back, followed by two to three nights off. Since it takes about 3 days for my knee to settle down after work, I feel like I'm starting over every week trying to get my ROM back. That's the pattern so far.

Concerned, I saw my surgeon today. Xrays were done and the implant is fine. I needed reassurance and got it- he seemed to understand what I'm going through and said the swelling could continue for a year... A FULL YEAR! I'm an unlucky person who can't tolerate most NSAID's due to a cross-reaction allergy, but we decided Meloxicam should be safe enough to try. I just took my first dose... fingers crossed!

Other instructions: ice after work (geez I already do), build my sleepy quad, and do more straight leg lifts- not 20, not 100, but "a thousand times a day"!

My ROM is stalled at 0/110°. OS would not commit to saying it will improve for sure, only that any improvement from now on will be very gradual. He explained the stretches I should be doing- I am but have been slacking off lately due to swelling, stress, and discomfort. He mentioned MUA (I didn't ask), only to say that in my case the risks outweigh any possible benefits.

So I am within the range of a normal -albeit slow- recovery. I don't expect to feel better instantly. Knowing that nothing's wrong is a good thing. I will work harder at my exercises and try not to let the bad days get me down. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Clipless what dreadful luck! So sorry to hear about your problems since your return to work.at least you know that mechanically the knee is fine but the swelling is a real bummer. It's hardly surprising that your ROM is stuck with such bad swelling.
Hope you get some improvement in the swelling soon. Your patience is being sorely tested.
 
@Clipless, I know exactly how you feel! The swelling is depressing to look at and it lowers the ROM. So if you get the swelling down you might find out what your real ROM is. How are you doing with the Meloxicam? Are you wearing support stockings at work?

Like you, the PA and PT are just starting to tell me to wait a YEAR for recovery.

Like you, they attribute some of my symptoms to weak quads. But exercise, as well as standing, does increase pain and swelling. I have been instructed to find a balance between quad strengthening and rest. If you find that sweet spot let us know!

Do you think it's OK to have teeth cleaned or other dental work done with an inflamed knee? Joint replacement patients are supposed to take an antibiotic prior to visiting the dentist. But I worry that a swollen knee could be more at risk for infection. I ask that question because at 4 months I don't see any change in my knee coming soon and it might be time to plan for a "new normal".
 
@Clipless very glad the OS reassured you that everything is okay with the implant. :fingersx: for the meloxicam. Patience is the key. You have a demanding job and are on your feet several hours a day. You are awesome to be able to do this. I don't think I could do it. I have a desk job and it was tough for a few weeks. It will get better! Take good care of yourself.
 
@pinot , call and ask your OS about antibiotics and dental work. Knock on wood I'm not due for anything dental, but I have notoriously weak teeth. Is a swollen knee more prone to infection? Great question. I'm not sure!

I am indeed wearing thigh-length support hose at work. They have pretty lace tops and are not too awful. I skipped one night wearing them and was Miserable!

My OS said strengthening my quads will reduce the swelling. I think strong leg muscles, esp. calves and quads, act as an auxiliary pump to push excess fluid back toward the heart. I could be wrong about how that works. I am almost 3 hours into a 12 hr shift with meloxicam.... so far so good. No side effects yet. The pharmacist suggested 5 days use, then as needed. I hope it helps.

SuperSnapper & Minnie's knees, thanks for keeping track of me and encouraging. You're both so sweet!
 
So sorry to hear you have to work so much no wonder your knee is blowing up. Bless you I feel for you. I am so fortunate to be retired and my husband just retired this week so now he helps around the house. That's been great however he wants me to go to Home Depot everyday and all the hardware stores there are and at the end of the day my knee is burning up and swollen twice it's size! I just had my last PT yesterday and made it to 0/118! As big as my knee was I can't believe it was possible to bend that far however my PT said I need to stop running around so much and rest elevate/ice! Lucky for me I can do that not so much for you however. There again it still takes so much more time to heal that you really want to admit. I hope the new medicine will help your pain. I have not heard of that one. Bless your heart.
 
I think the quad strengthening is a bit of a catch 22. If you overdo the exercise you'll get more swelling, it would seem. But yes, as I learned belatedly as my knees deteriorated, stronger quads do take strain off the joint.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom