TKR 8 Month Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
@50something, PT shouldn't berate you for anything, because really what do they know?. I was having lower leg/ankle edema a few years back and went low-sodium to no avail. It turned out I had a thyroid problem! Resolved that and my ankle edema went away. It's true, though, that we Americans consume too much sodium overall.

Yesterday was my day off so I skipped the meloxicam to see what would happen. Overnight my lower back pain returned, plus that sore, restless leg feeling. So I still need the med, and presumably will for a long time. I think I have arthritis in my back.
:gaah:

To put your surgery date in your signature, click on your "name" on the top right of this forum. A drop-down menu will appear. Select option "Signature", type whatever you want in the box (your surgery date, for example) and save it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If they use the mobile version tapatalk its diff to do sig on your profile page

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi friends! I am now 5 months post op from my LTKR and feeling much better- finally! After a number of un-fun set-backs I am hitting the gym fairly regularly, climbing stairs hands-free, descending a little more carefully, and riding my bikes (yay!). I can even trot/jog a little ways without limping. Credit where credit is due: Meloxicam. Meloxicam is the light of my life right
now.

Today I did my first real mountain bike ride. This "trail" is actually a chewed up, bumpy old dirt road partially reclaimed by nature- babbling brook, hills, wildlife, and all that. As this was the last trail I rode before surgery, I decided it would be a fitting site for my triumphant return to mountain biking. I have been on flat roads and paved paths for a while, but mountain biking requires a different set of skills, plus more flexibility, quick movements, and stamina (at least for me). Anyway, I did fine. I even climbed the steep nasty hill at the very end without stopping. My lungs were burning, but not my knee. Alas, I am out of shape.

Yesterday my teenage son and I were walking back to the car from the hardware store. He suddenly seemed surprised to see me keeping step right beside him. He said, "Hey, look at YOU, keeping up and everything!" He's almost 6'5", long legs, and I kept up. Hee hee, life is good!

On the downside I still get some random IT band pain and my bend could be better, but I'll take this over how I felt just a few weeks ago.

I hope everyone is having a pleasant, pain-free evening!
 
Whooooooot whoooooot truly outstanding. Hey stamina takes a while to come back but me thinks, aye I do sometimes, this won't be too long for you nice one

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Awesome!! Back on 2 wheels. Just stick to those low ring gears and you'll be fine. I was working into some low-cadence/high torque intervals on the mtn bike and started to notice some IT band issues as well.
Way to go clipless!
 
So awesome to read! You give me hope. I sooooo want to get on my bike and tool around my local flat area. PT still discourages it. I have cut PT to once a week as I feel I am making some good progress at home, but that progress does come with some rough days afterward. I cannot go to PT all swollen and sore! I have begun ibuprofen and do find I do not need much pain med. one pill yesterday! Today I tried the Arc Trainer at the gym (another thing PT says I am not ready for) I went super slow and easy for only 5 min. It could feel a different muscle group working. Thanks for the awesome update! Have a great week. We are headed to LA for spring break and my goal is the tide pools in Palos Verdes. I have three weeks to maybe be ready.
 
Outstanding report. So glad you are feeling better. I know it feels good to get back to a relative normal. Especially as some of us wondered when and if it would happen. I am so happy for you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone! I don't see the "thread tools" option to change my title. Where did it go?? Oh well, I have a question regarding airline security- hoping someone will chime in about airlines these days and "mobility aids" like walking sticks, specifically a collapsible trekking pole that doesn't collapse quite small enough to fit in my carry-on.

Next month I am flying to the American Southwest for a week of hiking and exploring. Though I walk well unaided most of the time, I need a trekking pole for balance on steep, rocky terrain. Mine has a rubber crutch tip but otherwise looks more like a ski pole than a cane. I know my pole can travel in checked luggage, but I am packing lite therefore not planning to check a bag this time.

What do you guys think? I worry about being rejected at check-in and having to discard my beloved trekking pole at the airport. I could bring my regular cane instead, but not sure how helpful it will be on hikes. Other options: I could purchase a hiking pole at our destination and mail it home before I leave, or go old-school and hunt for a natural walking stick along the trail.

Any thoughts??
 
Sounds like a great trip, can't wait to hear about it!! But you can't take the poles - TSA blog says

Trekking & Hiking Poles – These can only be packed in checked baggage.

I'd be hesitant to count on finding a walking stick that will be sturdy enough to feel safe - I'd either go ahead and check the bag or buy the extra set and send them home.
 
@Clipless Lovely to hear from you and really excellent to see that you are feeling so much better. It's been a long road for you but to be back on the bike properly is a great achievement. Well done.
But whatever you decide re trekking poles, please use them. They will make you feel so much more stable and cut the risk of falls and sprains.
Have a good time.
 
Thanks for your advice, Teresa and SuperSnapper. I have decided to check a duffle bag so I can bring my trekking poles to Sedona. I will put those poles to good use!
[Bonesmart.org] 8 Month Update
 
[Bonesmart.org] 8 Month Update [Bonesmart.org] 8 Month Update [Bonesmart.org] 8 Month Update [Bonesmart.org] 8 Month Update 6.5 month update: just home from a mother-daughter trip to Northern Arizona. We had a Fantastic time! My knee had been cranky for at least a week prior to vacation and remained swollen and achy for the first two days, then felt better. I did steep off-camber hikes, stairs, rocks, horses, jeeps, and all was good. I used a single trekking pole at first, then forgot about it and was fine. I still have trouble sitting down on the ground and getting up again, etc. and needed wrangler assistance at one point. That was a bit embarrassing, but everyone was sooo nice! In pics I am the crazy redhead.

p.s. It is very encouraging to read TKR updates from one, two, even three years post op. Thank you and please keep posting your progress reports!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Clipless You look great! I'm so happy to read your report and hear your knee behaved well. That's brilliant!

I still have a bit of a problem getting up too but hey, it's a small thing.
 
Wonderful Pictures! I am glad that you had an equally wonderful time!

Getting up and down from the ground is not a big issue at all---that is one of the last things to fall into place and the last things to figure out, as many of us rarely do it!

It is great to read that your new knee allowed you to enjoy the Mother/Daughter trip!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom