THR 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Krista
Hi Krista, I understand the feeling old with what you must have gone through. Seems like the longer a person is in pain & unable to do what one is normally able to do leads to an understandable feeling of vulnerability. It also leaves us unsure of how to cope & where to turn.
I am so glad you have your husband and sister as a great support system & that your daughter is available to you! It is hard to accept what is & move forward but I know you are doing that one step at a time. I also am also so glad that you have found BoneSmart & the other website that are valuable resources to you. Take care if yourself and allow your family to take care of you. Since you are the one who has always done everything for others (as I am) I know it's especially hard to ask for help. We have to remember others need to be able to give too. My thoughts & prayers are with you.
SweetPea69
 
@Krista Hello Krista. So glad you will schedule a date within a few days. I'm sure it is a relief. Soon all of this will be over and you will be on road to recovery. Where are you having your surgery?

You are blessed to have help from your family. Pre and post op are hard on our family as well.

Take care Krista
 
Krista - During my THR my surgeon also repaired a torn Gluteus media and the tendons that attach the Gluteus media to the Greater Trochanter. This was from damage done before the surgery. I can now stand without that hip dropping and without it buckling on that side. Getting the gluteus media repaired was almost as important as getting the THR. Glad you found a surgeon that can do that for you.
 
@SweetPea69, your words are very comforting. I thank my lucky stars every day for my husband and sister. They are golden, as is this forum!

@Arlene56, I don't know yet where the surgery will be done. I am hoping it will be at the one hospital the doctors have in common that has only private rooms! I doubt I'll be lucky enough for that to happen, but I can hope. I'll feel really good when I have a date and a place, and until then it involves more uncertainty, which is so hard to deal with after all this time. Deep breaths...will be going out with my dear sister today for some fun errands - free stuff from Victoria's secret and Bath & Body Works. Gotta distract myself!

@NellBell, how great it is to hear that you had this repair in conjunction with your THR and that it is successful thus far! I am thrilled for you, and it gives me hope for the future! Yes, it is a very important repair. I am much more debilitated now than I was pre-THR, as I had only had the overall bone-on-bone grinding pain for one serious incident, otherwise it was more of a selective burning that happened when I walked more than 15 minutes or so. Now I must use a crutch or walker at all times even though I am fairly certain that the hip replacement is sound.
 
Oh gosh @Krista and @Zelda, forgive my earlier post where I tagged Zelda instead of Krista!!! You know you're getting old when you proof read your post a day after posting and find your error when it's too late to correct it! How embarrassing and how sweet that you girls didn't correct me! :loveshwr:
 
No worries, @Cynthia777, I knew who you meant! Love your kind words. I have no doubts that I will get my muscles back. I am unable to make myself do exercise, but I am highly motivated to go hiking and visiting all the beautiful natural areas with the native plants and animals that give me such pleasure to see, so I will just walk when I can and I know my strength will return someday!
 
@Cynthia777 I was a bit confused when I read I was an active hiker! :heehee: Even before my hips started going I would clip the dog on his lead to give me a bit of a tow going up steep hills!
 
@cynthia, I'm looking forward just to normal walking again. You must feel the same. I had a moment last week (with canes still) where I could feel my stride lengthening out into the confident, bouncy walk I used to have years ago. It was just amazing!
And then my left hip did it's twingey thing and I had to stop. :groan:

But I'll get there! Maybe this time next year I'll see if I can get up one of the gentler hills round here and post a pic!
 
@Krista
I'm so with you on the exercises! I've purchased at least 7 or 8 gym memberships and used one of them faithfully for three weeks (longest duration of the bunch)! I think exercising is so boring, but I love any and all competitive sports. I wish I could change my mindset, but I don't think it's in the cards.

@Zelda
Would LOVE to see a couple of pics!
 
@cynthia and everybody, I have a date - May 9 - for exploratory surgery and gluteal tendon repairs with the two dreamy (and excellent) surgeons!

I am so excited! Will be getting pre-op packets from both the surgeons, and can't wait to get started with all that needs to be done. Have to find those post-op aids that I have hidden away. It's weird that I am so totally unafraid this time. I guess that since I have had the experience of having an awful limp and pain after THR, I figure that chances are things won't get worse. Although I know that could happen. But probably not!

I have to go back to the same hospital where I had my THR, and there were a number of things I did not like about it. But at least I know what to expect. What really counts is the expertise of the surgeon and proper post-op care. And I will be bringing noise cancelling headphones and earplugs with me this time!
 
Oh how wonderful @Krista (got your name right this time)! I can see why you would be so excited, with little fear. You've been in a far too long holding pattern and in pain as well! Gosh, I feel like it's happening to me! You know my prayers will be flowing for you every day my friend! Hugs and congrats!!!! :loveshwr:
 
@Krista
How wonderful!!! Yeah! May 9th will be here before you know it. You are at peace which is so much of the battle.
So happy for you. What hospital are you having it done?
Have a good evening.
 
Thanks, @Cynthia777! I will be two weeks behind you, and I will be cheering you on as you get through those first difficult weeks. It's kind of strange for me, not really knowing what will be done during surgery, so don't really know how long I'll be in the hospital or what to expect for physical recovery, but time will tell!

Right, @Arlene56, I expect these days to fly by! I'll be much better prepared this time, since I had a THR already, and had no forums for support last July or for many months after that. I'll message you the hospital name. I'm going to check out some local rehabs, just in case I need to go that route this time.

Since I won't be weight bearing (or very little WB) on the surgical leg, that will probably be kind of a problem for me, especially after surgery when on pain meds and with the weakness and fatigue. I'm not sure that my sore arms and weak "good" leg will be able to do the job at first.
 
@Krista
So glad you have the date & a time to look forward to when you won't be in constant pain!!! Congratulations!
Take care of yourself!
SweetPea69
 
Krista - That is such exciting news (and TWO dreamy surgeons - lucky you). I had a gluteal media tear too and torn tendons. When they did the THR they repaired the gluteus media and it's associated tendons. You'll be amazed at how good it feels to have that muscle repaired!!! It will put a spring right into your step.
 
@Krista So happy for you! Having a date changes your whole outlook doesn't it? It propels you forward, gives you a new game plan and fresh ideas on how to prepare for hopefully the surgery to end all surgeries! The headphones and earplugs are a great idea! I actually brought mine in but never got around to using them, wasn't in long enough this last time.

You seem to be a very organized person and I know you will have all your i's dotted and t's crossed this time around! And, Wow! Two surgeons to care and watch over you! I think that's so reassuring to think that can actually happen today in the healthcare system we have today! Good for you!:yes!:

In the meantime, stay healthy and work on building strength where you can! May 9th will be here before you know it!:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom