Guest viewing is limited

TKR 8 Month Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Clipless
That does sound like a pretty energetic few hours and the knee held up!
It's amazing how quickly fitness and stamina goes after a few weeks of inactivity. We're all in the same boat, I certainly am. :hairpulling:
 
@Clipless I, too, am so out of shape! Many surgeries over the last few years have really wreaked havoc on my strength and stamina. I have two more surgeries coming up and then I hope they're done and I can have my life back. I want to be as strong as I was in my early 40's.
 
That was very nice of you to volunteer but was a little too much on your poor body

Went to PT yesterday and got up yo 114!!! Getting there. Still painful getting that bend! I live in a Phoenix . Sedona is about two hours from us. Would be nice to meet you if we can arrange it when you come out
 
@numbzee we'll spend our first night (Friday, May 1st) in North Phoenix before moving on in the a.m., so this could work! I'll be in touch before then.
 
@Clipless just stopping by to say hi and check on you. I am not getting my alerts again. Sounds like you had a good day volunteering. The energy drain and getting back to normal activities has been the worst for me.
 
@Minnie's knees , Hi! Well, I am doing okay I guess. How are you? I will hop back on your thread later and look for updates. Last evening I renewed my CPR- just one of the endless mandatory work-related re-certifications. I've already renewed my CPR at least 50 times. :old:

My middle child, my 20 yr old son, is moving away to Illinois in a couple of days and I'm feeling pretty emotional about it. We went out for a nice dinner tonight. I have one boy still at home, but within a few short years they will all be off leading their adult lives and I'll be alone here. Time flies. :(

Someone gave me an Ancestry.com gift membership and I've been busy researching our family tree. When I'm finished I will print everything nicely & give a copy to each of my children. I never thought I would find much, but now I'm hooked: there are Civil War casualties, Revolutionary War soldiers, pilgrims, Native Americans, Huguenots, pirates, illiterates, aristocrats, farmers, laborers, indentured servants. Wow!

I did a flat 14 mile bike ride on Sunday and now my knee is acting up again; it's stiff and swollen, though not as bad as last time. I'll be back to work in exactly one week. I think I'm ready but we'll see how it goes. I wish I was healing faster. I'm okay with how things are as long as my outcome will eventually be good. If it stays like this I will be PO'd! Today I removed the support arms from my toilet, saving them for next surgery. Any progress is good.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Clipless Thought I would visit your thread as hadn't seen any updates for a while.
I'm glad you are progressing. Well done on the bike ride. 14 Miles is pretty good. Good luck with your return to work next week. I guess that will be pretty daunting at first, it always is after a while away, but hope you are ok.

Remembering what I felt like when all mine left home. It's an awkward time when each one goes and your role changes with each change. But they'll still come home and the times we have with our grown up ones and their families are great.

I am very envious of your family history - both sides of ours, mine and my husbands were very dull. The only one of any interest was a sailor on the Titanic who was a distant cousin ( I think) and he survived on one of the rescue boats. All the others were worthy but dull.

Anyway have a good day and keep well
 
@Clipless a 14 mile bike ride is great! Going back to work is mental as well as physical. Mine was easier than I thought it would be. The hardest for you will be the physical aspect. Plan to go home and rest and ice for the first week or two. Plan easy meals, etc. Work will be enough. Hopefully your knee will continue to progress. Mine is doing better and I am slowly gaining ROM.

Having your kids leave home is tough. We want them to grow up and be independent but we miss them when they leave. You will just have to plan time to visit them and for them to visit you. You have a lot going on with your son moving and going back to work. I'll be thinking about you.
 
4 month update: Gradual progress despite no formal PT since Jan 1st. My slow ROM has been the biggest source of frustration. It was last estimated at 0/110°, not sure where it is currently. I can climb steps normally without holding the handrail, but I still need support descending. Quad is still weak, but oh whatever. I've learned the hard way that I can't rush this recovery.

I'm a multiple bike-owning bike junkie/addict and cycling is my major motivator. I can easily ride my cyclocross bike 20 miles with clipless pedals and cleated shoes. Yesterday I rode my favorite mountain bike -the one I couldn't pedal previously- five miles around the neighborhood with flat pedals and Chuck Taylors. It was okay; still a bit "ouchy" at maximum bend. But that's progress! At issue still is the seatpost (a little too short) and the cranks ( a little too long). Both problems will be corrected soon. And I would say that mountain biking requires more flexibility than road biking... sometimes you need to dismount quickly, or get waay back behind the saddle on a steep descent. I hope to be mountain biking by next week. I'll start on the easy trails and build from there. Racing isn't my thing- I just want to ride.

I start back to work this afternoon! I had a nice talk with my boss last night- she'll make sure my assignments don't involve too much walking. And I'll try to sit and put my leg up whenever possible. I plan to take an extra-strength Tylenol as my shift starts.

Next weekend marks the start of SoCal high school mountain bike racing season. Normally I would camp at the race venue, however I'm not ready for all that crouching/crawling around in a tent. Instead I will chill at a lovely hotel some 15 miles away- free wifi and full breakfast included!- while my son bonds with his coaches and teammates around the campfire. I'd kind of rather be there but It's all good- I'm bringing my cyclocross bike to pedal the path around the lake when the kids aren't racing, and cowbells and my camera for when they are. Junior Varsity (my son's group) does 3 laps of a 5.5 mile course up up UP into the mountains and then back, giving me several opportunities for action shots. A wonderful thing about this type of racing is the ability for spectators to move around the course, as long as we don't get in the way. It's exciting, and no stadium.

What else? I did a fair amount of yard work on Sunday- pulling weeds, raking etc., causing my back muscles to howl in protest for hours afterwards, but by the next morning I was fine. And... I removed my toilet's padded support arms!

I hope anyone reading this feels comfortable and safe regardless your stage of recovery. If by any chance you are down today, please try to stay positive- everything WILL get better!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Clipless Diana you are doing great! Some of us have just progressed a little slower. Glad you are able to get back to your passion of cycling. Being at the hotel while your son is at the race venue will be good for your knee. It will continue to get easier. Every week I notice things that are a little easier or something I couldn't do a few weeks ago. I hope your return to work goes smoothly and it is great that your supervisor is working with you. Plenty of rest after you get off work.
 
Well said clippy good move on hotel as camping could be a problem in recovery. You are doing well and realy impressed with attitude.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Good report from you again and mega impressed with your cycling prowess. As @Legin says great attitude!
It's so lovely to hear continuing reports of how well people are doing! As you say, it will get better!
 
Hey @Clipless so glad to hear you're working your way back onto 2 wheels.

I hit my 3 month mark last weekend and have since attempted a few casual rides on the mtn. bike. There seems to be a lot of moving around inside my knee (little pops, grinds, and creaks) but no pain. Did you have any experience with this? I imagine it's mechanically loose without any strong muscle to hold things intact.
Also, when I clicked into the SPD's it felt a little odd on the upward pull. Are you truly "clipless" or have you tried the binders yet with your new knee? I feel like my knee has to re-learn all these mechanics!
 
@RedRider I am truly clipless on my cyclo-cross bike with Time Atac pedals, still flats on 29er. One difference between the two bikes (aside from obvious body position) is that my cyclocross bike has shorter cranks- 170mm vs 175 on the mtb. My bend isn't stellar, therefore the shorter cranks are much more comfortable for me. When I went clipless on the spin bike I had difficulty clipping out for a few weeks but it got easier. Those are Forte generic spd's, non-adjustable and pretty stiff. I waited longer to go clipless on the cx bike. Times have a 1-2-3 tension setting, so I set them to "easiest". Much better!

I don't get clicking or movement while pedaling, just that tight stretch across the top of my knee. I have to trust that it'll get better- it is improving, just not as fast as I want/need.
 
First night back was Horrible. My nice supervisor wasn't there, and either failed to make suggested arrangements for my comfort, or was ignored. I was assigned to three different areas/floors at my enormous hospital- in fact it was the WORST assignment- did not sit or stop for the first four hours- couldn't!

Add to that the stress of a bunch of procedural and code changes, and new computer and phone systems to learn on top of a full workload. It was rough in many ways.

I was moved to ICU for the last 8 hrs, but the damage was done. By a.m. my knee was so stiff and my lower back in spasms. Yes, I'm supposed to be 100% and no restrictions to be at work, however others have been given lite loads when returning from injury or illness. I felt sad and betrayed. :(

I nearly called out sick for tonite, but I will try again. Will leave sick if I have to.
 
What a horrible start back to work! And so counterproductive from an employer's point of view. Surely there should be a procedure of easing workers back in after a long period of sick leave. It's just good practice to do that. I do hope things get better for you. Your poor knee!
 
Oh sheeeeeesh that really isnt on. As snaperooo states they should phase you back in. Here it is mandatory employer makes it as acceptable as possible. Really hope next shift is better. That supervisor is obviously highly skilled in man management, not. The biggest part of supervisory function is to ensure team is best placed and supported if not then team and shift are under performing. Well its what I do. Take care. Sorry for ranting.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thank you, my friends. I am working now, currently on break. My Supervisor is here. She heard about what happened last night and was very apologetic. Tonight is much better, but knee still VERY swollen. It's elevated right now, unfortunately not above my heart, and I'm wearing one of those tube elastics. Back sore but not in spasm. My ROM is low, but @Minnie's knees told me to expect that. I can't wait to go home and sleep.

The good news? I'm off for three days. I'll be at a nice hotel with a lovely king bed. Reading, vegging, watching TV, and playing solitaire. I was planning to ride my bike around a lake on Sunday, but honestly I can't see that happening.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom