TKR 6-25-15 TKR op date

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still sometimes slip into a limp when I am not concentrating. I took a leisurely, non-purposeful, pleasant walk through the park today. It was just lovely despite the blustery day here.

@tigwy11 Do you get start up pain, when you rise from sitting or lying down? It bothers me most the longer I've been in that position and I have to stand for a minute or so, then take several very delicate steps before it works itself out.
 
@hawk2go iis not really a start up pain, just a little stiffness as I get going. More in the morning. I get up and down a lot during the day from my desk to the other areas of the office so maybe it's used to the up and down now. And yep, the longer I sit, the stiffer it can be.
 
My knees still get stiff if I sit in certain positions for too long - and one of them is almost 4 years old, the other being just a year old. The stiffness goes away after I take a couple of steps.
To me, it's just a bit of a nuisance, but far, far better than the arthritis pain I used to have.

I wonder if it's because they don't get lubricated while I'm sitting still?
 
It is difficult losing that we're supporter and sponge for our worries, but you soon adapt and there are many people here who have experience and knowledge.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Celle i bet that is it, lack of lubrication. @Legin yes, these bone smarties are the best for support and as our knees get better we need them less, but it's still good to be here and try and help others. I think life just gets in the way as you get busier, get back to work, back to real life, less time to spend on the forum.
 
Very true but then more people appear

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
 
Good for you @tigwy11. Like you, I just planned out the last 6 therapy sessions. It's so hard to think that now we're on our own. The healing goes on. I'm hoping I have the strength, patience and consistency to make this surgery worth all the trouble.
 
To me, it's just a bit of a nuisance, but far, far better than the arthritis pain I used to have.
Thanks @Celle. You often reframe with such nice perspective. That nuisance pain is waaaaaay more better that the bone on bone grinding pain. If the nuisance pain is all I have 4 years from now, I'll be quite the happy camper. (I made the mistake of reading one of the infection threads despite my pre-surgery self promise I would not. I got sucked in and it was like a train wreck, I could not look away. I won't be returning to that topic.)

@tigwy11 @momweb My therapy ended weeks ago and frankly I relish the reclaimed time. Now I can do more real life stuff without having to consider if I'll have enough left for PT later. I am not yet happy I did The Knee but not really upset I did it either. It is really nice to be able to do stuff and remove limits each week and not the reverse.
 
Thanks for the compliment, @hawk2go . :)

Yes, I do get occasional niggles from both my knees - after all, they both have big, metal, foreign bodies in them - but I know what my life would have been like without those TKRs.

I spent 9 miserable years of increasing pain and decreasing mobility before my first knee replacement. Without those artificial knees, I would be housebound and in a wheelchair by now. I'm thankful every day for the technology and skill that gave me back a normal life.

I'm sure that, as time goes by, you will appreciate your new knee more and more.
 
@hawk2go i am with you. Not upset I did it but not glad yet!
Can move better but still feels funny from the numbness and occasional stiffness
 
Celle is so right. I get some stiffness when I sit for a long time, particularly at the limit of my ROM, like in a restaurant without much leg room. But within a few steps it loosens right up. Most of the time I don't even think about my knees and they don't feel "artificial" to me.

I'm no athlete and I sure don't exercise enough :whistle: but every now and then even after a year plus with my 2nd knee I'll be doing something (like scrub the tub--glamorous, I know) and think "boy, I used to really struggle to do this before." Or making multiple trips up and downstairs without batting an eye.:egypdance:
 
I am with you all! The knee is so much better than the painful lumpy one I had. Still stiff, some aches and numbness but that will heal. Jus hope I can keep up with my stretches as I am still not totally where I want to be.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Went for a walk today, at a normal pace, around 3MPH, for 30 minutes, and it felt good. Trying to conquer the limp!
 
To help cure the limp, it can be helpful if you lengthen your stride a little.
It may be hard if you don't have full extension.
Try to concentrate on walking like this:
[Bonesmart.org] 6-25-15 TKR op date
 
So this week I am walking more and working out with weights, trying for 4 days a week. Done with PT. I still would like my ROM to be better on my own. I can force to almost 130, 115-120 on my own. Does that seem ok for 15 weeks?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@tigwy11 How are you measuring your ROM? Those numbers sound fantastic and I hear they will keep getting better. I don't have tools and finished PT about a month ago where I was -6 and 118 (i think). To gauge where I am now, I lie on my back and lift both legs straight up from the hip then bend them at the knee as far as I can (sort of like a Z). For extension, I press both knees into the bed to see how straight they can become. My left leg is behind my right on both flex and extension but not by much. I walk normally after those first few steps of stiffness and have been able to take stairs normally though down is still a bit of a struggle. I was able to do The Wobble at the wedding I attended this weekend. (the wobble ). I also Whipped and Naed Naed with my 4 year old grandson - hahahaha.
Wow - I didn't realize we were at 15 weeks already - wooohoooooooo! Go us!:yes!::yay:
 
I still would like my ROM to be better on my own. I can force to almost 130, 115-120 on my own. Does that seem ok for 15 weeks?
That sounds like a pretty good ROM for 15 weeks. You know your knee can do more because you've forced it - but please don't force it. The rest will come, in time.
Remember that ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all. Been MIA again. But life is pretty good. Working out a lot to strengthen my right leg, taking care of my mom who has has back surgery issues with nerve pain, and did get to do a fun day away with the hubby. My knee is better some days, I can walk well, but still the bend and extension! I know be patient.....
@hawk2go crazy dancing fool @Celle I know what you say is true, but I am not very patient .....
 
I am not very patient .....
Well, you have demonstrated great patience in coming this far in your recovery Grasshopper. Just a bit longer. You Can Do It!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom