TKR 8 Month Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I don't see the "thread tools" way to change my thread title, but here is my 7 MONTH UPDATE:
Yesterday was my seven month ann-knee-versary. I was on California's lovely central coast this weekend to watch my son compete in the CA high school State Mountain Biking Championships. I traipsed cross-country up and down some very stEEP terrain in search of perfect photo ops. I did not require trekking poles and my replaced knee did not bother me. In fact I forgot all about it. :loveshwr:

Now that racing season is over I will finally get to spend a little more time riding my own bike. I can't wait to see where this new knee will take me. Flexion is not perfect, but I can bend enough to squeeze all of me into the bathtub and wash my hair... if that makes sense. I can sit on my tall desk chair and hook my foot all the way back over the swivel base. The only discomfort comes with my ridiculous marathon shifts of 12 - 15 hours on my feet, but even that is getting better. Whenever possible I drag a padded chair up to the (stand up) computers and just kneel there while charting- feels so good. I still take one 7.5 mg meloxicam tablet daily.

In summary, I feel much better at seven months post op. It seems my "good" days finally outnumber the "bad". Whatever YOUR stage of recovery, I urge you to hang in there- everything does get better, it just takes time. :yes!:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I miss the west coast so much, and know it is wonderful to spend time outside. Sounds like you are doing great! And, the biking is wonderful. The standing 12-15 hours, is not :sad:. The little trick you're doing by hooking your foot back to flex your knee is really good. Every time I had the chance, I would sit near the edge of my chair and scoot both my feet back as far as I could. It does help! Enjoy your days riding, or whatever activity, you are an inspiration to those in recovery!
 
@Clipless , I have enjoyed reading your saga and it is so hopeful for us "newbies" (I'm only 2 1/2 weeks post-surgery) to hear that message that it does get better. Especially for impatient newbies like me. I'm more of a walker than a bicyclist but I have had to give that up over the past couple years due to my knee pain. Now I am anxious to get back to it.

@numbzee , my daughter lives in Peoria. She is an ob/gyn there and we go visit her as often as possible. As a matter of fact, this knee rehab is keeping me from being there right now; I miss my grandsons, age 5 and 8 months!

Sedona is just beautiful. My daughter and I went there and spent a short weekend at the Enchantment Resort one time which was nothing short of amazing. It's just beautiful beyond description.

I hope you will keep updating us on your progress, Diana. This rehab seems never-ending to me and I'm only 2 1/2 weeks into it!

Roxie
 
I just finished another "marathon" of back-to-back 12 hour shifts. It was super busy- lots of walking, standing, bending,- but my TKR leg did well. At one point we (me plus a team of strapping young men) had to rush a patient to the heart cath lab, and I kept up no problem. However I declined the opportunity to work a double shift. 12 hrs is enough.

@Kansas Teacher , I remember those early days and the impatience. I expected to be running around within a few weeks and that was so not the case. Think months. But you WILL get there. And it will be worth it!!!! :yahoo:
 
Such an encouragement! Thank you for showing your active new-knee life!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Clipless , your story is an inspiration and so helpful because it reminds me to keep my eyes on the prize ahead. I'm just not a "sit-around" kind of person and, yet, the best thing for me right now is to do a lot of that very thing. My husband is taking off for a few days to Phoenix to see our daughter and I am frustrated I am staying behind but it is too soon for me to make that trip now with the need to move around frequently to prevent blood clots, get all my exercises in, etc., etc. Soon.

Have a great day.
Roxie
 
Am I surprised clippy naaaaaa you have been a star through this process. BTW I'm with you on the dbl shift

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi everyone! I hope you're all feeling good today.

I am 8 months post LTKR, not 5- can't change my thread title anymore. Quick update: yesterday I was running late and hit rush hour traffic on my commute to work, therefore after parking I needed to seriously hustle. By coincidence I found myself waiting with my OS to cross the busy intersection to the hospital. He's a youngish man- early forties, at most. We exchanged pleasantries; I told him my knee was good, and as soon as the signal changed I took off at a brisk power-walk pace that left him in the proverbial dust. From somewhere behind I heard him exclaim, "Hey... I can't keep up with you!!!".

I walk faster than my orthopedic surgeon. My shoelaces weren't even tied. The moment put a little smile on my face. :yahoo:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Clipless that is great to hear..... I am just awaiting to get started and I worry so much that my patience will be killing me!!! 20 days before the big BTKR!! Thanks for being so truthful to us newbies!!
 
@Clipless - Just started reading your story.. going in for RTKR on July 13 and was reading recovery stories a couple, three weeks out.. I figured I should look at some that were a bit further along that that.. (if you get my drift)... :heehee: Your story is encouraging, but what caught my eye was your entry "I traipsed cross-country up and down some very stEEP terrain in search of perfect photo ops." That resonated with me, as that is one of the things I miss most with my limited ability.. I love hiking with (both) my camera(s) and can't even consider walking on flat surfaces for very long at this point.. I'm missing many "perfect photo ops" these days.. I'm SOOOO looking forward to enjoying my passion again.. Thanks for posting in this forum.. :)
 
@Braunzie , a good camera is on my xmas wish list this year. Yes of course you'll be hiking the steeps and getting those killer shots again! Just remember to be patient with your new knee and with yourself; recovery takes t-i-m-e. I started hiking again (short distances) at about 6 weeks. It was sooo difficult, but at the same time rewarding. Now hiking 2 or 3x/week feels almost crucial to continued progress. I wouldn't know how to replicate its benefits at the gym. I'm lucky to live near great trails. Up in WA you are equally blessed. I was there (on Orcas Island) in 2013... phenomenal!

I highly recommend a good, light pair of collapsible trekking poles, if you don't already have them. I'm a natural klutz, but I can negotiate sizable rocks with those poles. Best wishes @Braunzie and @iivesfam5 on your upcoming surgeries! Bonesmart is truly a wonderful resource; Josephine knows her stuff, and all of the Mods are so helpful. Thanks, everyone!
 
@Clipless Fantastic to hear your progress. I'm only about two weeks behind you, I had gone back to hiking and had joined a short walks walking group here in the Cotswolds, until just over 3 weeks ago I fainted and pulled my Hamstring and Abductor muscles in my TKR leg. This was initially more painful than than my Op and put me back on two sticks + loss of sleep and lots of painkillers. I am now on one stick and can hobble across the room without any, so progress is slow but steady. I am only 4 weeks from my next TKR so am eager to recover, but as my OS is sure that I shall I just have to believe him. Have you got another knee to be done, or was it just the one? I hope I progress better after my next Op than it did after the first. Lots of love,
Jackie
 
Yes @Majic , my other knee needs replacement. In fact my doc and I discussed this briefly at the stoplight. He said whenever I'm ready. I think next spring. How's that for a freebie/quickie consult? :heehee:
I am not eager to go through another surgery, but I know it's for the best- my right knee is starting to stiffen up.

What on earth caused you to faint, do you know??. How scary! Keep us posted on your upcoming surgery, and good luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom