Guest viewing is limited

THR 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is such a disappointment @Krista - so sorry to hear about the postponement of your surgery. I was hoping you and @Cynthia777 would be recovering on the same time line! Positive thoughts that the surgeons schedules can be paired within the next month or so.

Perhaps this is a silver lining for you to get the sleep apnea issue under control. This aging thing is definitely for the birds, I agree! I never had sleep problems before menopause but now, I do need help....I take a melatonin before bed. That was before my surgery. At the moment still have problems but it's gotten better. I was having problems focusing and getting through the day so know how you must be feeling.

Please let us know how you make out with the studies. I'm curious what the procedure is for sleep apnea and how it is resolved. What actually constitutes sleep apnea? Is it more a breathing issue that wakes you up and keeps you awake? Or, can it also be simply waking up numerous times throughout the night and having problems getting back to sleep. Regardless, you will want this cleared up before your next surgery I am sure.

Warm hugs!:friends:
 
Like @keepmovin mentioned, I'm also VERY interested in the sleep apnea issue because I'm wondering if hubby may have it. Since childhood his mom said he always had to take a nap while other children would hear nothing of it. He falls asleep once his head hits the pillow, he jerks (rhythmically) soon after falling asleep, he comes home to take a nap almost every day, his memory has been declining rapidly (he's only 65 years old) and the other day he actually fell asleep waiting for the traffic signal to change (another car honked and woke him up)! On occaision he's had to pull off the freeway to catch a few minutes sleep. We've been very concerned about his declining memory (not the normal memory loss most of us experience at our age) and have feared the possibility of early onset Alzheimer's. I'm almost certain I've heard him stop breathing a couple of times after he's fallen asleep. If it isn't too much to ask, let me know if most of these symptoms may indicate a sleep apnea problem. I would be so grateful @Krista (you have so much on your mind, so please don't feel obligated to fill me in on your research). :-)
 
@keepmovin and @Cynthia777, if you google "sleep apnea wikipedia" you will find an excellent, comprehensive article about the 3 different kinds of apnea, symptoms, diagnosis and treatments. An "apnea" is a pause in breathing during sleep that can last from a few seconds to several minutes(!). To get a diagnosis, you need 5 or more of these pauses per hour. You are not aware this is even happening. The pauses deprive you of oxygen and cause sleep deprivation, since you can't stay in the sleep stage that is restorative. There are 3 types: central (a lack of respiratory effort, where your body doesn't even try to breathe), obstructive (where there is a physical block after muscles relax during sleep) and a mixture of the two. It is more likely with age (over 40), excessive weight, alcohol use, smoking, having a big neck, being male, having a small jaw, big tonsils, allergies, etc., there is a long list in the article.

It is diagnosed by the normal things like physical exam, history of symptoms, looking at your risk factors and observation, but a sleep study where they actually measure the number of apneas is the best way. You sleep in a room, which is like a hotel room, and I'm guessing they hook you up to a machine for the measuring. Sometimes you can do the testing at home with a different kind of machine. There is a spectrum of mild (5 - 14.9 apneas per hour) to severe (30+).

I am sure I have obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). There are a number of treatments, ranging from use of a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine, to dental oral devices that keep your jaw pulled out and opening the airway, meds, different sleep positions, even surgical interventions and more.

The symptoms include snoring, restless sleep, and daytime sleepiness. So, @Cynthia777, your husband has many of the symptoms. It sounds like his daytime fatigue has gotten to the point of being downright dangerous!

Side sleeping is recommended if you have OSA, and I have just naturally slept on my side for the last 30 years or so, probably because of the OSA. It is getting more difficult for me to do that, since I have pain in my shoulders and arms that gets worse at night, when I am lying on them, and I often wake to pain and numbness. Plus, as I said before, I end up a little bit on my side anyway, and my mouth opens to try to breathe (while I am sleeping) and I get severe dry mouth, and I wake up. Plus with this leg pain I have now, that interferes as well. I wake up many times a night, plus I probably have the OSA apneas in addition. Oh, for the luxury of a comfortable, full night's sleep -- or -- just waking up once or twice and not feeling pain and numbness and dry mouth.
 
Who needs to look it up, you've given me plenty of info...thanks!!!! I'm going to make an appointment with a pulmonologist for hubby right away.

On another note, you mention the pain in your shoulders from side sleeping and I thought I'd mention that I also had pain in my shoulders AND my hips from side sleeping about a year and a half ago. I ended up purchasing a memory foam high density topper and it alleviated all my pain from side sleeping. I thought I had bursitis from the side sleeping, but whatever it was has completely disappeared.
 
Thanks @Krista! This was very helpful and I echo Cynthia's response - think you just quoted enough for us from wikipedia! :heehee: Good thing you asked @Cynthia777! Wow, yes, get your husband in for a study!! Hasn't he been concerned or is he your typical male that refuses to seek help when help is needed! He's lucky to have a wife and family who recognizes the danger signs for him!

I know my husband has problems with the side sleeping and pain in the shoulders but we already have a soft pillow top. Maybe I'll look into purchasing another memory foam mattress for his side of the bed!:)
 
@keepmovin and @Krista
Yes, yes, your typical male (invincible)! He looked at me in terror when I said he may have sleep apnea. Why? Because he said, "I'm not wearing one of those crazy machines at night!" You must understand that this is coming from a man that is most definitely the sweetest, kindest and gentlest man on earth, EXCEPT when interrupting his sleep! Don't mess with his sleep! Can you imagine a child who would go and take a nap every day by choice? I'm just wondering if he's had this apnea since childhood?

Here us a link to the twin memory foam mattress topper. @zauberflöte (a BS member) had recommended it because of its high density. I just love it and had no problems getting in and out of bed post-op. I've experimented using different sheet configurations on our king sized bed and found it best to put the regular king sheet under it, then put the twin xl sheet over the topper and finally put the king top sheet on. If you're into your bed looking like a bed made by Martha Stewart, the unevenness may bother you visually. I'm past that stage and look for comfort above all else. :)
Btw...I did find it for less money on eBay awhile back, so if you're interested in purchasing it, read the reviews and info on Amazon.com, but check eBay and see if you can find the same one for less money or maybe free shipping.

Here's the link...
https://www.amazon.com/Density-Elastic-Memory-Foam-Mattress/dp/B006FLMQ4Q?tag=ate362da-20
 
@Cynthia777, Wow, that topper looks so luxurious! I have a thick (3 or 4") memory foam mattress topper, have had it since a few days after coming home from the hospital after my THR. My bed is very cushy. I seem to have the pain in my shoulders and arms all the time, worse in bed after on my side for awhile. There is a certain spot at the joint (at the top of each shoulder) where if you touch it, it hurts a lot. Feeling more and more pain there, and shooting down my arms, all the time. I need x-rays.

Your husband may, indeed, have had it since childhood. As I said, there are many possible interventions for this. I have a friend who tried a CPAP and didn't like it. She had the oral appliance made by a dentist and it worked much better for her, doesn't cover the face or anything. It all depends on the severity.

You're welcome, @keepmovin! It is a subject that is big in my mind these days, and I am happy to share what I know.
 
@Krista
Have you tried a chiropractor for your shoulders? Many years back I had a severe case of bursitis on the side of my upper arm (I literally couldn't lift my arm two or three inches without severe pain) and a client of mine mentioned he had had the same thing. After numerous doctor visits that didn't help, he ended up going to a chiropractor that used a strong electrical current on it and it worked. So, I ended up going to a chiropractor who used this type of electrical treatment and I'll be darned if it didn't take care of it after one visit! It really was amazing. The thing is, some chiropractors use a mild electrical type current, but it takes many visits to work (my husband found that out).
 
Hi Krista. I am a new member. Sorry to hear of all your hip problems. I had my first gluteus mediums and minimus repair in 2013. Had a bad fall 4 days after surgery and then had a total of 6 repeat surgeries. I am going for my 7th surgery on 10 June 2016. I will also have two surgeons. A Plastic surgeon and orthopedic surgeon. They will do a muscle flap transfer from the Gracillas muscle from the inside of my thigh to the greater troghanter with new blood supply. 8 to 9 hour surgery with 7 to 10 day lying flat for the new blood supply to heal. Hope you hear soon your new surgery date.
 
Sleep apnea can cause memory loss & heart problems. My husband, who is 70, was first diagnosed with it over 35 years ago and I'm sure our adult son has it but won't get tested. My husband was falling asleep while talking on the phone on business calls & while driving. The doctor told him if he didn't accept treatment they would contact the state & have his drivers license suspended, so he accepted treatment. He won't even try now to sleep without his CPAP. Like I said earlier, I had it too but have lost weight & don't now (thankfully). I was so tired before I realized I had it that i would be walking & fall down easily. One time fell in a store & cut my lip & had to have stitches.
Although my blood test showed up " thick" to indicate some type of problem, it is diagnosed with a sleep study. Mine included one night in a hotel like place with all types of electrodes attached to my head. It is well worth getting tested & accepting treatment!
Krista, I'm thankful you have time to get tested before surgery because, if you have it, I think having an adequate oxygen supply to your brain will also help you heal much better.
Take care of yourselves!
SweetPea69
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Tokkie, welcome to Bonesmart! You will find this a place of great support and caring and information! You have had some very bad luck, my dear. That fall, and all of those surgeries, and another surgery to come. And those restrictions -- flat on your back for that long! I sure hope it works this time. I'll certainly be thinking about you on June 10, as you try to have this all sorted out. So your problems are still with the gluteus medius and minimus? Are they too degraded now to do their functions and that's why you need the muscle transfer?

I do know that my surgery isn't 100% guaranteed to work, but I hope I at least have improvement. He said they might have to thread through some of my gluteus maximus if the medius and minimus muscle/tendons won't work well enough. Still waiting to hear about my new date for surgery.

Best of luck to you, Tookie, with the results of this next surgery!
 
@SweetPea69, thanks for sharing your experiences and information. Yes, the consequences of untreated obstructive sleep apnea can be very bad. Good to hear that the doctor took it seriously enough to have the thread of having your husband's drivers license suspended, and that got your H into treatment. And how wonderful that you don't need a device now! Tomorrow I go to the pulmonologist and will hear about testing. I am guessing that I will have time for it, since I haven't heard about a new surgery date yet. My silver lining! I can't even imagine sleeping at night without many interruptions. I don't even get up to go to the bathroom when I awaken, so it's not that. So disruptive.

@Cynthia777, thanks for your kind words about the possible use of a chiropractor for my shoulders. It's amazing how quickly it worked for you, after no joy from regular doctors. I'd rather first have my orthopedist take a look at them, take some x-rays, see what is going on with them. Gotta go that route first! I know you are only a few hours out from your second THR (hurray, you have surfaced and are doing fine!), but somehow I missed this post when you first wrote it, so responding now. Take care, sweetie!
 
Saw a pulmonologist yesterday about my sleep problems. He agrees it's probably obstructive sleep apnea, and he ordered an overnight sleep study, which I scheduled for May 9. If they see a number of apneas in the first few hours, then I will spend the second half of the night using a CPAP machine to see if that helps. If so, then I would be able to get one, hopefully as soon as possible, so I could get used to it and it would benefit me when I have to sleep on my back post-surgery. I do not want to have to spend another 6 or more weeks sleeping sitting up! (or NOT sleeping, as was the case most of the time)

I do not have a date set for surgery yet. But will occupy myself getting this sleep stuff sorted out. Also, I tried a new recipe the other day for rhubarb/strawberry pie that was in the New York Times. Turned out pretty good! I've never done lattice tops before, and just threw it together quickly, as I can't stand up for very long. My husband ate a whole pie (and they are huge) in one day. Afterwards he missed some regular meals (due to lack of hunger!), but he said it was worth it.

[Bonesmart.org] 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'
 
I hadn't seen that your surgery was postponed until now and I was going to commiserate but reading through the rest of your posts, it sounds like it's been a blessing in disguise. I hope you get the sleeping problems sorted. It's so debilitating not getting a proper night of rest.
 
Right, @Zelda, sleep is so important, especially in recovery. I am not sure I would be pursuing this if I didn't have another surgery coming up. Yes, my sleep is worse lately, but I really don't want to have to sleep sitting up after the surgery. It was so awful that I absolutely dread it. If I get a CPAP and only use it after surgery, it would still be so worth it to me. But I am guessing it will be helpful for a long time to come as well.
 
@Krista Glad to see you have a date for testing. Will be interested to know the results of this procedure. I still have problems with sleeping as well but it's not from sleep apnea, just typical restless issues at night. Seems a number of folks also have this problem. Just have to work through it. Last night was a rough one.:umm:

Your pies look lovely! I enjoy making pies but never do the lattice topping. Looks like too much work. And your husband finishes a whole pie in one day?? :heehee: I can see why he had no appetite for a meal! Did he at least save a slice for you?

Have a great day:flwrysmile:
 
@keepmovin, yes, I had a piece, too! We still have quite a bit of the second pie left. These were my first attempts at lattice tops.

I am really wondering how much of my sleep difficulty is from apnea, and how much from other factors. Time will tell. I will be reporting all!
 
@Krista
Wow, your pies look delicious! Wish you could send some to us virtually but then it would have to be a magically multiplying pie to send it to so many virtual BS friends! :heehee: I'm sure your husband did enjoy it!
So glad you have the sleep test scheduled & hope it will help you get some relief! Hang in there & keep us updated about that & your upcoming hip surgery.
SweetPea69
 
@Krista
Do you know why they haven't called you with a new surgery date? It's beginning to irritate me for you! At least you have your sleep study coming up here in 5 days. Just got caught up on your thread and I must say, "I want you to send me one of those pies, pronto!" :heehee: They look absolutely delicious! Yum!
 
@Cynthia777, thanks for asking! I check in with them every week, no explanation of why the delay, but I trust they will schedule it when they can. I've gone up a notch in my level of patience. Really feel like a zen master these days! Sleep study coming on Monday.

I've been trying to sleep on my back, and incredibly I have been able to do it, kind of! I have a very firm, but comfortable memory foam pillow that holds my head up really well. I think that is making a big difference. Plus I have rigged up a contraption of two king-sized pillows that I sewed together have put into two pillowcases that I cut in half and sewed together. Then I pin the whole thing down to the bed in some places, and when on my back, my feet go on top, and when on my side, one leg goes under, one over. It is marvelous! I really think that the back sleeping goes so much better when my feet are raised. It doesn't affect my lower back and pelvic girdle as much, allowing for more sleep.

I'll just use a regular pillow for the sleep study, so that the full effect of the apnea (if it exists) will show up. I still awaken often with dry mouth, but have a drink and go right back to sleep. I start on my back and switch to my side mid-way through the night. It is so interesting how I have been able to change my sleeping behaviors - never would have thought that was possible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom