TKR 8 Month Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I cannot imagine going up/down steep slopes yet. I did brave a 'stream' crossing today but it turned out the mountain bikers have removed all the rocks in the year since I have been that way so the dry bed is just a dip in the trail now. It is so great to get out and get my feet all dusty again.
 
Wow, I cannot imagine going up/down steep slopes yet. I did brave a 'stream' crossing today but it turned out the mountain bikers have removed all the rocks in the year since I have been that way so the dry bed is just a dip in the trail now. It is so great to get out and get my feet all dusty again.
I used to love to mountain bike in your area- Dos Vientos, and Point Mugu State Park from NP or the beach side, but I haven't been since my surgery. When you're ready let's meet up and go for a hike!
 
@Clipless I don't know why I fainted. I spent a day and night in our local hospital for x-rays and tests on just about everything. I suspect it was low blood pressure as it tends to be low, and I had just stood up having had my leg elevated and ice on my knee, and walked a short distance to put the ice in the freezer. However just to be on the safe side I have to have a 24 hour heart monitor fitted , (but couldn't manage it until September) as they want to rule out any problems with my heart. I doubt they will find anything.
As for your second knee, I don't know what your weather is like, but I have a friend who had both knees done in consecutive Februaries so that he had good weather to exercise in, and by the really good weather he was pretty much recovered.
Jackie
 
I'm Baaack! With a bad report on my arthritic other knee, the one I've been hoping to "nurse along" till next year. The meniscus tore again last Saturday evening, while I was just sitting there doing nothing. I don't have a definitive diagnosis yet, however I'm assuming lateral degenerative tear because the symptoms are similar to last time. My right knee is locked in a bent position approximately 20° from straight and I am painfully on crutches- Nice!

My right knee has severe OA, a huge bone spur, and my right lower leg has been twisting more and more inward (valgus). This is especially noticeable when I ride a bike- in fact the day this happened I was shopping around for a valgus wedge to place in my right cycling shoe. I am probably staring straight at my second TKR, but I will know more when I see my OS on Wednesday.

In other news, my left TKR is 10 months old and doing GREAT! Thank goodness, because it is the workhorse now.
 
My left TKR knee is doing all the work while my non-TKR knee whines and wimps out. I'm hoping to be able to wait until April, but if I decide to go earlier, my OS is ready.
 
Hi Diana, Sorry to hear about your right knee, that sounds painful and it must be keeping you off the bike. If you do need a second TKR, then at least you know what to expect next time. My left knee degenerated very quickly during the recover of my right knee and I am now about 4 weeks post left TKR. I enjoyed the months between 1 and 2 on the bike and I am looking forward to having two good knees for cycling after this recovery.

Keep us posted about your diagnosis and treatment for your right knee!

John
 
@metalheart , I did not realize you had your other TKR already. I hope you are having a smooth recovery.

Thank you for the good wishes. I had some excellent and compelling reasons to wait until next year for RTKR, but my knee is calling the shots. I am all set with knowledge and gear if RTKR is a "go". I already miss cycling and it's only been two days!
 
I enjoyed the months between 1 and 2 on the bike and I am looking forward to having two good knees for cycling after this recovery.

Hi Clipless,

Shoot! It sounds really uncomfortable. But I really liked what metalheart said.

I have been on my trainer twice now but not ready to take my bike on the road. I m going to take it nice and slow.

Keep us posted!
 
Sorry it didn't last, but hey means two good knees for outdoor escapades.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@metalheart , I did not realize you had your other TKR already. I hope you are having a smooth recovery.

Thank you for the good wishes. I had some excellent and compelling reasons to wait until next year for RTKR, but my knee is calling the shots. I am all set with knowledge and gear if RTKR is a "go". I already miss cycling and it's only been two days!

I know what you mean about wanting to wait. I was hoping to avoid the second TKR altogether, but cycling became painful and i was planning my rides around the pain in my knee, so it was a no-brainer decision to move ahead. Plus, I now have two count-em two, straight legs. When my head pops above the daily grind of recovery I can see uncompromised cycling ahead and that keeps me going.

If you do need a second TKR, I am sure you will do as well as your first with the motivation to get back to cycling.

John
 
@Clipless this is just what happened to me, and made my recent op urgent, as I was back on two sticks, and new knee was suffering badly. Best of luck
 
@Clipless Oh no! I am sorry to hear about your other knee. Mine is, I fear, going the same way but I am hoping to put it off for a while. Let us know how you get on with your OS appointment.
 
Oh Clipless I am so sorry you are having problems with your other knee! Mine is starting to give me fits too I dread having to go through all this again! Dread it! However my new left knee is 10 months out and doing pretty great at this point. I am willing to have the surgery if I have to because the results are so much better than walking in so much pain. I'll keep in touch! Take care.
 
I admire those going for the other knee in the same year. I just don't have it in me. I'll be waiting until I can't walk and am in pain again.
 
I'm already there. I walked the five to ten minute walk around the high school across the street from my house to attend a Town Hall meeting with my Congressional representative, and my non-TKR knee was complaining. Not sure I'm going to make it to April!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I keep saying next spring, then spring comes and I don't do it. My left knee is sore after a day of teaching. Those darn cement floors!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom