TKR 6-25-15 TKR op date

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand your reluctance to ice. I did a lot more walking today than usual - just running errands - nothing strenuous. I really hit the wall when I got home and the back of my knee is a bit ouchy. I was thinking that ice would feel so good. But darn it! I am past needing ice and it will show weakness if I ice. Realizing now that I am proving nothing to nobody by not icing. Off to set up my machine.
 
I have to ice at the end of every day. Not icing as much during the day, The Knee doesn't seem to need it.

I'm back in the office full time next week and have to take the bus because of significant driving restrictions as they set up the city for The Pope's visit. I am anxious about my ability to manage. On Friday, I took a trial run on the bus and realize that I need to carry my cane as a signal to all others. We'll see what happens.
 
I'm icing about 3 times a day now. Lunchtime, once I've finished work and again in the evening watching TV. I've ditched the cryo cuff and instead use ice packs. It does really help with swelling, tightness and pain. You sound like you're doing great, that's very good to hear.
 
At a full year after surgery, I still ice if I have had a particularly busy day. Not that there is anything wrong with my TKR, but I just find the cold gelpack is soothing.
 
I have been mia here. Busy life, knee getting better. Still going to PT as my ROM is not at 130 yet, but otherwise, just a little tightness on top of knee, numbness and some Pain on the outside. I guess time is what is needed..... I did ice on Monday after PT. trying to do exercises to work on ROM at home more. Still doing extension exercises too.
 
I have a question that is not knee related. My mom had a fusion of L4 and L5. She had leg pain, but usually only at night. She has not much pain in the day, but terrible at night in her calves. She went off the heavy duty pain meds, Norco, last Thursday, pain got so bad, back on them Tuesday. Do you think she may have went off them too soon to Tylenol? We will see the doc on Friday, but just curious if any of you know any thing about back surgery. @Josephine or @Celle. Thanks and hope it's ok to post this here.
 
I'm sorry, @tigwy11, but I don't know much about back surgery. I hope Josephine can help.
It sounds as if your mother did need the stronger meds for a bit longer, though.
 
@tigwy11 - I had an L4-5 fusion 3 years ago. I was on some level of pain meds for about 6-8 weeks; maybe a little longer. Like a TKR, I'm sure it varies from person to person. But if your mom's surgery was just 2 weeks ago, she probably needs her pain meds. Remember, it's still major surgery - there's an awful lot of healing still going on. I didn't really have any leg pain once the fusion was done but I was told that nerve pain might increase for a while. What I did have after I had been on my feet for too long, was the outside of one leg would go numb. That was the sign that it was time to go home and rest for a while.
 
Thank you @susie09 its pretty bad starting about 6 a night. She's trying 2 pain meds. Poor lady.
 
Icing right now seems to be a good thing after PT. have a good night. Going to my grandsons 6th birthday party.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Eat some cake for me. Children's birthdays are so important to them. Enjoy that magic.
 
Keep that knee up at the birthday party. It can't hurt!
 
@Josephine and @susie09 It was nerve pain. Now she will take neurontin. But takes a few days to build up. Her X-rays were great and her incision healing fine. I guess as the Nerves start lengthening, as they were pinched, it hurts.
 
It won't be an nerve impingement. That doesn't cause neuropathy. It's an inflammatory response in the nerve to being traumatised. neurontin (gapapentin) works by acting on the brain and changing the way the pain receptor brain cells process pain signals.
 
@Josephine thanks for the info. It has not been fun. The Neurontin has not kicked in yet. I had to take her to the emergency room last night and they gave her heavy duty meds to ease the pain. I hope it kicks in soon.... She's in pain and it's hard to see and I can't help.
 
I have a question about icing. After it the knee feels stiff for a minute or two is that because of the ice or because it is stationary for 20- 30 mins?

I would say from being stationary but maybe someone else can tell us @Josephine???
 
So last day of PT today! I am happy but sad. I really enjoyed my therapist. We had fun while he made me work hard. I am planning on working out now on my own, and will be at the same place so he said he would measure my ROM from time to time. The last day was spent on strength of my leg and trying to learn to walk. Without a limp. I really have to think about it.
It's still not totally healed, but oh so much better.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom