TKR 8 Month Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I considered driving, but I knew I needed to get some walking in. Glad I did it.
 
That stinks! Hope you get an appointment soonest and it's taken care of fast. I'd rather have surgical pain than injury pain any day.

So far my original equipment knee is behaving itself but it is probably just a matter of time. Hoping doing more cycling than walking will keep it functional. The angle hasn't changed on it yet although the Xrays look pretty ominous.
 
...Plus, I now have two count-em two, straight legs. When my head pops above the daily grind of recovery I can see uncompromised cycling ahead and that keeps me going....
John

@metalheart , It must be fantastic to have two straight legs! My LTLR leg is perfectly straight, but my right knee is becoming more and more "valgus" (knock-kneed) due to OA. This means my right foot does not connect squarely with the bike pedal anymore. The angle seems to have worsened dramatically this year, as my OS warned could happen. Today Specialized's customer support guy arranged to send assorted varus/valgus wedges for my right cycling shoe to hopefully level me out a bit. If my RTKR happens soon perhaps I won't need a wedge at all. Are odds good that my valgus right knee will be straight after TKR? That would be wonderful!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I know that the thought of surgery and the long recovery is daunting to say the least, but your comment of being in pain and can't walk means a choice. Carry on in pain and basically no mobility or say OK one year and I'm back better than ever before.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@metalheart , It must be fantastic to have two straight legs! My LTLR leg is perfectly straight, but my right knee is becoming more and more "valgus" (knock-kneed) due to OA. This means my right foot does not connect squarely with the bike pedal anymore. The angle seems to have worsened dramatically this year, as my OS warned could happen. Today Specialized's customer support guy arranged to send assorted varus/valgus wedges for my right cycling shoe to hopefully level me out a bit. If my RTKR happens soon perhaps I won't need a wedge at all. Are odds good that my valgus right knee will be straight after TKR? That would be wonderful!

Hi Diana,

I hope all goes well with your appointment. Before surgery on my right knee I was using a varus wedge under my cleat on both legs, just more on the left leg than the right. After the right TKR, I did not need the various wedge since my knee tracked just as it should during a pedal stroke. However, my left leg just became more bowed during the past few months and I needed additional wedging to get my foot more level on the pedal (I never quite got there). All of those alignment issues were a large pain to deal with and gave me IT band and other issues. My guess is that your leg will be in alignment after your next TKR and you will not need any wedging unless there is some other issue, but most likely not.

Not having to wedge, not having additional spindle length on pedals, and additional in-shoe adjustments to get close-enough alignment is such an added benefit to the TKRs and I am looking forward to having all those issues go away after this current recovery. You are on the same path!

Best wishes,
John
 
Today I saw my OS (great guy!), and here is my right knee:
[Bonesmart.org] 8 Month Update


For those of you who don't do xrays, it says, "Crunch, Ouch!", and "Please fix me!!!".
 
Thank you @Legin and Roxie, you always cheer me up!
John, the OS compared my right leg to a "kickstand" and says he will get me straight. I don't have a surgery date yet, but it should be sometime this month (September Sapphire!).

After my appointment I hobbled across the street to the Big House and had a nice chat with my manager. I was going to try to come back and work a couple weeks between now and surgery, however she reassured me that my position is secure, etc. and besides it is pretty obvious that I'm miserable and can barely walk -let alone work- 12 hour shifts. She was really complimentary and very nice, and I feel better having spoken with her.
 
Ouch -- it looks a lot like mine looked only mine was the left knee and the missing cartilage was on the medial side. I'm so glad to hear that you have been able to set your mind at ease about work and will be able to just focus on prepping for surgery and getting yourself back into bicycling form!

Roxie
 
Megga ouch re photo. I'm not surprised you feel more reassured your manager really sounds like a good in and its a reflection on your good self as the manager obviously values you. Just concentrate on you right now the goal is there to be achieved, that will be doing the can can before you know it.
Note to self nae bending down near lessclips

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Update: After my most recent meniscal tear that landed me "bone-on-bone" on the right, I've graduated once again from crutches to cane to comfortably walking on my own. I am still on Medical Leave pending RTKR. Despite an unusually persistent Southern California heatwave I've returned to hiking and cycling (both road and mountain). My LTKR knee is doing great, and a valgus wedge in my right cycling shoe helps me stay clipped in. When I hike I use two trekking poles in case my right knee goes out, but it's behaving for now.

I had a different sort of scare, as some recent lab results were less than stellar. So I've adopted a much healthier diet, cut out all soda and caffeine, and am drinking lots of pure water instead. I honestly do feel better, and have much more energy. Labs will be repeated Monday along with the usual pre-ops. RTKR is scheduled for October 5th, only 8 days away!

I have two questions:
1) I always get the annual flu shot at about this time of year, with no side effects. I am thinking of having one tomorrow. Is it okay to get the flu shot with surgery coming up so soon? I have asthma and it would really suck to come down with influenza... I think I just answered my own question!
2) Must I start a new post-op thread, or may I continue with this one?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Clipless glad you have a date for your operation. I am wondering about the flu jab, as I also have one about now. I am concerned about having it while I am still on antibiotics for this drated UTI which is still hanging on in my bladder.

I started a new post- op thread for my second knee, and found on the pre- op site lots of knee buddies for that knee. The same people have followed me over from the post -op thread of my first knee. I have found completely different problems this time round, and it am still following you, as you were so encouraging with my first knee. I was behind you then and you gave me good advice. This time I shall be in front of you, so may be able to help you.

The best of luck to you, and keep in touch.
 
Hi Clipless, wishing you the best for your upcoming surgery. I'm so glad that you have been able to get some good rides in after the tear. The nutrition will also help in recovery. I will be looking for your next ride photo.
 
@Majic I had a flu shot in the hospital the day after surgery and was offered by the hospital. Have had no issues and now about 2 weeks post op.
 
I opted not to have the flu shot for now. Any excuse to avoid the jab! I am also trying to be a little better with eating fresh foods and drinking lots of water. I think it made a big difference in my recovery from my RTKR July 9th, and with my LTKR coming up Thursday I am trying to duplicate my ridiculously good result. Even having it the same day of the week at the same time of day. So I will just be 4 days ahead of you. Ready, get set...
 
Hi Diana,
Hope your surgery went wel and you're having a good hospital stay.
Keep us posted when you can!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom