TKR 6-25-15 TKR op date

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's Labor Day Weekend, three days off! Having a BBQ tonight and then not sure. Knee feels pretty good but still my extension is short of what it should be. Anyone out there have any ideas on how to amend this? I know to put it on another chair and let it straighten out, but any others exercises? What is everyone else doing this weekend? Hope it's a good one!
 
I like this one from the library

Lie face down on a bed with the edge of the bed at about knee level or just below. Let your lower leg hang in the air. Start with a period of about 5 minutes several times a day and add another 5 minutes every 2-3 days until you reach 20 minutes a couple of times each day. Once that is comfortable, start adding weight to your ankle. Begin with 1 lb. and gradually add another pound of weight (to a maximum of 5 lb.) each week for the 20-minute sessions.

I listen to podcasts or audio books. Start slow...
 
Thanks @tigz and @Celle i tried the laying face down one. Can't hold for 5 minutes yet. Also have done the towel rolled one. I think I just got busy and quit and now it seems to be worse than before..... This knee surgery is certainly a challenge.
 
I do the face down one. It took me a while to get to 5 minutes and I haven't tried to move beyond that. My extension is -6 on my own, -3 with a tiny bit of force. I also do the rolled towel or pillow under the ankle. Hang in there, I think we'll get there. The only way to fail at this is to quit, right?
 
You are so close to my surgery date @hawk2go. I know we will get there, but it's frustrating? I can walk well, ride my bike, go up and down stairs correctly but still can't straighten right. I guess you can't have everything right? I am going to check out your story.
 
I think we all have our nemeses - yours is extension, mine is currently my swollen fat pad and - guess what - tight bands, lol!!! It is frustrating for sure!
 
we will definitely get there but we must absolutely unequivocally OBEY THE KNEE!
 
So at PT yesterday we worked a lot on stretches. Still at 115-120 for ROM and -3 extension. He says I really need to work both at home. I haven't been. When I am at work, I don't think about stretching.... well I am off 2 days as my mom has back surgery so maybe I can really stretch it out. But it really hurts on the extension....
 
I'm working 7 hours a day at home now. I use an office chair on wheels to sit on whilst work and I often roll back and forth to stretch my knee out and I also keep bending my leg back under the chair as far as I can. Multi-tasking - work and flex stretches at the same time!! -3 isn't so far off full extension, am sure you'll get there soon enough if you keep doing the exercises other folks on here have recommended. @CATSMUM works on her extension in the bath as it is soothing in the water - she may be able to give you some advice re trying this?
 
I do and it's been fairly successful, however, do not and l repeat do not force it. Gentle stretching will help nothing else though. I've only just restarted getting into the bath after my fall, and noticing the difference already. If it hurts when stretching he knee, stop immediately, it should not hurt when you do it.
 
Well I am getting better, longer with the lay on the bed stretch. Waiting at the hospital now. My mom is having a back fusion done.
 
That's good to hear re your extension stretch. Not so good re your mom, hope all goes well, sending good wishes.
 
Sorry been MIA. My mom is doing great, my extension is doing great, now gotta work on the bend. Funny how when one is doing well the other suffers? Anyone else have that issue?
 
Glad your mom is doing well. Takes a load off your mind, I know.
 
Funny how when one is doing well the other suffers? Anyone else have that issue?
exactly. My flex was great but the extension was not so I started focusing on the extension and it became really hard to do the bend exercises. When I focused on the flex, the extension suffered. Still.
 
This week has started out well. My extension is awesome, I am walking faster... Just the itband seems to hurt some but feeling hopeful that this knee is finally doing well :loveshwr:
 
This week has started out well. My extension is awesome, I am walking faster.
That's great news. Hope the itband pain eases soon.
 
So still moving pretty good, but still pain in the right side and it gets swollen by day's end. I guess I need to ice again, but I don't want to!
 
I think icing really would help. Just give it a try.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom