Guest viewing is limited

TKR 7 yrs out bilateral tkr

I really hope you don't feel pressured, but break down say stripping bed washing the bedding drying it then re making bed. How many times do you bend and carrying the stuff outs pressure on the poor muscles. We are all different and unique, goooood grief perish the thought of two of me. You are master of your muscles and its about finding that medium of independence and allowing things to heal. Again I appologise if you feel pressured it wasn't meant. Take care

Legin THR Sep 14
 
It's hard to say what activity causes the swelling. I get it 10
Mins after getting up in the morning of just going down steps and out to get the paper!
 
You only have bitheral TKR 11days earlier than me, please slow down. To cook, I did the cooking recently for me and my husband, but it were very simple one dish meal. Dust bunny, I don't mind. Hubby do the laundry, and driving, i did the bird food and cage papers, that,s covered all daily nessities. Please slowdown and look after your knee. Hugs.
 
Good! Follow Josephine's suggestions. The original mantras that we are all given are so true, "don't stand when you can sit, don't sit when you can lay down (elevate). That is the key to less swelling after this surgery. It may take more than a few days of heavy duty resting to get the swelling down, but give it a try and don't give up too soon.
 
I can do just a little walking and it swells.. Wake up in the am it's swollen bad.. I rarely do any exercises off of pt to keep it down but I lose rom fast. I go Wed to the dr.. He's considering mua on the left bc of lack of rom and flexion.. Right is doing awesome.. It hurts some but nothing like left.. Left has throbbing stabbing pain and if I move it wrong Omg.. It's like I've been kicked in the knee.. Sleeping still sucks bc if I move it wrong it wakes me up I plan on telling him this and the oxycodone gives me insomnia so I'm so lucky lol

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
The way to tell if there's anything to worry about, is to cut back, stay off your feet as much as possible for a week and if the swelling and pain are still there in a week talk to your OS. For some people just standing will cause swelling, where there is swelling there is no bending without pain.
 
I agree with Karri. I believed that swelling often also came from gravity. When vertical all that fluid is spread out stand and brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp it moves south.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Well mine hate vertical for sure... It just gets tiring I thought it would be so much better by now and life would be close to normal.. I'm almost 8 weeks out.. And it's not.. I'm supposed to be the young tkr that bounces back quickly and recovers fast and I'm not.. It's rather depressing and I know I need to be patient and realize that every knee is different but it's hard when everyone around you is like. Wow I thought you would be so much better by now.. You need to suck it up and push harder. And im trying it's just not cooperating

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
If people say it again refer them to YouTube and a vid of the opperation. This thingamabob of a recovery isn't ageist. Also recovery isn't the same for all in any way. So please try to stop referring your recovery to a planned chronological process. You seem to be hemmed in a tad lass with your expectations, friends et al expectations and the unsure response of your OS. One thing is sure your body best heals with rest, not immobile but give it a chance. If like Karri states no improvement then investigations can take place. Also don't forget all the things that you can now do. Try to keep smiling and for a medication I recoment one hug several times a day

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I'm supposed to be the young tkr that bounces back quickly and recovers fast and I'm not.. It's rather depressing and I know I need to be patient and realize that every knee is different but it's hard when everyone around you is like. Wow I thought you would be so much better by now.. You need to suck it up and push harder. And im trying it's just not cooperating
Surprisingly, young and fit people often seem to have a harder time with recovery than some of us older folks. Maybe that's because we aren't expecting to bounce back quickly? You see, no matter what your age, the knee itself takes about the same amount of time to recover, because it has had about the same amount of trauma. And it's just not a surgery from which you can bounce back quickly.

I'm sorry that people aren't saying more helpful things to you. It's obvious that they have not had a knee replacement themselves, or they would be more understanding. Not many people realise until they've done it themselves that this is a recovery that takes lots of time.

"You need to suck it up and push harder". That's about the worst possible advice you could be given. You need to do the reverse of that - treat your pain and don't push at all. I think we've told you that pushing hard only upsets your healing tissues, making them angry and inflamed. That slows down your recovery.

I do know how frustrating it is and that the recovery seems oh so slow! Unfortunately, that's the way it is. Your knee is in charge and it is going to heal in its own, sweet time, no matter how much you wish it could heal faster. Listen to the knee and do everything you can to keep it happy.
 
but I lose rom fast
Wrong answer, petal. You do have ROM but it's all hidden in the swelling. It would be almost like you had a plaster cast on. Your knee has ROM but it can't fight against the swelling. Read this again Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
For some people just standing will cause swelling, where there is swelling there is no bending without pain.
Spot on, Karri.
I'm supposed to be the young tkr that bounces back quickly and recovers fast
Trust me pet, there ain't no such person! Never was and never will be.
but it's hard when everyone around you is like. Wow I thought you would be so much better by now.. You need to suck it up and push harder.
Well who are you going to believe - all your well meaning friends who've never so much as bruised their knee? Or all of us who have actually had the surgery? Like many others, I've also had it twice!
 
Off to the dr tomorrow.... He shall see me at a bad point.. Swollen like crazy today. . Feels like I have a softball on my knee and a bat hit me across it... Should be fun

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @Pansy727 , wow! I feel bad that you are so swollen. Have you been icing and elevating? What do you think caused it? I hope your Dr tomorrow has an answer for you so you can get some relief. Try to take it easy and keep us updated on what the Dr told you. I wish you the best!

Lili
 
I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Hope you and the doctor are able to get to the bottom of this, and come up with a plan to address it.
 
Agreed it helps just to know what it is

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I have manipulation scheduled for next Thursday he said it's so tight nothing else will loosen it.. Let's pray this works

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
I will keep you in my prayers I'm sure you'll beat us after the manipulation
 
Back
Top Bottom