THR 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the electric recliner purchase was a good one for me, too. The "eject" mode (my PT recommended this) was especially useful right after surgery, and I am certain the recline helped keep my leg swelling to a minimum. During my early recovery, I kept an eye mask on the table next to me. Even with sun streaming through the LR windows, I could cover my eyes and take a nice long nap. My two cats have liked the way my lap gets longer when I recline; there is room for us all!
 
@Krista, I'm 5 months post op and have been experiencing intermittent pain as you've described for the past two months. Your posts and Josephine's have given me good information; I'll be going back to my surgeon soon with these questions. My X-ray last month looked good, but this has gotten a bit worse. Today my leg just about gave out and I had trouble walking. It eased up after a bit, and I could walk again. Please keep us posted, you've been very helpful!
 
@matisse So glad the recliner is working for you so well. I had fairly significant leg swelling with my THR, and I didn't do any elevating. This wasn't suggested to me, but now I know better. The recliner will help me with that. I will try to prevent it with some elevating. Love how your kitties are enjoying your longer lap! I will get myself an eye mask this time, since I will be doing literally all of my sleeping in the recliner until I can sleep on my side. As you pointed out, it would be helpful for those during-the-day sleeps.

@Serenity12 Thanks so much for your supportive comments! I was first steered in this direction from a comment on another forum by a woman with the same problem who shared her experience with me. It's good you will be checking with your surgeon, since your problems with pain and walking sound serious. My limping and pain are getting worse, too. I'm now using round-the-clock acetaminophen, although I'm not sure it's doing any good. Wednesday is my hip aspiration to check for infection, and I'm looking forward to getting results, but I think it might be somewhat painful. Sometimes they don't even get any fluid. It seems that lately I am always having something done to me that I've never experienced before. It's becoming my norm!
 
@Krista

Please let us know how your aspiration went, I'm sure it wasn't very pleasant. I'm going to keep you in prayer Krista. You seem like such a strong woman and have such a great outlook while going through all of this. You are an inspiration to many here on BS. Sending hugs from California. :console2:
God Bless!
 
Had the hip aspiration today. I liked the radiologist who did the procedure. He explained things very well beforehand and kept me informed throughout. Both he and the nurse were cheerful and did their best to make me comfortable. He numbed my hip area thoroughly with a local anesthetic and I felt no pain when the aspiration needle went in. Doctor was able to guide the needle by looking at the screen, which I was able to see also. I even took photos afterwards of the screen shots they saved, in which the needle is clearly visible touching the prosthesis joint! He put the needle in 4 different spots and was unable to remove any liquid. That's a good sign! Often if there is infection, fluid is easily obtainable and it looks cloudy. So he injected small amounts of saline in those 4 areas, and that's what hurt! Leg was twitching, muscles spasming a bit. But it was over quickly. After he injected the saline, he then tried to aspirate some fluid, but he couldn't get any, so there won't be anything for the lab to test. I expect to hear soon from the surgeon about the next step. Feeling a bit tired, but no pain, other than the usual!

Went out to a delicious lunch at my favorite restaurant with my sister afterwards. The nurse had even given me a coupon to use there, so it has been a very good day.

I attached a crop of one of the photos. You can see the horizontal needle, with a bend in it, showing that it is right up against the metal prosthesis.

[Bonesmart.org] 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'
 
@Cynthia777, you are such a sweetheart! I did post about the aspiration above. I always have been strong, and I remain strong mentally, but lately feel that I am weakening physically. Thank goodness I have a great support system with my husband and sister. She lives next door and drives me to all these procedures. We all have our health issues and try to be there for each other. I am so glad to have found Bonesmart and another hip replacement forum where I can get support, also, from those who are going through the same things that I am. I just wish I had found the forums before my THR instead of 6 months later.
 
You are all fortunate that you have one another for support. I hide any potential health issues from my hubby and daughter, so I pretty much go it alone. They are both healthy and my daughter worries about things more than anyone I know. Until I know for sure that I have something to worry about...mums the word.

I sure hope your OS can figure out what the problem is! You must be quite frustrated at this point.
 
@Cynthia777, I am fortunate! So sorry you have to hide things from your loved-ones until they are a fact. That makes it much harder to deal with. My daughter can equal yours in worrying, I am sure! She has been watching me like a hawk throughout my non-recovery from my THR, and is very concerned. She is young, 28, and I am older, at 68. She wants me around as long as possible, and is always bugging me to do the healthy thing and take care of myself. I can't hide much from her!

The way forward for me is clear, and I will be having the tendon/muscle repair surgery. Hoping to schedule it soon. The aspiration was just to help rule out infection.
 
Oh my Krista, we are in a similar situation. My daughter is 28 (an only child) as well and I am 62. She lost her father when she was 16, so I am well aware of the dynamics that play here with our daughters fears of losing their much loved mothers.
Thankfully you know what direction you are heading to get past your hip issue!
 
I also have a son, @Cynthia777, but he lives in your state (!) about 2,000 miles away from my husband and me, and is more independent. That doesn't help with my daughter, though!
 
Hi @Krista! I'm glad to see all worked out well yesterday with the aspiration and no infection. I'm laughing at the picture you were able to get of the actual procedure! I remember watching the needle go in and eyeing it very carefully but never thought of taking a picture!:heehee: I went through the same sensations too. First and second were not painful just uncomfortable. This last time I was very nervous because of the close proximity to my nerve issue!:sad:

When will you hear the results and what the next step will be?
 
@keepmovin, I took 4 pictures! They had made screenshots of the 4 locations where they tried to aspirate, and saved them. They said that at the end they would show them to me and let me take photos, since I had brought my phone in with me. I was so surprised at how easy-going this doctor/nurse team was. It didn't hurt at all except for when they injected fluid in - ouch!

One of my two new orthopedists (in the new practice) will call me with the results. I think it will be soon, since there isn't really any fluid to test. By next week, for sure, I hope! I believe the next step will be to meet with the new surgeon to formally hear about the tendon/muscle repair surgery recommendation and procedure, and to schedule it. I am trying to organize things in preparation - doing income tax, filing, digging out all of the things that I needed at home after the previous surgery - so that I will be ready to go asap! Thanks so much for thinking of me.
 
Krista, hoping you have good news from the aspiration. Prayers!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
My sweet @Cynthia777, I have good news! I met with the second new surgeon on Monday, and he proposes that he and the first new surgeon do an exploratory/repair surgery on my hip. He says they will both be there, open me up, pop out the ball and look all around for signs of infection, check to make sure the prostheses haven't loosened, and repair any damaged soft tissue including, of course, my torn gluteal tendons/muscles. He doesn't expect to find infection, since they couldn't get any fluid with the hip aspiration, but if he does, they may have to take it all out. Ditto re loosening. With any luck, it will end up just being the tendon repair. Also, he says they may put in a new ball that would make up for the very small leg length difference that I have. I had a blood test to check for metallosis, which I was surprised to hear can occur even this early after THR. I have titanium on ceramic, but he says that there are other parts that can shed metal. Again, he is fairly sure this isn't happening, but just wants to cover all the bases. So, they are going to be very thorough in trying to treat what is wrong with my poor hip/thigh.

I am waiting to hear back from an assistant regarding some dates when they can both attend my surgery. Can't WAIT for the DATE! There will be the usual pre-op stuff to get through, and it may not be for a couple of months yet, but I am feeling the beginning of the very slow turn of the giant ocean liner.
 
@Krista
Wow! What interesting pictures! And what a difficult recovery you have had! I hope you meet the new surgery team soon and get the tendon/muscle repair done soon so you can be on your way to a fuller recovery! You are in my prayers.
@Cynthia777 & @Krista You 2 are in a different place as far as sharing with your children & I feel like I'm in the middle of the two of you. We have a son, daughter-in-law & 2 grandchildren who live in Italy so we don't talk to them very frequently. Our daughter & son-in-law live in our area(about 30 miles away). She is an RN & will help anytime we need her, but is a busy young professional as is her husband so we try not to call on them for help unless really needed. I remember what it is like trying to work & take care of older relatives, so I just try to be aware. Mind you, I don't feel old at age 69. Anyway that is one reason I am so thankful that I've found this wonderful BS support family. Wish I'd known about it when I had my bilateral knee replacements. @Cynthia777 I'm sorry you are cautious about sharing with your daughter but understand your reasons.
You all have a good day! Know you are in my prayers.
SweetPea69
 
Thanks, @SweetPea69! How amazing of you to have kind words for others when you are only 2 ½ weeks out! I didn't have much strength and wasn't making much sense at that point myself! I didn't discover BoneSmart and another great forum until I was 6 months out from THR, so I missed out on all the great information and support pre- and post-op. But I am very glad that I have it now. A woman on my other forum clued me in to what turned out to be my problem on my first day there (also 6 months out), in answer to my first post. I am forever grateful to her for speaking up!

I am 68 and feel so old with this disability and pain, completely unlike how I have felt in the past, even right up until my THR. It has been a major adjustment for me, and my family, who are used to me being superwoman. I get how you don't want to ask for help from your daughter unless it is necessary. Being dependent is the pits, isn't it!

Wishing you a great recovery, SweetPea!
 
Hi @Krista ! I was wondering when you were going to hear back from your surgeon. This is good, positive news for you and hope they come up with a suitable date sooner rather than later! Sounds like they will cover all concerns once they get inside but hopefully it's just the torn gluteal muscles that need repair and that will be it!

I completely and totally understand your feelings about feeling old due to our situations and this dependency thing makes me miserable. My two daughters have been great and very understanding, but I don't like the 'changing of the guards' that has taken place. :sigh:

I stay positive, focused because it makes me feel better, but I can't wait to have my independence and strength back! We all want that so here's to positive energy and complete healing for everyone!:angel:
 
@Zelda
I'm so very happy to hear you have both surgeons attending you! You couldn't ask for better. You are getting close to resolving this awful journey you've been on and I'm certain you will feel young again once this is all behind you! Look how active you were with hiking etc. Those muscles come back fairly quickly from what I've read (muscle memory). You are always in my nightly prayers dear one.

@SweetPea69
I just need to mention that you're such a wonderful addition to our BS family! :friends:
The reason I haven't shared my other health scare with my daughter is because she lost her father at the age of 16, is an only child and has grown up with a fear of losing me. Add to the mix that she is the proverbial worrier and I just can't imagine telling her about something that may turn out to be nothing (if this makes sense). How awesome to have an RN in the family...very helpful I would imagine! :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom