THR 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Krista...you may recall we talked a while back. I had the medius sergery last August prior to my THR. Well I'm 4 months out from the THR and have been cleared to play golf...next to my granddaughter that's my passion!! I still have some residual weakness and pain after playing but it seems to be getting better..slowly. I still do PT 2x per week and that has really helped. Just wanted to assure you it will get better!! Prayers going up for you. Peace!! Golfernut
 
How absolutely wonderful, @GolferNut! Thanks for the update that you are golfing again, and that you are so much better. It helps enormously to hear that. I have had a few dreams in which I am walking with no limp and no pain, like a number of years ago. I am fairly certain that it is the torn GM that is what causing most of my pain and all of my limping, and the repair should fix that! It is hard to find reports of people who have had this surgery, since it has only been done recently, so I appreciate your comments.
 
I'm trying to visualize your pillow contraption because it sounds very interesting (who knows, maybe you can start selling them online) :-) My lower back always seems to hurt when lying flat without pillows under my knees. I think it's pretty common after a certain age. I'm with you about adjusting to sleeping styles. I've always been a stomach sleeper, but haven't been inclined to since having my first THR. I now fall asleep on my side, but I roll over to my back once I turn the tv off. After this second THR, if I stay on my side I wake up in pain for some odd reason. I'm happy you will have the sleep study behind you before your surgery. One less thing to worry about. I'm not sure I could be as patient as you've been waiting for them to reschedule. Hang in there missy. :console2:
 
Good luck with the sleep study. If they put you on a a CPAP, be aware that it takes some getting used to. I was put on one about 2 years ago and it makes a difference. I go through periods where I stop using (various bad excuses). It takes a lot longer to get used to the habit of using it than it does to get out of the habit. I feel so much better when I am using it regularly.

I am also interested in this pillow contraption. :sleep:
 
@gullimac, apparently if I do have enough apneas on the night of the study, during the second half of the night I will be put on a CPAP. I am sure it won't be easy to get used to it in general, and I also am sure it will be very difficult that night. If it appears to help, then I will get a machine of my own. I've heard you have to try different apparatuses for your face until you find one that works best. I am thinking the whole CPAP thing is a can of worms, but a very necessary one. I will welcome any comments you make on what worked for you in terms of face mask, nose cover, whatever. I don't know enough about them yet to even ask proper questions!

I'll take and post a photo of my double pillow creation tomorrow. I needed to make it two pillows so that it covers the whole width of my twin bed, so that my legs don't just fall off of it. And it has to be pinned down, otherwise it moves all around and gets kicked off the bed, causing more awakenings. Who knew it would be so complicated to just sleep somewhat peacefully.
 
@Krista - Good luck with your sleep study. I hope you get the perfect solution so you can sleep peacefully. Looking forward to seeing your pillow contraption!
 
Here is the pillow set-up, not very complicated. I sewed the two king-sized pillows together, and then put them into two pillowcases that I had cut in half and sewn together. I had to pin them down to the bed so that they didn't migrate during the night, or get kicked off the bed. I have them attached at the bottom corners and along the side next to the wall with large safety pins. I located them so that they go all the way up to the tops of my legs, and I can put both legs on top when on my back, and one on top and one under when on my side. Second photo shows how I have the upper corner by the side of the bed unattached so I can get my leg under it during side sleeping. The third photo is how it looks when I throw the quilt over it -- lumpy and messy, but oh-so-comfy!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'
    IMG_2797.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 341
  • [Bonesmart.org] 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'
    IMG_2799.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 348
  • [Bonesmart.org] 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'
    IMG_2800.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 306
@Krista oh my goodness surgery cancelled !! I think that the closer we get to surgery date, we fear that more than the surgery. I feel so bad for you. Keep calling them - remember the story about the squeaky wheel !!!



RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
Hey, folks, I've discovered a new use for a crutch, other than just holding up my broken carcass. While driving, I heard a sound like two pieces of metal scraping together lightly under my car. I stopped and looked underneath to check it out, didn't see anything hanging, and gave a whap with my crutch to something under there. Presto, I'm not hearing the sound anymore!

On a slightly more serious note, I went to my podiatrist today. I wanted to have him check out a discolored spot on the tip of my big toe, looks like a bruise, but has been there for months. He says it is a sign of bad circulation in that spot, so poo on another sign of my body disintegrating. I will just keep an eye on it. He also trimmed a corn on the foot on my "good" side, which makes it much less painful when standing. I'll be using that leg a lot more when I am non-weight bearing on the other leg in the near future, and I want it to be in the best shape possible. Had him cut my toenails, too, since, although I can do it myself, it is difficult, and I don't want to cut any skin. He cautioned me not to cut them too short when I do it myself, since that can lead to ingrown toenails. I love my podiatrist. He is the most cheerful and sweetest old guy that I know. And he can actually help me, right then and there. No waiting!
 
What a good question, @Cynthia777. The big toe with the darkened skin IS on my surgical leg, and the darkened skin wasn't there before my THR last July. Who knows...the podiatrist didn't indicate that there was any connection. It doesn't feel any different. I put my full weight on the surgical leg many times every day. Today I have walked 4,500 steps. Sigh. Mysteries...
 
Getting old is tough and I don't take kindly to it! Heck, it was just yesterday when I thought my folks were old because they were in their 50's! My, oh my, how time flies when you're having fun! I've just now started to get some minor health issues here and there and I'm pretty sure it isn't up from here. With that being said, once my hips are working well again I'm going to enjoy every little minute and then some (as I'm sure you will too).

I must say I can't believe you're walking so far with the pain your in! Dang, I didn't walk that far in a day BEFORE my hips went bad! You're one feisty lady. Hugs my friend :friends:
 
So true, @Cynthia777, that getting old is hard. Yes, it will be so wonderful to be able to walk pain free. I can hardly even imagine it. I can actually walk fairly well as long as I use a crutch or rollator walker. Will only use a rollator, as it allows me to really cruise along quickly. It's not even so much about the pain, since it doesn't hurt too much except for unexpected awful twinges if I get into the wrong position. For me, it's more about the disability of the torn gluteus medius muscle that just won't do its job holding my hip steady. So it's always having to use a walking aid and being unable to do so many things. My daughter has tried my crutch, and she says it's quite difficult for her, and she is VERY athletic. I just cannot truly believe that I will ever walk unaided again. I act as if I believe it, but I try not to get too invested in the idea, in case it doesn't happen.
 
@Krista oh no, please don't say that! Yes you will get better! You're right your upcoming surgery is what's causing you stress and pain. But after that you will soon get going.
You know most of our improvements happen when you're not looking! I was really concentrating on my walk and not limping, but I couldn't do it. Now I've had my vein surgery, I've focused less on my walk. Now today I notice I can walk without the limp - not all the time, because I still have some weakness, and I'm still on restrictions.
Now I'm not suggesting you go and have some other surgery lol but maybe try not to focus too hard ??
I hope you have a great weekend, and have a very happy Mother's Day xxx


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
Bless your sweet heart @Krista! I just know you're going to walk without an aid again. I stand on that word! Before my THR's I tried using crutches and I found them impossible. I was on the verge of purchasing the arm crutches that Jaycey had mentioned, but ended up just using my walker at home (I didn't want to embed the limp into my brain) and a four prong cane when going to doctor appointments (I rarely traveled anywhere else during the months preceding my THR's).
I know you've waited so patiently for that phone call to reschedule your surgery, but I just can't see how you do it. Maybe you should start calling twice a week?
 
@Simplieme, you are so sweet! I do think that the upcoming surgery will take care of the problem, but I've had it so long, it doesn't seem real that anything will change! Glad that your vein surgery went well and that your limp has gotten better! Hope your weekend and Mother's Day will be excellent, too. My daughter will be here, and we will be baking, cooking and possibly grilling. I go out to eat on the weekends all the time, and so this will be special time of family meal preparation and togetherness. Too bad my son is 2,000 miles away, but he will be here in spirit.
 
Ha ha, @cynthia, I think calling once a week is enough! I don't want to get them aggravated with me. My sleep study is Monday, and that is distracting me, as well as doing lots of needed decluttering and cleaning around the house. Our "mud" room has lots less mud in it now than it did a few days ago. And there are many sparkling windows that haven't sparkled in a decade or more! My daughter asked what has gotten into me. It is just nervous energy and a distraction, I'm sure, but with very good results. When cleaning out a giant 2 foot pile of old recipes clipped from newspapers with the newsprint falling into pieces, I found one from 1977. It came from a newspaper that no longer exists (The Chicago Daily News), from a department store that no longer exists (Marshall Fields), about one of the greatest sandwiches that ever DID exist! That's how bad things have been. I also finally organized all of my husband's tools in the basement, a mammoth job. Witness this single example of all the screwdrivers that I found. I am having a contest to guess how many there are in the bin!

Bottom line...Must. Distract. Self.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'
    IMG_2816.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 238
@Krista - It's a good feeling cleaning out the old stuff and decluttering, isn't it? I actually did a lot of that during my 2 THR recoveries these past 4 months. I threw out bags of old paperwork and donated bags of my families' old clothing and shoes. The house feels shinier now! Make way for the new!

That photo of the screwdriver collection cracked me up! :heehee:

Good luck with your sleep study on Monday. :sleeep:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom