TKR 6-25-15 TKR op date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunatly I'm in a up and down job so can only ice lunch and after work

Has the swelling impeded your pt?
 
Hi all
I'm 4 weeks out and have a question on sleeping
How important is it to sleep on your back with the knee elevated ?

When can you sleep in your side ?

I've been told that sleeping on the side will have an impact on extension....but how long can that be for?
 
@Dearjr I was also about 3 1/2 weeks. Worked full time that week, but then cut down the next week and worked up to full time at 6. 1/2 weeks. Mostly I was just so tired..... But @Slainte did really well going back so I think it just depends on the person and the job?
@CATSMUM and @Raffs I am sore today from it but man it really got my ROM going well. Usually am sore the day after, but seems to be making me move forward with ROM.
@Celle yes, I will ask him on Tuesday :thankyou:
 
@Dearjr -I've never slept on my back with my knee elevated except for the 1st week. You can sleep on your side when ever it's comfortable to do. With my 1st knee I couldn't do that for about 3 months because I had bowing out of my leg that had to be realigned and it was too uncomfortable. With this 2nd knee, I've been able to sleep on my side from almost the beginning. In fact, it's more comfortable than sleeping on my back. My extension is great so I don't think there is any impact on that.
 
I have slept on my side most of the time. Any position that gets me sone sleep, lol. I was never told to sleep with leg straight and elevated, though many do.
 
I am at 8 weeks today. But 7 was better. I am more sore this week. I thiinki it may be PT. we really worked hard last time, and it felt good at the time, but now soreness! I am going to try and tone it down today. My extension is much better though.
I am back to taking a p ain't pill at night for sleep, so at least I am getting more sleep.
 
It's weird isn't it that we can feel better one week and then worst the next? Are you still doing your PT at home every day? If you need the pill to help you sleep then go for it. If it works, why not?
 
I try and do my bend and stretches everyday and walk, except PT days.

Today in PT
10 minutes sit down elyptical
12 minutes bike
Single leg pumps and double on the weight machine. 3 sets of 15 very low squats
Stretches and heal lifts, 1 minute each, 15 each leg, 3 sets

He says I need to strengthen my quads. Tried doing some bend dips, on one leg, but didn't get too many done.


ROM at 113 on my own!
 
Yep, that's kind of what I'm trying to do too. I tried to do some one leg bend dips too - nope, not gonna happen yet!
 
I did lots of activity yesterday. Walked a mile and it felt pretty good. I am still not very fast but faster! Mowed my lawn, laundry. Today I need to cook some casseroles for a friend who is having surgery. PT tomorrow then my 2 month post op visit on Tuesday. On Thursday I will attend the first bank board meeting ever. I have to record and take minutes. Busy week ahead.
 
Woohoo! Sorry not been around much due to birthday fun, will catch up properly tomorrow. Good updates!
 
Been busy busy! The OS says my knee is doing great! He says need to strengthen the quad more and time will take care of the scar tissue and tight band on the top of my knee. He says he tried to give the kind of knee that goes with a persons lifestyle, and since I am in my 50's and active, my knee is tighter than an older person. So, takes more to get it to extension and ROM.
So just time, PT and patience. Like us all. Pretty sore today. Hard PT on Monday, lots of walking yesterday as my OS is in a city 3 hours away so did some shopping afterwards and walked a lot. More PT today so wish me luck. Ice and elevation on the agenda tonight.
Have a wonderful day everyone and thanks for your concerns @Raffs and @CATSMUM.
 
Yeah! All sounds great and similar to what my OS said to me. You're having a busy week. Make sure you get some rest and ice later.
 
Oh and, most important, I got to take a bath last night!
 
A bath! How nice for you. I can literally not remember the last time I had a bath. Maybe 5 years or so? Just made that a goal. Maybe after Christmas. Have to get my other knee done and healed. Did it make you sleep better?
 
It was wonderful @Slainte ...... Something to look forward to and yes I went right to sleep..... Until 4 when the hubby woke me up snoring!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom