Guest viewing is limited

TKR 7 yrs out bilateral tkr

@Pansy727 at the end of healing time it will get better
Think of the better things you will be able to do when it's all done

I'm thrilled to be able to put in my socks by lifting my new knee. Even though swollen and annoying I'm happy for little things
Don't get so down. It will get better and we are here to help you thru
 
Why don't you try icing and resting for a few days? Give your knees so,e time to recuperate from your weekend? Are you pain meds putting a dent in the pain?
 
They help until I walk.. Walking hurts and it's so tight.. It hurts down the lateral side and across the top.. Today I've found a lot of buckling like it getting stuck.. It's like I'm having to drag that leg.. I've been elevating and icing all day. And taking my pain meds.. Just hurts.. Even with pain meds.. I would say I'm at a solid 5 on that knee when moving.. As long as I keep it elevated and don't move I'm ok.. It hurts to touch it right above the knee to the lateral side.. Ugh.. Needless to say I've been in tears thinking it may never get better

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
Call your OS so he can take a look at it. No sense in worrying about it, if he can take an x-Ray and give you an opinion. Is it your knee or quad? You said above the knee and to the side.
 
It's more like the knee.. It hurts higher up but not to touch

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
This is where it hurts. The top line is where it hurts in the quad area.. It's literally like a line.. The top part hurts to touch and then the lateral side hurts when I walk

[Bonesmart.org] 7 yrs out bilateral tkr


Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
Wondering if that's your IT band. You should probably continue to rest and ice until the pain lessens. @Celle or @Jamie will know if it's your IT or the actual knee.
 
Went to pt today.. Before I rode the bike and got stretched I was at 70 degrees.. After 81..still a loss of some rom.. It's tight and hurts.. She said it had no heat but was very obviously swollen.. Head pt guy told her to take it easy on me.. Bc that knee was angry

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
Sonhe should pushing you would only have brought more swelling. My PT made a point of pointing out swelling stops movement and that I was to push only to uncomfortable, I did get told off for pushing too hard.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
They have really slacked back to basically the bike and stretching trying to get this left knee loosened up... Wed when I went I was at 70 degrees before stretching. 81 after... Thursday I got to 89 but my therapist got upset bc she made me cry.. I didn't even know it at first tears were just falling.. The stretching was hurting so bad... I go Wed to the dr.. We shall see

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
We all get emotional. Emotional at pain, at lack of perceived improvement and just fed up. Never worry about tears we all Need outlet.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Pansy I feel so sorry for your continuous pain, I believe some solution needed to be worked out, either pain medicine schedule need to set, or you need a longer time off work, or something. I hope next Wed when you see Dr, you can get some solution. Before that, takes Sunday easily, do nothing except ice, rest and see if it help. Lots of hug goes your way, I feel for you, I really do. Wish I have a magic wand.
 
Thank you birdy... Me too... I keep going bc I pray one day I'll wake up and it won't hurt!

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
Great image - very informative. Looks like IT bad and quads.

I'd Like to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] 7 yrs out bilateral tkr
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often? And if you're not doing much now, tell me what you were doing.

Can you detail it like this

Exercises done at home: 3 sessions a day
Heel slides x10 (reps)
Strait leg raises x10
Steps x10

At PT
Squats x5 (reps) x2 (sets)
Wall slides x5 x2
Clamshells X5 x2
 
1. My pain level on my left is a 4. Right would be a 1. The right is just stretching pains with sometimes a little stiffness.. Left is stiffness, throbbing and sometimes sharp pains.
2. I have oxycontin er 10 mg 2x daily. Percocet 5/325 as needed. I take this usually in the am and before any pt. Oxycodone 5-10 mg as needed.. I take this every night at least once of not twice. 10 mg.. 5 mg I will take in the afternoon.
3. I ice a minimum of two times a day for an hour.. Most of the time it's 3 times a day.
4. I elevate when icing and at night in my bed
5. Left is 81-6 right is 120-1
6.i do all the cooking, laundry, showering, sweeping, dishes, feeding cats and cleaning litter boxes. I have gone grocery shopping twice, I can go to the store to pick up little things and meds.. When I did a lot of walking last weekend even with icing in between and lots of legs up.. It was bad and I lost rom and had horrible swelling and pain.. Throbbing aching stabbing pain
7. To be honest I do none at home.. I have so much swelling and stiffness that I do not do my pt at pt. I've been doing this for weeks. Before I did twice a day..
Straight legs raises x 20
Side raises x 20
Heel slides x 20
Quads x 20
Mini squats x 20
Knee raises x 20

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
1. My pain level on my left is a 4. Right would be a 1. The right is just stretching pains with sometimes a little stiffness.. Left is stiffness, throbbing and sometimes sharp pains.
Okay
2. I have oxycontin er 10 mg 2x daily. Percocet 5/325 as needed. I take this usually in the am and before any pt. Oxycodone 5-10 mg as needed.. I take this every night at least once if not twice. 10 mg.. 5 mg I will take in the afternoon.
Your medication seems to be a bit all over the place. I suggest you sit down and write yourself out a schedule and stick to it. You're only 7 weeks out and need to be on top of your pain, not treating it in bits and bobs.

For instance, this was the one I worked out for myself for my first knee and it worked a treat

[Bonesmart.org] 7 yrs out bilateral tkr


3. I ice a minimum of two times a day for an hour.. Most of the time it's 3 times a day. 4. I elevate when icing and at night in my bed
Twice a day isn't enough - I'd recommend icing/elevating more often than that.
5. Left is 81-6 right is 120-1
Oh you poor girl - you do have a problem in your left knee.
6.I do all the cooking, laundry, showering, sweeping, dishes, feeding cats and cleaning litter boxes. I have gone grocery shopping twice, I can go to the store to pick up little things and meds.. When I did a lot of walking last weekend even with icing in between and lots of legs up.. It was bad and I lost ROM and had horrible swelling and pain.. Throbbing aching stabbing pain
How long have you been doing all that? It's all far too much for 7 weeks out. Did you read this Activity progression for TKRs?
7. To be honest I do none at home.. I have so much swelling and stiffness that I do not do my pt at pt. I've been doing this for weeks.
I'm very pleased to hear it. Have you read my recpvery threads? (in my signature - very short, I promise!)

Before I did twice a day..
Straight legs raises x 20
Side raises x 20
Heel slides x 20
Quads x 20
Mini squats x 20
Knee raises x 20
Yes,I thought as much. All designed to cause maximum swelling and pain in the knee. I can never understand why PTs don't realise that doing a route march twice a day causes more problems than it solves.

Would I be correct in assuming your legs are both very swollen? You need to get the swelling down and you do that by
1. managing your pain more effectively
2. doing more elevating and icing - perhaps doing 40 minutes 5 or 6 times a day instead of just twice
3. cutting down on your chores - a lot. Dust bunnies don't matter, they are an affirmation that you are looking after yourself properly! Get help with the housework, accept offers of help, pay for it, whatever you have to do, but cut it down.
4. keeping walks to short ones, about 15-20 minutes each way and use canes so you don't limp
6. rest, rest, rest!
7. if the swelling persists, see if you can get yourself some sessions with a lymphatic drainage massage therapist
 
Yes they are both very swollen... Makes me crazy. Pt is doing more stretches and bike

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
I was waiting to hear what Josephine said, but was putting money down that she'd say you were doing too much. All that time on your feet is part of what is causing your swelling. My best friend and sister did my grocery shopping, brought meals (along with my mom & dad), cleaned my house, did laundry (I folded) for two months. It was hard to realize I needed this help, but I needed some help before I even went in for the surgery. Some days my dad would stop at Subway and bring a sandwich for the two of us to have lunch together and watch a hockey game on TV. Please let others help you. It will help emotionally as well as physically.
 
It does seem you do to much at home. I do most at home thru choice as well I have been doing it for years. But in recovery I dropped doing most cept cooking. Is there someone who can help you.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I really didn't feel like I was doing too much but I will cut it back

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom