THR 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

Status
Not open for further replies.
@keepmovin, my smile muscles are hurting from being exercised so much these last couple of days. Thanks to everyone here for their support! I am very organized and am going full tilt to prepare. Have been checking out post-acute rehab centers, as I know I will need that this time, with toe-touch only for many weeks. Loved the one I toured yesterday, is more like a resort/spa than a nursing home. Will go there unless one of the two I am seeing today is better - not likely! And my insurance will pay for my whole stay there, of one or two weeks, since my deductible and out-of-pocket will be exhausted by the time I get there. I am so excited to be moving forward!
 
@Krista
The places you are checking out for re-hab sound awesome! The one with the gardens & ability to be outside, especially! So glad you are finding positives now that surgery is scheduled.
 
@Krista, that's great that you will be able to go to a rehab facility and that insurance is picking it up. I went to rehab after both surgeries and found it very beneficial. The one you toured yesterday sounds lovely!
 
@SweetPea69, my sister and I saw two more places today, highly rated for what they do, but not nearly as nice of environments as the one we saw yesterday. I have made my decision, to go for the one from yesterday with the guaranteed private room and outdoor garden patios!

@Hipster Girl, I didn't even consider rehab after my THR, as I was full weight bearing and could get around, barely, with a walker, and I had my sister next door to help me during the day and husband at night. But this time it will be so different, and with this great facility, I have no reason not to go! May I ask how long you were in rehab? I am thinking one or two weeks at the most for me, but if I need more, then I wouldn't hesitate to stay.
 
@Krista, I stayed two weeks with my first hip and just one week with my second. By the time I had my second surgery, I kinda knew the drill already so I didn't require as long of a stay.
 
Thanks, @Hipster Girl. I was pretty good with the THA, but I am scared of the no-weight bearing, or just toe touch, for such a long time. I will be much less mobile this time, and my arms will get quite the workout. They hurt right now, for no particular reason that I know of.
 
@Krista
Just checking in on you to see how you're doing. You sound in wonderful spirits, which is half the battle. I'm so happy you have an end in sight! You're a great gal and I for one am so happy you're part of the BS family! :loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, @Cynthia777, thanks for the kind words! I love being here at BS. I am in good spirits, making plans for pre-op testing and appointments and organizing things around the house in preparation for post-op. I'm still trying to get all of our files in better shape. It's a big, dusty, boring job, but no one else is going to do it. I have made definite plans for rehab at the "spa" place. Feeling pretty good, except for the pain and disability in my hip and thigh, which seems to be getting worse all the time. My husband worries about me making it to May 9, the surgery which is one month away! I have started using my grabbers more when I drop things, as when I bend down low, I have a terrible time getting back up again, and feel like my leg might dislocate or something. I think I will impose my own restriction of the 90 degree rule.

Today is the one-year anniversary of my sister moving in to the house next door. Maybe we can have a celebration, since it's been terrific for both her and for me.

It's less than two weeks for you now, and I hope you are getting over that cold of yours. Sending you all kinds of good wishes and hopes for the best as it gets closer and closer. May we both be able to enjoy summertime with new, beautifully functioning hips!
 
Sorry to hear you are experiencing more pain! At least there is an end in sight. Thank goodness your sister moved next door, it must be very comforting to know she's right there to help you if needed. The cold is hanging on, but seems to be getting a bit better. Thanks for asking! :-)
 
Got a call today from surgeon's office and the surgery has been cancelled for May 9. Guess it is difficult to get two busy surgeons' schedules to coordinate for the same surgery. This has taken a bit of wind out of my sails. I will hear soon (maybe this week) about a new date. In the meantime, I have an appointment with a pulmonologist to evaluate me for obstructive sleep apnea, which I am sure I have. With this postponement, maybe I'll have time for the sleep study to be done before the surgery, and maybe I'll even have enough time to get a device that will help me be able to sleep on my back post-surgery. It was absolute hell sitting up for sleep for those first 6 weeks last time. Sigh. More waiting.
 
Oh no @Krista! What the...? Gosh darn it! I'm so very sorry and I know it must be so discouraging. Maybe it's one of those unseen blessings we never know about. If you do have the apnea teasing done and it turns out positive, do you think your health insurance might pay for a hospital bed rental? I can't remember if you mentioned whether you have enough room in your house to have one set up. The electric hospital bed would be such a blessing for you because you had such a difficult time sleeping last time. Again, I'm so sorry, but try and focus on "things happen for a reason". That's how I deal with disappointments. Hugs!
 
@Cynthia777, yes, the hammer has fallen, no op yet! The silver lining here is that I may have time to get the sleep study, the obstructive apnea diagnosis and a device to help me breathe while lying on my back before the surgery. That would solve the problem. The hospital bed won't really do me much good without a breathing device, since I would still have to be sitting up to sleep. Anyway, when I was at the hospital, with the bed and the back cranked up, I was very uncomfortable and slept horribly. At home I had a LOT of pillows in my regular bed that made for good support and softness for sitting up, but I still slept horribly. It is possible that even being able to lie down and sleep with a breathing device I will still not sleep well, but at least I wouldn't be able to blame it on sitting up!
 
@Krista
So very sorry to hear that your surgery has been cancelled. That stinks. Can you be put on a cancellation list? Wow. How unfortunate. Well like you said, maybe you can get your sleep issue under control. I hope so.

Did they say when you might get a new date??
Again, sorry to hear this. Waiting, waiting and waiting again is so very hard. My heart goes out for you

Hang in there Krista. Things have a way of ironing themselves out.
 
@Arlene56, thanks for your comforting words! I was told that as soon as a new date is assigned, I will be called. She'll call on Friday whether they have the new date or not, just so I know they haven't forgotten me! I am guessing I'll know within a week. Now that the initial shock is over, I am eagerly looking forward to the resolution of my sleep problems. Whether I have the surgery or not, I'll still be hobbling around with walking aids, so I might as well be able to sleep!
 
@Krista
I'm so sorry about the postponement but glad you will get a sleep study because if you have sleep apnea & get it treated you will feel so much better! My husband absolutely cannot sleep without his C-pap. I had sleep apnea for several years & before it was diagnosed I was so tired I would fall so easily & I also thought I was having early onset dementia. Hopefully you can get that sleep study done soon!
Take care of yourself!
 
I'll be praying that you will have the sleep apnea issue resolved prior to surgery. You don't need to go through that again. Wishing you start having good things coming your way. You've been through enough already. :-)
 
Me, too, @SweetPea69! Thanks for telling me about how getting a diagnosis and treatment for you and your H has helped you both. Gives me hope. I see the doctor for the initial appointment next week. I'll take the first available date for the sleep study. I am tired all the gosh-darned time, and have been thinking that it was because of my pain and disability, and perhaps most of it is. But I am sure I am also negatively impacted by the apnea. I wake up lots of times every night with a very dry mouth, must drink water. I start sleeping on my side and have a wedge pillow at my back to prevent me sleeping on my back, but I always end up at least partially on my back, as we must change positions at night. And I wake up, turn, drink, and mostly fall back asleep. Who knows how many times I have interrupted sleep but don't fully awaken and realize it. My arms hurt so badly, too. I must have OA in my shoulders as well. I am just falling apart at every joint. After decades of hardly anything being wrong with me, I am in full-tilt destruction mode. I swear, after menopause when you aren't getting those female hormones anymore, everything just goes to heck.
 
@Krista
I'm sure your feelings are a combination of pain & you probably do have sleep apnea. Before diagnosis my apnea had gotten so bad, my blood count was affected & I had what the doctor called "thick blood". It as amazing how much better I felt after that treatment.
Hold onto that hope! That and a determined, positive attitude are essential to your getting better and you are going to get better!
 
Wow, @SweetPea69, I had no idea apnea could cause problems with the blood! I guess I will be in apnea research mode for the next couple of days so I can be fully prepared for that appointment.

@Cynthia777, I deeply appreciate your good wishes. Hearts and flowers to you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom